2000 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Lov my Bug
By gank on 07/07/13 13:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I needed a commuter car. I bought my yellow bug used at 100K km. I now have 380K km on it. I replaced the clutch about 40K ago, upgraded to a racing clutch without the double throw. The car has has brakes at the normal interval, had to have have the AC repaired last year after 12 years service. Everything else works great, I hope to get 500K on her, the only issue I have is the running boards are too easy to rot out... but its a cheap fix. Im now looking for another TDI for the wife... BTW I drive it like I stole it and average 53-56 MPG Oh yeah, women seem to like the yellow beast.

Solid, zippy, reliable, 48mpg(70%hwy) -54mpg(95%hwy) stock!
By genegenre on 12/15/12 20:47 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 2000 Beetle tdi in 10/11 with 110k. It is now 12/12 and after getting a job as a courier recently, I have put about 40k miles on it. Zero break downs. Since I've owned it; 1. had to replace starter 2. AC compressor failed 3. Cruise control failed 4. stock speakers all blown (I listen to jazz & NPR so lil disappointing) 5. original shocks/struts really wearing out... Not perfect but damn good where it counts. The interior panels and dash are cheap and look awful but the seats are comfy. I sit in it 6hrs a day now & am very pleased with the lumbar support. Eng hums @ 70-80 and through rolling hills of Pittsburgh, I got 48mpg b4 w/ a 24mi trip to work now 50+ nearly all hwy.

Bullet Proof!!!!
By 2000vw on 04/08/12 21:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

i purchased my vw 2 years ago with 133,000 miles on it and have had no problems with it ...took it to florida on spring break doing 85 mph all the way made it from indiana on 1 tank getting 52.3 mpg love it:) its got 204,000 on it now bout time for water pump and timing belt replacement just normal wear...i love my car:)

The little TDI that could
By Tim York on 06/25/10 09:07 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I have been pleased to drive my bug for over 10 years. I have never had to open the engine. I do all maintenance including timing belt and oil changes. Replaced the clutch at 249,000 and have only had to do a little work on the A/C over the years. The TDI will outlast the vehicle itself as it is a workhorse that never gives up. In my type A days I got 38 to 41 MPG and over the last 100K I am averaging 43 to 46 but coasting in gear to stoplights and shifting at 2 to 2500. Will have to replace the old girl one day, but she feels like a old comfortable pair of tennis shoes that you just can't throw away. This is the best car that I have ever owned!

So you want to know about reliability?
By Sam on 01/25/10 13:29 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car in 2004 with around 50,000 km on it. I wanted a TDI and was not disappointed. Averaging close to 60,000 km a year I no have over 400,000 Km on the car and it runs like clockwork. The TDI is the best invention yet. Reliable, efficient and relatively quiet. I get consistent 55- 60 mph in my 75 hwy and 25 city driving. I laugh when people talk about reliability when they drive a car for a few thousand km. Vw is quality and I have the km to prove it. I can't wait to purchase another TDI from Volkswagen. My hope is a new TDI tiguan as soon as we get them. Best car I ever owned.

Still a great car after 10 years
By Dave McLaughlin on 11/10/09 10:59 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

The VW diesel is the best, who needs a hybrid. Mileage has been 38-45 mpg over the last ten years. Car is very comfortable with 5 levels of heat for the leather seats.Car has never let our family down. With the rear seats folded you have a lot of space to haul things. If you have to drive a lot, get a diesel, your savings will add up over time. We have 145k miles and still going strong. We bought it new and still like the car.

Fun & reliable
By Jenny on 07/15/09 06:25 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought the beetle new in 2000. I was looking for a small car with good mileage. The diesel version I drive gets nearly 50 mpg on the highway - love that! Safety was really important to me as I'd be driving my kids around town. The beetle has great safety ratings. What I didn't expect was how fun to drive this car would be. It is solid, hugs the road, and is super aerodynamic (I don't know what the last reviewer experienced but my beetle never even flinches in windy weather). Also, it has a great little sound system with a 6 CD changer - load it up, fill the tank, and your good for 500 miles. 150,000 miles and no major problems with this car.

Great Car, who needs a hybrid
By AJM on 11/16/08 20:18 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I was surprised by the features and how solid the car is. We have gotten over 50 mpg on the highway but mostly see 44 overall avg. The TDI powerplant runs well in the WI winters and offers power that few gas engines can offer. I purchased used for under 10 grand with heated leather seats, sunroof, 6 disk, 5 speed, alloys, etc. Why waste money on a hybrid - TDI is a "green" alternative.

Fun fun fun cheap cheap cheap
By ARE on 05/13/08 07:18 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I love to drive my Beetle. Great handling and driving dynamics. Very spacious up front but only enough room in the back for small kids (they love to ride in a bug). Huge cargo space in the trunk with the rear seat down. Great ergonomics, every single control is with in your fingertips. It is a car for people who love to drive. Some may say that it needs more rear room but the Bug is what it is a small sporty car, not a family car.

I Love My Diesel Bug
By vwbug2000TDI on 01/08/07 23:09 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I've never had a car that I have loved to drive so much. I always check out other VW's and they are checking me out also. It is like some secret club that I never knew about until I got my Bug. Who can forget the vase?