1996 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: GLX Passat Wagon

1996 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLX V6 Wagon (2.8L V6 5-speed Manual)

GLX Passat Wagon
By Meghan M. on

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

I am quite familiar with a lot of the issues I have been reading. One thing I have noticed with this car is that proper maintenance and proper fluids such as G12 coolant, premium gasoline, and synthetic oil are necessary for longevity. I have rebuilt the engine and replaced all of the gaskets, timing chain and tensioner, water pump, and cv shaft. I am approaching about 160k miles and I am still in love! Though, my boyfriend and I are VW enthusiasts and do many of the repairs ourselves and it is definitely important to find a VW mechanic and NOT a dealership. I will say, if someone is looking into this car, be prepared for a good amount of maintenance.

Favorite Features

5 speed transmission, heated seats, spacious, and the galaxie blue paint.. Love the color!

Suggested Improvements

Windows-I have TONS of issues with the front left window regulator.. Duct tape definitely should be required with the ownership with any VW. Door handles kind of stink, they freeze in the winter but nothing some WD40 co, and the AC is leaking. That is about all that I have got to complain about!