2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
won't buy one again
By used to love vw on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but problems with my '01 GLX VR6 sedan. The biggest and most frustrating problem I have had is everytime I would use my rear defroster, the radio would go complete static. VW worked on this for over a year taking my car in over 10 times and finally this month just fixed the problem after a brand new radio ( that wasn't the problem) and finally a new rear window. The first week I had my new car the snaps that on the mats all broke off, my car wouldn't run one night because it was raining and they had to put new coiling in the engine, the drivers heated seat has not been working, the engine is not smooth and many times "skips".

Mexico+Tequilla=1.8T
By crabbykaiser on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The engine, suspension and transmission have been excellent. The brakes as well as the fit and finish have been a constant source of aggrevation. Although properly cared for the supposed quality BBS rims have been CRAP! Rattles in the speaker area, faulty rotors and rims that pit/clear coat failure make me a rather proturbed owner. After ditching a 99' Beetle for similar reasons, this one will follow shortly. My days with Volkswagen have come to an end.

GLX Wagen
By tubs on 11/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Since bought as demo with 4k, front roters have been replaced, cupholder non-functional, power roof adjusted, then would not close completely, and the transmission is absolutely horrible, in that it upshifts too quickly when starting from a stop, then downshifts abruptly just to keep up a moderate acceleration. During this, the RPM jumps back and forth from 1500 to over 3k. Dealer has told me twice that the tranny is normal, but in over 500,000 miles and a lot of vehicles, I have never driven such a strange transmission. Next is to the VW rep, I guess, or lemon suit.

Ticking Time Bomb
By klc on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

29k mi. Have replaced the transmission, AC..twice, window clips..twice (window dropped into door), climatronic ac thermostat, CD player, radio, cup holder, center console/leather arm rest..(handle broke), battery...(they used unsealed batteries before 2002 which leak in hot weather like here in Houston), and have reprogrammed transmission points...8 times (red lines and shakes car). There is 2 second delay when shifting from R to D. The brakes wear out at 15-20k mi and have no sound indicator so that you ruin the routers w/out even knowing it. This wolf in sheepÂ’s clothing will take every dollar you have in repairs.

Call it a VW Lemon Instead
By ajm220 on 11/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'll like my Jetta but here's why I'm selling it: Month 3: the rear brake lights blew out (look around at Jettas others are driving, you'll notice the same in most). Month 4: O2 sensor blew out. Month 6: O2 sensor I replaced blew out. Month 10: engine wouldn’t start (something about some fuse?). Month 16: left back brake worn out, grinded the rotator Month 23: front right signal and left front head lamp blew out at the same time -- Folks, the repairmen gave me the parts that blew out and they were BURNED TO A CRISP Month 24: I’m selling the car

One of the few happy Jetta owners
By MyJettaOK on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Considering trading for new GTI was going to look at those reviews and thought I'd check the Jetta reviews first. Wow. Surprised by all the problems. Have the base GL with 5sp. Added alloys wheels and CD player. So far, knock on wood, no problems. Electrical, engine, windows, etc. all fine for last 2 yrs. Car has been just as reliable my last Acura. Been to the dealer only for 2 oil changes and to install CD player. Hope the GTI reviews are better or I may stick with what I have. Cool message board.

The Oil Consumer
By Varina on 10/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Burns 1 quart of oil every 3000 miles - even though the ownder's manual says it can go 5000. Also, owner's manual claims oil burning will go away after "short break-in" period - it does not go away ever.

Buyer beware !
By sammy(alias mario) on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought our Jetta on 10/2000 , a shiny black one with beige interior, it was beautiful! After the honeymoon was over ( about 10,000 miles ) reality set in. This car is not reliable or fun to live with ! The cloth they use for the interior picks up anything and everything and always looks dirty, plus it's impossible to clean. The engine is peppy at low speed but on the highway it always sounds like it needs to be up-shifted to a higher gear. The doors leak out a gooey mess all over the rocker panels in hot weather. Both front side windows fell down inside the doors ( one twice so far ). The turn signals quit working at 30,000 miles ( new flasher @ $120 ).

Great little car
By Jackdtennessee on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This 2001 just keeps geting better, averaging 46+mpg of diesel and loving every mile. THe best part is the dealer service department. relatively few problems, but my next car will definitely come from Harper. I also have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer that cost twice what this car did and they (Chevy) have convinced me to buy VW next time with their attitude.

Volkswagen Jetta Sucks
By parker on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

In one year, I have brought in my VW over 10 times to have it fixed.It is never a good sign when you know everyone by their first name in the service department. The customer service is horrible. No matter the problem, drivable or not, they could not work me into their schedule unless it was atleast a week away. My car is under warranty and they will not give me a loaner. I have currently been a week and 4 days without a car. If you're thinking of buying a VW, think again. Just go to your local service department at the vw near you and you'll see how many people are waiting.