2004 Toyota Tundra Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2004 Tundra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Sort Reviews by

New Owner
By chip618

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The truck has less road noise than any other I have driven. I have always been an American car person only, but after a test drive the Tundra was so superior to the American counterparts I had no choice but to switch.

Favorite Features

Tight Drive and Rear Window Lower- ability

Suggested Improvements

Tighter turning radius

Toyota Trucks are GREAT
By Bill Paynter

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck on the road or on the beach. This is my 4th Toyota, but my first truck. It won't be my last.

Favorite Features

Off road performance. Comfort of the ride on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

None

The Awesome Tundra
By Kevin Reine

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I enjoy the sleek appearance on the Tundra. It is very powerful and anywhere I go I get many complements on the color and style.

Favorite Features

Sleek Stepside and Powerful v8

Excellent for a TRUCK
By Krookster

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Ejoying the vehicle. Handling is good and comfortable. The size is reasonable and serve my purposes wll.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Beter MPG

My first big truck experience
By PETER BOURLIN

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I enjoy the smoothness of it ride.. When it got snowy and cold, the brakes started making ungodly metallic noises when I pressed on them to stop at a light The windows don't have a channel to let the water drip away if I have it cracked open to let in some fresh air during a rainy day or a snowy one..The water would drip into the door handling console inside the cab. I had to invest over $50.00 to buy an attachment for the

Favorite Features

The smoothness of it seems like I'm driving a car rather than a large pickup

Suggested Improvements

The location of the emergency break are very uncomfortable for my other foot..I would prefer hand emergency breaking system. Also, I love to crack my window open without having the water pour into the cab. The outside needs some channel or grooves to keep the rain ouside the cab.

Best Value in the market
By CarsonCattle

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This truck rides like a Lexus with all the power and muscle you need to be a real truck guy. I haul a cattle trailer that is pushing the maximum capacity and the truck has power to spare.

Favorite Features

Quality, Price and value. The rear seats beat any crew cab out there. The are 24 degrees and not straight up like the 04 F-150 and the Titan

Suggested Improvements

Some day light medium and heavy duty...Please

Toyota Tundra 4x4
By Sharon Fulton

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We have had good times in this truck and it is a nice truck but , we have had many brake troubles , even though , it has the so called state of the art brakes . Also , we has a exaust manafold leak . Not good for a newer truck . This truck had 7 miles on it when we bought it . We just sold it at 62,000 miles . We had 3 sets of brake on it and never pulled anything with it ! We have talked to many other people who have them and they all had the same troubles . TRD models and the works . We still liked the truck , not the brakes though . Also had to replace the 2 front rotors . Looked like they over heated . From what , who knows ? They should not have !!

Favorite Features

Nice power , ride was nice also . Quite too . Seats were great also . 4 wheel drive worked nice .

Suggested Improvements

Brakes ! They need to be looked at . Also , the heat that get's to the exaust manafold , it crack's the seal . Something should be done to improve that .

My Tundra
By J Esandrio

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is great after years with a GM Model Iam very impressed now 27000k no problems and a smooth rider

Favorite Features

smooth ride,power,reliability

Suggested Improvements

none

Tundra vs Dakota
By billmac50

2004 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I was dissapointed to find that Dodge no longer made a long bed Dakota. My dissapointment turned to excitement when I test drove the Tundra. Although it is larger than my Dakota, I found it much easier to handle. It engine was smaller 3.3 vs. 3.9, but it seemed to have more power. I anticipate keeping my Tundra for at least 10 years as I did my Dakota, and look forward to a long happy ownership. Now I won't have to worry abut the transmission because I know Toyota makes a good transmission. Dodge hasn't figured it out yet. My only dissapointment was the height which caused me to add runningboards. A minor item for such a great truck.

Gotta Love It
By volcom3006

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Since I have had my truck I have extremely pleased, but only had one problem; after hitting a curb, the rear differentials gears apparently got strained from that and the bent and cracked.

Favorite Features

I love the styling of the Step-side; it is the best stepside design on the market.

Suggested Improvements

With the center console, you really don't need an armrest on the drivers seat.