2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great Wagen for an amazing price
By David on 05/13/09 17:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Love this Wagon, and have found new features while using it on a road trip. One BIG problem is that the seats hug your back and don't let your lower back rest normally onto the seat. It almost squeezes your upper back and doesn't allow for proper breathing. Besides that, very happy with the my VW and would recommend it to anyone.

2009 VOLKSWAGEN TDI
By RODNEY on 03/25/09 19:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The car is great! It handles like a sportscar with good acceleration. It is smooth a high speeds. Lots of cargo space with the rear seats that fold down flat. Decent fuel economy averaging 35-39 mpg depending on speeds.

Love my diesel wagen
By ames on 03/10/09 21:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car is terrific. The range is525 miles per tank, and I'm getting over 40 miles per gallon highway and 34 city. Comfortable seating, plenty of cargo space, and I couldn't be happier

I Like it!
By Leigh on 01/21/09 14:10 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is my first new car in a long time after driving vans/mini-vans for the past 15 years. Handles great and very good acceleration when you want it. Feels real solid and sporty. I have 3900 miles on it and have been averaging 36 mpg. I am hoping that will improve in the summer to make up for the .80-1.00 more per gallon over gas.

Best Overall Car
By TDICT on 12/15/08 08:19 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have owned 15 cars over the past 30 years ranging from a Subaru to a Porsche. The Jetta TDI is the best overall so far. Low price, great gas mileage, fun to drive, roomy, great build quality and love the huge sun roof.

Driving the Jeta TDI
By david groth on 11/23/08 18:49 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

My wife and I enjoy driving our new Jetta TDI. We have been achieving 33 mpg in city driving and 43 mpg on the highway as long as the auto is driven sensibly. The new diesel is much quieter than we expected, and there is almost no odor on start-up, even on 20 degree mornings! The seats are a bit larger than the older style Jetta, but are still firm and comfortable. Rear legroom has also improved. While I would not classify this auto as a true sports car, it does handle well. The fit and finish of the interior is excellent, and all controls are well placed. Overall, we are happy with our purchase. It's a lot of car for $23,000.

Move Over Prius, Here's The New Standard
By Bryan on 11/02/08 17:45 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Watch out, all you denizens in your hybrid econo boxes with 500 pound batteries under the backseat and your smug looks at the stoplight. I've seen the future, and am driving it now. That future is the 2009 Jetta TDI, especially the Sportwagen model. Imagine averaging, in a new, tight, not broken-in engine, 50+ MPG on the highway on cruise control, and in the high 30s in town, with lots of torque, comfortable interior, German engineering, and handling which, while not as good as my Lotus Europa, is a LOT more responsive and tight than a lot of more pedestrian cars. Do yourself a favor, hie yourself down to your VW dealer and drive one for yourself. You will NOT be disappointed.

Quirky litle car
By hermann_g on 10/30/08 08:14 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Convenience features leave me a bit unimpressed, considering the high cost. Mostly manual seat adjustments, no steering wheel audio controls, and a really annoying radio electronic lockout feature. With diesel fuel now up to 30% higher than normal gas, the fuel economy advantage is questionable. Given a 30% price diff, if you get 45 mpg, a 35 mpg gas burner costs you pretty close the same. You need to use an expensive specialty motor oil. Clean diesel? I can sniff a tiny whiff of diesel exhaust as I am driving, so folks with respiratory issues may want to pay very careful attention to this during a test-drive. (Maybe some residue on the engine that will burn off eventually.)

Great MPG, can't believe the savings
By peanut on 10/19/08 21:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I picked it up in Tampa and drove 800 miles home. I got 42 mpg on average and the engine is not even broken in yet. The storage is great and will be perfect for my sales job. The savings on gas even with Diesel being higher is really great. Fun to drive, just as peppy and fun as the BMW X3 I drove. I would recommend to the person who wants to be environmental but needs a functional engine. I was able to pass trucks and get out of the way when needed which was my only concern initially. Did get the extended warranty being a new engine and style.

Incredible overall package
By RBJetta on 10/13/08 08:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I recently purchased a TDI Sportwagen with the panorama sunroof and 6-speed manual. I have driven the car about 500 miles. I have averaged 39 MPG and have gotten up to 46 on longer highway trips. The size is perfect, roomy back seat and plenty of cargo space. The huge sunroof really brightens up the black interior. The car is plenty peppy and a lot of fun to drive. Overall I am very satisfied so far.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta in VA is:

$121 per month*