Used 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Why are all the web/print media wrong
By Duncan

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Yaris at the end of March 2008 and have calculated mileage on every tank of gas and the MPG on every tank has been between 35 and 40 MPG. I have never gotten below 35, and I don't use the most fuel efficient driving techniques. Why has every media review, including Edmunds.com stated that the fuel economy on this car is 31-32. This is a great car. You cannot find a better car, with better gas mileage at a better price. That's it.

MPG, MP3 player, loads of storage (3 glove boxes)

none

Perfect
By ylime3499

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I recently went car shopping for two cars. My first one was a Nissan Versa hatchback, and the second was the '08 Yaris S type. I got a little carried away with adding things on to it like cruise, a sun roof, tinted windows, etc., and my total came out almost $4,000 more than my brand new Versa. I found that very disheartening, especially since the Versa came stock with cruise and the features I had to add. I was even told that the Yaris S type can not have power doors and locks added on. I find that very hard to believe, but that's what I ended up with. Other than the price being more and the non auto lock/window it's perfect for going around town and a little interstate.

Cup holders (awesome), the get up and go, sunroof, sound system, space (two 6'4+ comfortable), travels well, gas, awesome storage compartments through out, and the compliments I receive for it! :D

Automatic locks/windows standard or at least optional, a little noisy on the interstate but that's to be expected. I can't think of much else!

Better Than a Prius
By DB

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Yaris gets 42 mpg on average and no problems. I have 20k miles on the car. The bad thing about the car is my wife loves it so much because it's fun to drive, carries all her stuff, it's zippy around town, easy to park and she looks great in it. I have to plan the time when I can use it. We are purchasing a 2009 5 door in January.

Gas mileage

Better radio reception and an arm rest in the hatch back

A Great Commuter
By Mike

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 08 Yaris hatchback for two weeks now, and I am loving it. Mine came with 17" mags and wider tires, so my mileage is a little lower; but I did get 35 MPG out of my last tank with mostly highway driving. The car drives nice and is fun, but certain things should come standard and not options, such as power windows and locks. Plus, the numerous gloveboxes should have lights and locks. Otherwise, it is a great commuter car and even with the auto transmission, it has pep! The AC saps some of that as well as gas; but with such a small engine (1.5L) it is to be expected. Filling the tank for $20 is really nice!

Multiple gloveboxes, MP3 jack

Split-folding rear seat on all models

Great little runabout
By sig

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a second car for around town driving. I love the looks, inside and out. What surprised me was how well it drives and handles. (My other car is a 2008 BMW 335 coupe). It is fun to drive and the gas mileage - regular gas - is phenomenal, up to 42.8 mpg. What made me buy this particular model are the looks and the price. Another factor is the build quality. This car was built in Japan, and no shortcuts were taken in material and paint. A super little car!

Looks, ride comfort, quality, price and above all gas mileage!

This car is perfect for todays condition. More inside room than I expected.