2009 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5L 5-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - A year and 20,000 miles

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

S PZEV Sedan (2.5L 5-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

A year and 20,000 miles later.
By Tom Cheesman on

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I still love driving this car. Handling and suspension are tight, no rattles or squeaks. Manual transmission is so much fun. Getting consistent 29-30 mpg with 80%/20% hwy/city. Going from San Diego to central California with four passengers, powered along @ 80 mph at times & car stayed planted and steady. Around 10k service, noticed slight tapping noise in engine. Dealer replaced valve camshaft at no cost. Total maintenance cost to this point is $0.00. Dealer provides free oil changes for life! While dropping daughter's Escape off @ Ford for service, a car shopper asked about my Jetta. I ended up doing a VW sales pitch to him in the middle of Ford dealership. VW is doing it right, so far.

Favorite Features

Plenty of head, shoulder, hip/leg room for 6'4" driver. Tight suspension, smooth manual transmission, excellent power and torque, car pulls along beautifully. On empty stretch of road, I got the car up to 90 mph and car pulled along effortlessly. Good gas mileage for non-hybrid/diesel. Huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Ability to open all the windows remotely, using the key fob. Right now, I have to turn the key in the door lock.