Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Tacoma rating
By chopper

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Although a bit pricey, the Tacoma offers reliability, performance, and is economical to operate for a truck. It pulls a load well, within its capability, although fuel mileage suffers with a loaded trailer. When I trade again, I will opt for the longer bed for convenience. I get over 21 MPG with my Tacoma. Some of the increase might be attributable to having a cab high fiberglass topper and a "cat-back" TRD exhaust system along with a K&N air filter. All in all, it's a great truck !

Maneuverability. Fuel mileage

NONE..." If it ain't broke, don't fix it "

A nicely equipped truck for under $20K
By tacodan

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The 4-cyl 5-speed manual trans combo is well matched. When you get on it, the power is very impressive. I am getting a consistent 24-27.5 MPG. Handled a large 7ft sofa and a tall chest of drawers with a hitch. The area below the dash and the steering column is small for people with large feet. Cabin is a bit noisy at highway speeds when crosswinds are strong. No frt tie-down d-rings as in the rear. HUGE BOO-BOO. The truck drives like a car for comfort on long trips. All the power accessories work well and are well designed. OEM spkrs chintzy. GREAT A/C with very adjustable vents. Adjustable lumbar a great feature. Changed oil today, easy, just have a cap style filter wrench.

Great radio with good reception. Exc paint quality. 3 frt console cup holders. Slick shifter. Extendable sun visors. rear cabin access doors. Rear & side rear tinted windows. Quality feel to most components. Fuel mileage 25 avg. Smooth ride for a truck. Interior items made of good quality material.

Reduce wind noise. Higher quality carpeting. 16" wheels and tires would give a more secure feeling. Do we really need 6 qts of oil in a 4 popper. Longer bottom cushion on the frt bucket seats, these lack thigh support. Better spkr

After 8 months I'm still satisfied!
By TacoMan

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my truck almost 9 months and 10,000 miles ago, and I must say that I am still very happy with it (unlike my last pick-up truck, a which was a 1999 Ford Ranger)! I have driven it between Florida and Upstate New York a number of times, and except for disappointing highway gas mileage (around 18-20 MPG), I generally have no complaints. I bought the truck without the towing package (a $600 dealer option), but I installed a top of the line trailer hitch and wiring for less than $200! I had no problem towing a 5000 lb. boat/trailer! I also didn't get the overpriced TRD option, but the truck is still great off-road!

A real truck that doesn't drive like one. Great power for a V6! Roomy interior (I have the "Access Cab" model) with comfortable seats (I have the "SR5" with option package #2).

This truck needs standard iPod and satellite radio adapters. I had to purchase and install an aftermarket iPod/satellite radio interface. Better quality tires and rims should be standard. The factory standard Dunlop tires are garbage and the standard rims look like they came off of a trailer!

My only vehicle
By John

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned dozens of vehicles, including five 4x4 trucks. I've had Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Jeep and Land Rover, some new, some not. My 2007 Tacoma 4x4 double cab beats them all hands down. By far the best stock 4x4 I have ever driven, let alone owned. I highly recommend this truck as a primary vehicle, especially if you like to take it out into the hills frequently like I do. I put a ToyTec 3" lift in front and 1.5" add a leaf in back. This truck rocks!

Interlock rear axle. Big back seat. Good gas mileage 18 city 23 hwy.

More accessories from Toyota would be nice. These things look tough when they are spruced up.

Nice Truck!
By Paul

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Toyota Truck, but have owned several Toyota's (I was a Toyota Master Tech years ago). I bought with the SR5 package (which is a MUST), aluminum wheels, and a factory hitch. If you want to buy the stripped version, drive the SR5 first, trust me. I installed a factory Toyota RS alarm also. This truck is the perfect size. My 1990 was a little small, but this one is perfect.

SR5 package. I drove a base model, and the SR5 just feels better. I don't really have a valid explanation for it. I love the Sand color and the beige inside. It's not real common, but looks great.

I would have liked a little more power, but I did buy the 4 cyl because of fuel mileage. I have a rattle in the drivers rear access door, but I've been lazy about getting it fixed. I will pretty soon.