2012 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Engine tried to fall out.

2012 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

TDI SE Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Manual)

Engine tried to fall out.
By vwdumpsterfire on

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I love the gas mileage my Passat gets, in fact I have averaged 48.2 MPG over 71,000 miles. Everything I have ever gained in gas savings has been completely erased by repair bills. The engine mount bolts fell out and the engine fell forward into the radiator hoses. Apparently the nuts and bolts for the DPF and EGR filter were missing as well, lucky me! I contacted VW and asked them how long they expected their engines to remain in the vehicle along with other miscellaneous nuts and bolts. In short the answer was, "just long enough to get you through the warranty!" In short I was told that none of this could possibly be VW's fault (since I was out of warranty) and good luck!

Favorite Features

I do appreciate the fact that my car was able to retain the lug nuts for 71,000 miles. I like the fact that the base model TDI basically comes with every feature you need. There were no options to add since everything was already included. The split rear folding seat was also a big plus for carrying longer items like skis and still having the ability to take a 3rd person.

Suggested Improvements

I don't know, maybe take care of your customers when the vehicle you make has an obvious manufacturers defect. I like that the service manager also said "this is freakish, I've never seen this happen in a vehicle." VW apparently hadn't either but was more than happy to charge me more than $2,000 (including the towing) to put it all back together for me. Thanks VW! :) My advice, buy anything but a VW. This car is gone and I'm never buying a VW again.