2002 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: '02 Indigo Blue GTI 1.8T

2002 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Review

'02 Indigo Blue GTI 1.8T
By rfernatt on

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great looking car, especially with the very affordable 17" wheel package, and a blast to drive. My only complaints thus far are with a few interior squeaks and rattles. I guess I was expecting a little more quality control in this area. However, materials are top notch. There are some great design features such as the way the front seats move up and away for access to the rear seat - pretty cool! Then, there are some pretty poor design features - what were they thinking when they placed the cupholder to block the radio controls and drip liquid down the center stack?

Favorite Features

Engine power, 17" wheels and tires, turbocharged engine, interior materials, cool instrumentation lighting at night, various thoughtful features such as the hood release latch, did I mention how powerful the 2002 1.8T engine is?

Suggested Improvements

Fix the squeaks and rattles inside, move/redesign that darn cupholder, better dealer service, OEM Monsoon stereo should sound better stock, chassis rigidity and/or firmer suspension, don't inflate all tires to 46psi (makes new owner's teeth rattle!).