2004 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews 2

2004 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Close but No Cigar
By Finch on 02/08/07 12:57 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Gold GL TDI is fun to drive, gets great fuel mileage, and has a reasonable price. I want to keep this car forever, but the electrical system is lacks reliability. I've had two airbag sensors needed replaced, one air bag, O2 sensor, thermostat, and a fuel pump. All of which were covered under warranty, but this leaves the question of keeping the car after the warranty has expired. If I had to pay for these things it would be the worst experience I've ever had with a car used or new. I'm at 49,000 miles now and cannot decide if I should keep the car or not.

GOLF - Gorgeous-Outstanding-Lovable-Fun
By viyes on 06/16/06 08:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2004.5 Golf, white-4D, 2L 17"- 235R45 Pirelli-ZR, gets 28 mpg! It is GORGEOUS! It has a class looking exterior and interior finish. It is OUTSTANDING! It has great performance rain on shine and great road handling. It is LOVABLE. It has stereo precision, adjustable front seats, and freezing A/C. It is FUN. It's a great workhorse. It is my performance commuter car!

Everything I Hoped It Would Be
By VWinMD on 09/04/05 13:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had this car for just over a year. It's been a great ride. Frankly, it's been perfect. The size is perfect for city driving. The power and ride are excellent on the highway. The build quality rivals the fit and finish of much more expensive cars. The seats are very comfortable. The sound system is excellent. The rear seats and hatchback make this car very practical. As for fuel mileage, I'm happy. Having an AT diminishes the mpg (I'm getting as low as 33 and as much as 38), but it's still better than most. The turbo deisel runs smooth, quiet, and has lots of torque. If your looking at buying a small car, you can't go wrong with this one.

16 months with my tdi golf
By bill's golf on 07/11/05 20:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We have driven our Golf 21000 miles. We bought it in March of 2004. Our average mileage is 37 to 38 miles a gallon. On the highway we get in the low forties. The car is fun to drive. It handles beautifully on the interstate or on back roads. The engine has plenty of power. When we want at pass, we pass. We liked the seats.They have good back support. We bought the Golf because it was a diesel and because it has a hatchback. Our sixty pound dog rides there when we travel. We think we bought the right car for our purposes.

Very happy
By Caleb on 07/11/05 12:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This has been the best car i have owned. all the performance i need and the comfort. fuel mileage has been unbeleivable. i drove from vancouver bc to calgary alberta on one tank of fuel.

Love the Handling, hate the problems.
By J.Gree on 07/01/05 13:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2004 Golf GLS, automatic. Since the date of delivery, I have had nothing but problems with the car. It is back at the dealership constantly, and on several occasions, has been back more than one time for the same problem. The car is very comfortable, safe, and I love how it handles, however, it is not reliable, and has a lot of electrical problems. Needed a new driver's side seat bracket, coil in driver's seat had to be repaired, faulty cooling sensor, problem with the alarm sounding after closing the trunk and opening the driver's door, I am on my second cd player, and it is not working properly (got it installed yesterday), problems getting the car out of park, etc.

Wonderful Car
By mdtgr on 03/09/05 14:13 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I have owned- it is fun to drive, gets OK gas mileage (the Golf is actually quite a heavy sturdy car so it won't be as good as say a Civic), and has a huge array of safety features. It handles great in the snow and never misses a beat in the cold weather. Best of all is the storage room when you put the back seats down. For $15K, you can't beat it!

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS
By boblom on 02/26/05 14:02 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car is great fun to drive, but to get 40 mpg you must drive like grandma and not take it over 65 on the parkway with the cruise control on. Con's: gas tank marker is not indacated on the fule gage. fuel gage never reads full. So I set my trip guage and at 400 miles i place 10 gallons of fuel in it. It should have had electric defroster in windshield for cold weather package and the heated washer fluid system still froze when it was cold outside. Needs more power should have had the bigger oil burner in it like it big brother. Otherwise I'm a happy camper so far.

good car
By hvy on 01/02/05 17:44 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Over 24000 in 8 months, no problems to date. Live in wisconsin, cold starting not a problem. Do recommend using fuel additive. 45-51 mpg so far. I'm 6-3, 255 and I find the car very comfortable to drive ,seats very supportive. Looking to buy 06 Passat TDI for wife next year.

Rudolph Would be Proud
By Dragofan on 12/28/04 14:42 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Diesels are notorious for being hard to start, but my Golf has been flawless in -20F temps. Sure, it lets you know that it's a diesel when it starts in cold weather, but it has never refused to start. The car is fun to drive for the most part and I've seen up to 52 mpg. For those looking for an economy car with a manual transmission, don't pass up a test drive of the Golf!