Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Let Me Tell You What's BUG'n Me
By steelfab

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought our 03 Beetle with the 1.8L with about 50,000 miles on it. Within weeks it had an engine light on. I have battled the engine light, among other things, ever since. We changed an injector and a coil pack on the number 2 cylinder because of a persistent miss. This was after diagnosis of codes would not narrow the problem down. Immediately following it began cranking hard on start and not starting until the second attempt. First code said crankshaft sensor so we replaced that. Had to replace camshaft sensor thereafter to fix the problem. Next it threw a coolant system code so we replaced the ECT sensor. After that the thermostat. This car was a reliability nightmare. Never ever again.

Favorite Features

The moon roof was nice and the leather interior was attractive. But the red seat panel leather on the passenger seat faded.

Suggested Improvements

Volkswagen, you should start over or forget this model. The original Beetle was very inexpensive and super reliable. They seemed to survive anything, though they were lacking a bit in comfort. The new Beetle is a complete 180 on that idea. The MSRP for this vehicle is outrageous for the low quality parts and manufacturing the consumer receives. Sure it's more comfotable than the original. I guess that is convenient when you are sitting beside the road waiting for roadside assistance to rescue you. I understand that all vehicles in a model year perform differently but this one has prompted me to warn everyone I know away from Volkswagen.

German Engineering?
By julse520

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this as my first car thinking I was being smart by buying something with good fuel econemy and reliability. I love to drive the car when it's working properly.For the first two months or so, she provided me with all of that until one day, during rush hour traffic, the car lost ALL power completely. After that, car SLAMS into gear. Now, the car likes to do that randomly in awful places. The turbo lag on a hot day is ridiculous. I feel like I'm going to be killed sometime soon. And also, all the plastic finishes in the interior break. Car is made extremely cheep. Oh yea, german engineering? It's made in MEXICO if that explains the awesome reliability haha

Favorite Features

My leather is beautiful blue matching the exterior color of the car. Turbo is awesome when it's not lagging. And also, you'll probably never get pulled over because really? What cop is suspicious of a bug?

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are in an awful place. Can't even fit a big gulp! If you're going to make a tiny econemy car, at least make it with fuel econemy over 25 mpg. My moms SUV does better than my car!

Spend your money elsewhere
By julianna33

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

From my experience with VW my car and others they are junk. They all break easily. I have had to repair so many things a 1K a pop 5 times at least. Not including maintenance things. The design so compact requires many hours of labor to remove and replace to get to certain things. Plus the headlight lens falls off and cost ALOT of money to replace which i have done twice now at $400 each lens assembly and its falling off again! Just a crappy car. My sister has a golf the transmission and engine are going. Other family members have toyota and honda and hey i have never seen a repair as stupid or as costly or as often as VW repairs are. Junkie cars and they say German engineering is the best HA

Favorite Features

Shape and cuteness of car

Suggested Improvements

This car needs so much help, terrible parts and exspensive

Over Powered Go Cart
By johnrushing

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned my Turbo S for almost 6 years and have loved every minute of it. I love the power the little 1.8t makes and how smooth the power comes on. I left mine stock up until last year and then started modifying it. I love the look on Mustang drivers when a little beetle pulls ahead of them. The handling is great, like it's on rails, and the fuel economy is good. Before modifying the engine I got my best mpg of 32 mpg by driving no faster than 65mph and not doing any jack rabbit starts. With the mods I am still getting 29mpg. I plan on keeping the beetle and seeing exactly what type of performance the 1.8t has in it, have seen a few putting out over 350hp and still very drivable.

Favorite Features

The smoothness of the engine, the crisp sure shiftsof the 6 speed. The way the car handles like it's on rails. How cheap it is to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Better plastic on the interior trim. Some cup holders that are actually usable.

BEETLE A GOOD CAR
By KELLY

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

BOUGHT AN 03 BEETLE AND PUT SOME MONEY INTO IT AFTER A ELECTRICAL PROBLEM AND IT HAS BEEN AN EXCELLENT CAR. i HAVE PUT SO MANY MILES ON THE CAR, THAT I WAS AMAZED THAT I DID NOT HAVE TO PUT AS MUCH MONEY AS AN AMERICAN CAR. IT IS DOWN TO THE WIRE AND I AM GETTING READY TO GET A NEW CAR AND THE BEETLE WILL GO DOWN AS ONE OF THE BEST CARS EVER MADE. tHE vw HAS SOME QUIRKS BUT I NEVER DROVE A CAR THAT DID NOT. tHE GERMAN TECH IS amazing!!! THE CAR LOOKS BRAND new ON THE OUTSIDE AND I HAVE BEEN GIVEN OFFERS TO SELL THE CAR BECUASE OF THE UP KEEP. VOLKSWAGON IS NO LONGER MAKING THEM AND I DOUBT THE BEETLE WILL RETURN SO I THINK A BEETLE IS BEST AS A SECOND CAR . I AM SAD BUT READY FOR NEW!

Favorite Features

SALSA RED... VERY FUN

Suggested Improvements

NONE..I NEVER DROVE THE PERFECT CAR NOR NEVER WILL