Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Lov my Bug
By gank

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I needed a commuter car. I bought my yellow bug used at 100K km. I now have 380K km on it. I replaced the clutch about 40K ago, upgraded to a racing clutch without the double throw. The car has has brakes at the normal interval, had to have have the AC repaired last year after 12 years service. Everything else works great, I hope to get 500K on her, the only issue I have is the running boards are too easy to rot out... but its a cheap fix. Im now looking for another TDI for the wife... BTW I drive it like I stole it and average 53-56 MPG Oh yeah, women seem to like the yellow beast.

Favorite Features

Mileage, heated Seats, design,

Suggested Improvements

a 4 door?

Solid, zippy, reliable, 48mpg(70%hwy) -54mpg(95%hwy) stock!
By genegenre

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 2000 Beetle tdi in 10/11 with 110k. It is now 12/12 and after getting a job as a courier recently, I have put about 40k miles on it. Zero break downs. Since I've owned it; 1. had to replace starter 2. AC compressor failed 3. Cruise control failed 4. stock speakers all blown (I listen to jazz & NPR so lil disappointing) 5. original shocks/struts really wearing out... Not perfect but damn good where it counts. The interior panels and dash are cheap and look awful but the seats are comfy. I sit in it 6hrs a day now & am very pleased with the lumbar support. Eng hums @ 70-80 and through rolling hills of Pittsburgh, I got 48mpg b4 w/ a 24mi trip to work now 50+ nearly all hwy.

Favorite Features

Handling. I can lift my foot off the clutch and take off on a 15 degree incline from a stop with no right foot.

Suggested Improvements

Too much head room. I am 6' and have 6" of space above me! A chop top would mean even more mpg! Plastic interior components scratch and crack.

Bullet Proof!!!!
By 2000vw

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

i purchased my vw 2 years ago with 133,000 miles on it and have had no problems with it ...took it to florida on spring break doing 85 mph all the way made it from indiana on 1 tank getting 52.3 mpg love it:) its got 204,000 on it now bout time for water pump and timing belt replacement just normal wear...i love my car:)

Favorite Features

fuel mileage:)

Suggested Improvements

none!!!

The little TDI that could
By Tim York

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I have been pleased to drive my bug for over 10 years. I have never had to open the engine. I do all maintenance including timing belt and oil changes. Replaced the clutch at 249,000 and have only had to do a little work on the A/C over the years. The TDI will outlast the vehicle itself as it is a workhorse that never gives up. In my type A days I got 38 to 41 MPG and over the last 100K I am averaging 43 to 46 but coasting in gear to stoplights and shifting at 2 to 2500. Will have to replace the old girl one day, but she feels like a old comfortable pair of tennis shoes that you just can't throw away. This is the best car that I have ever owned!

Favorite Features

TDI, torque, roominess, leg room

Suggested Improvements

Less wear related materials, i.e. Door hand grabs that peel off plastic, emergency break button that breaks, etc.

So you want to know about reliability?
By Sam

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car in 2004 with around 50,000 km on it. I wanted a TDI and was not disappointed. Averaging close to 60,000 km a year I no have over 400,000 Km on the car and it runs like clockwork. The TDI is the best invention yet. Reliable, efficient and relatively quiet. I get consistent 55- 60 mph in my 75 hwy and 25 city driving. I laugh when people talk about reliability when they drive a car for a few thousand km. Vw is quality and I have the km to prove it. I can't wait to purchase another TDI from Volkswagen. My hope is a new TDI tiguan as soon as we get them. Best car I ever owned.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy TDI engine It's a volkswagen

Suggested Improvements

There are some small electrical gremlins, namely speaker wires ect. Some of the hoses under the hood can get porous if you don't keep the bay area well protected from the environment.