Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Most Helpful|
The US needs more diesels like this
By Rickallen

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought this car as a replacement for a hybrid that just didn't cut it for me. The VW makes up for all of the performance and comfort trade-offs of a hybrid but with little penalty to the MPG's. I actually average about the same or better with diesel than I did with the hybrid - about 39 mpg over the life. Acceleration of the line makes passing slowpokes easy and squirting in and out of stop and go traffic is a breeze since it gives you "right now" torque. My only disappointments have been some annoying rattles, an audio system that gives me headaches, and no aux in if you have the ipod adapter. Other than that, I can't complain. I think I'm spoiled for anything but diesel.

Favorite Features

Torque, seating position (I'm 6'4"), highway handling, DSG transmission, 3- blink turning signal for lane-changes (simple, yet genius), trunk size(plus it opens on struts, not goose necks that eat trunk space)

Suggested Improvements

Better cupholders, ipod control that actually lets you control the ipod (not just cycle thru your playlists), LED tail-lights and DRL's, AWD option, thicker glass, more sound insulation in floor and firewall, bring the new 7- speed DSG to the TDI.

fuel pump failure
By Steelyeyed

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

While still under warranty, the HPFP failed and the whole fuel system has to be replaced as a result. AND VW will not pay for repairs which are $10k. VW developed a HPFP which is susceptible to lack of lubrication using the ULSF which is required by law, and it comes apart after 25k miles. VW blames it on bad fuel, but what reasonable person buys a car that one has to test the fuel on fill up? The Siemens pump is especially vulnerable and you should insist on the Bosch fuel pump.

Favorite Features

Do not buy this car! It is not ready for the market as yet. the repairs are the same as the cost of 120000 miles of fuel.

Suggested Improvements

re-engineer to operate for long mileage and adequate lubricity. AND, stand behind your product and pay for repairs.

sehr gut!
By nivek3

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my first VW and I really dig this German car. I have always wondered about the people that are fanatical about their VWs. Now I know. The build quality absolutely kills anything American built. The handling and comfort are excellent. Did I mention the gas mileage? Highway is rated for I believe 42, yeah on bad day. When I travel long distances I get around 50. I really have enjoyed this car and I know see why people get obsessed with VWs.

Favorite Features

Interior build quality, gas mileage, and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Cheaper sales price.

First Diesel
By WisconsinOutdoors

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my first Diesel car. Like anyone who is considering the GAS vs. DIESEL debate we read so many online articles that we eventually got a headache. First Impression - We now have 700 miles on the car and on a 80 mile highway trip I averaged 42 mpg - driving 60-70 mph. Driving 75 or higher mpg dropped slightly. I have not been able to judge the city mileage yet. For anyone that is considering one best advice - test drive one. Great handling, good features, low road noise, and European design. Until I have to fill up I don't even realize I am driving a diesel. If diesel prices stay were they have been for my last three top offs it should pay for itself very quickly. You get what you pay 4

Favorite Features

European Handling and Design. Low Road Noise. Great feature is every single button from windows, locks, etc. has lights for night driving.

Suggested Improvements

All power seating.

Beware!
By shallquist

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This review is for the 2009, but based on my research affects all TDI models. All TDIs have a High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) and they are prone to failure when the diesel fuel gets contaminated. My Diesel somehow got water in the diesel and apparently based on the rust in the tank this had been an on going problem. At 107000 miles the fuel system had to be replaced to the tune of $5,800 dollars. Apparently diesel fuel standards in the US are lower than that of Europe and VW hasn't taken that into consideration. Please CONSIDER this when purchasing.

Favorite Features

Automatic Trip computer is very useful. I like the panoramic sunroof, but have begun to dread it since the drain tubes clog often and water ends up collecting in foot wells.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the HPFP and put in a system to detect bad fuel!