Used 2004 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Most Helpful|
Close but No Cigar
By Finch

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Gold GL TDI is fun to drive, gets great fuel mileage, and has a reasonable price. I want to keep this car forever, but the electrical system is lacks reliability. I've had two airbag sensors needed replaced, one air bag, O2 sensor, thermostat, and a fuel pump. All of which were covered under warranty, but this leaves the question of keeping the car after the warranty has expired. If I had to pay for these things it would be the worst experience I've ever had with a car used or new. I'm at 49,000 miles now and cannot decide if I should keep the car or not.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage rocks. It is super quick for a vehicle that gets 41 mpg. It is very agile and handles corners well.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a better electrical system and better warranty.

Painfully unreliable
By Peter

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We liked it all till we had it a week. The weather turned cold. The car had no heat, replaced the computer. Had to go back numerous times to find the problem. Still not good heat. Would not start. Ignition key assembly replaced. Glow plugs quit. Other electrical controls faulty. Car jerks and bucks. Transmission controls were replaced through a complete removal, repair, replace. Still not fixed. Very noisy rubber bushings in the rear were replaced but needs it again. Economy is about 38-40 mpg, not the 65 that was advertised. There are numerous annoying squeaks and rattles in the dash and front doors. VW dealership is trying, and the warranty is still working. Ouch!

Favorite Features

Attractive design. Nice handling, good brakes. Love the dash lights and design. Good cruise controls, and headlights. Fair visibility all around. Heated seats are excellent

Suggested Improvements

Electrical system needs a serious overhaul for dependability. Power seats would be welcome. Options for GPS, compass, mileage etc. A more comfortably designed seat, a bit softer and more adjustable, as well as more easily adjustable. Tilt steering.

The best car I have ever owned
By dennycreekls

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My Golf 2.0 (2004) Automatic 2 Dr. Hatchback is the best little car I have every owned. I bought the car with only 3000 miles on it--it now has 36,000 and still purrs. It rides clean and very quiet--the interior is pretty--the exterior sporty. NOTHING HAS EVER GONE WRONG WITH MY LITTLE BABY GOLF. I put the gas mileage at around 38 MPG/on HWY-little less in city (I don't do city though) The only item that needed to be replaced from 3000-36,000 miles was my battery because I drive the car from the Pacific Northwest to Arizona at least 3-4 times a year. In AZ the battery gets sucked dry fast in the heat and humidity. Only other car that compares to the Golf was my Honda Odyssey.

Favorite Features

The engine is so darn quiet. Cup holders and gadgets just seem to be in the right places. Great gas mileage. It is a cute looking little car.

Great Car!!
By copper

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Bought my tdi Golf new in 2004, and currently have 156,000kms on the odometer. The car has always been serviced as required, and only synthetic oil changes every 8000 km. The car is peppy around town, and great on the highways. I drive approx. 40,000 km per year, mostly highway, but also a good portion in city. The car is very reliable, I have never had any problems with it at all. Just had the timing belt replaced as per the schedule. Never had a problem with cold starts. Runs every time. Very reliable even with a full load, and no problems passing going uphill. Great car.

Favorite Features

The 5 speed is sporty, and makes driving more enjoyable. Passing the long lines at gas stations is also fun!! The savings from using diesel are also good!!

Suggested Improvements

No problems to speak of, however, maybe a navigation system would be useful.

Lots of miles
By mnoeltne

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I now have 122,000 miles on my 04 Golf TDI in only 3.5 years. Overall it's been a great car. Excellent fuel economy, good performance, especially in the mountains, and surprisingly reliable. I say surprising because a lot of people come down on VWs for bad reliability. I can say that has not been the case for my car. Just routine maintenance, and a couple of recalls. And even Toyota has recalls. My wife has a Toyota Corolla, but I strongly prefer to drive my VW. It has a better ride, and much more comfortable seating positions than the Toyota. Once I put another 150,000 miles or so on this one, I will probably buy another.

Favorite Features

Great economy, and good power with the diesel. Excellent ride for this size vehicle.