2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews 14

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Driving the Jeta TDI
By david groth on 11/23/08 18:49 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

My wife and I enjoy driving our new Jetta TDI. We have been achieving 33 mpg in city driving and 43 mpg on the highway as long as the auto is driven sensibly. The new diesel is much quieter than we expected, and there is almost no odor on start-up, even on 20 degree mornings! The seats are a bit larger than the older style Jetta, but are still firm and comfortable. Rear legroom has also improved. While I would not classify this auto as a true sports car, it does handle well. The fit and finish of the interior is excellent, and all controls are well placed. Overall, we are happy with our purchase. It's a lot of car for $23,000.

Great car,
By Darin on 11/18/08 10:13 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I was really impressed with the Diesel as an alternative to a hybrid. I had a Civic Hybrid that was a great car, but had no guts when you needed it. This car has it in spades. The diesel's torque makes for a much more pleasant driving experience while returning similar fuel economy. The only thing I can't figure out is a high pitched noise that is constantly going. It's not the turbo. This noise is coming from the rear passenger quarter of the car and is especially noticeable after shutting off the engine. No one else seems to hear it, but it makes my ears feel like they've been screamed in after I drive it. Hopefully, it's a break-in issue that will go away.

Nice Combo
By Shaun on 11/17/08 14:15 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is a unique blend of qualities. Nice design and build. Nice interior. Great fuel economy (30 to 40)and nice performance from this drive train. Fun transmission that can drive like a manual in sport mode. Good handling from this zippy car. From 0 to 50 mph this car is quick which is not expected with this kind of economy. It also has Audi interior cues such as info center on dash. It is the same as my A6. No diesel smell or noise. Pleasantly surprised from a former BMW 328 owner.

What a Change from My '05 Cadillac STS!
By Rick Williams on 11/12/08 10:16 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Bought this car in PA and drove it home to SC. I took secondary roads all the way home to make sure it got broken in properly and I still got 43 MPG. I am very happy with the comfort, fit and finish, and fuel economy and I love the DSG. I can barely feel it shift. The car drives firmer than my old Caddy but in a good way. It just feels more solid and it's certainly as comfortable. My only concern is long term reliability since I've read about earlier generation Jettas having some significant quality issues. Only time will tell if VW has improved on the quality.

1 week in
By jack on 11/11/08 14:12 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

1 week into owning this car and I couldn't be happier. I'm shocked at the power this car has. My last car was a GTI VR6, granted it had over 120k but this TDI has just as much pick up. I have full confidence powering into traffic from a stop. This is a simple, elegant and very well designed car that inherits many technical, structural and visual cues from Audi.

You can have it all!
By Randy on 11/11/08 12:09 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded a 2003 Jetta TDI for this and it is everything the 2003--that I liked--was times 4. Mine has only the gorilla mats option and I can't think of anything else I would have wanted. The quality is much better than the 2003 (fit, finish, etc). The electronics are superb. Road sound is almost non-existent. The engine is just fantastic. Great power and quiet. I get 36 MPG on the low side and 46+ on the highway. I average around 39-40 and NOTHING is flat where I live, all up and down hills. In a flat region of the country, I have no doubt 50+ MPG would be easy.

Rented one and have to have one
By Francedrive on 11/07/08 12:17 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

My wife and I went on a vacation where we drove across France. We were given an '09 Jetta TDI. We averaged 48 MPG, 2 suitcases and various bags and was mostly comfortable w/ the sport seats. Fun to drive with the manual up the small winding roads in mountains. Was skeptical of the diesel engine, but after going 1500 miles @ 48-50 MPG, hitting 110 MPH with no shake, I am sold...

Move Over Prius, Here's The New Standard
By Bryan on 11/02/08 17:45 PM (PST)

Watch out, all you denizens in your hybrid econo boxes with 500 pound batteries under the backseat and your smug looks at the stoplight. I've seen the future, and am driving it now. That future is the 2009 Jetta TDI, especially the Sportwagen model. Imagine averaging, in a new, tight, not broken-in engine, 50+ MPG on the highway on cruise control, and in the high 30s in town, with lots of torque, comfortable interior, German engineering, and handling which, while not as good as my Lotus Europa, is a LOT more responsive and tight than a lot of more pedestrian cars. Do yourself a favor, hie yourself down to your VW dealer and drive one for yourself. You will NOT be disappointed.

Quirky litle car
By hermann_g on 10/30/08 08:14 AM (PDT)

Convenience features leave me a bit unimpressed, considering the high cost. Mostly manual seat adjustments, no steering wheel audio controls, and a really annoying radio electronic lockout feature. With diesel fuel now up to 30% higher than normal gas, the fuel economy advantage is questionable. Given a 30% price diff, if you get 45 mpg, a 35 mpg gas burner costs you pretty close the same. You need to use an expensive specialty motor oil. Clean diesel? I can sniff a tiny whiff of diesel exhaust as I am driving, so folks with respiratory issues may want to pay very careful attention to this during a test-drive. (Maybe some residue on the engine that will burn off eventually.)

My first Volkswagen
By Sharon on 10/27/08 17:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have never owned a VW before, but wanted better gas mileage. Upon a lot of research, I purchased the TDI. I drive 11 miles to work and mileage keeps increasing. I have 1100 miles on car now and it gets an average of 40 mpg. I haven't been on any long trips yet, but look forward to increasing mileage. It states 600 miles per tank. My previous car got 22 mpg and 240 a tank for the same trip! It has a lot of pep, room and lots of extras. I look forward to having it for a long time and driving it on long trips.