2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
200,000 mile report (Automatic Trans) SR5
By cst010 on 09/09/09 14:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Wanted to report that the Tacoma has reached the 200,000 mile marker. Normal maintenance so far: belts, timing belt, water pump, and cat converter. Oil changes performed at 3000 miles every 3000 miles. Truck runs great. Body and interior holding out great. I do take care to keep it clean and waxed. Dome light has failed (constantly burns them out) and one light for the 'fan' switch has failed- I have not replaced. Miles are mostly highway and the truck has not been off-roaded. I hope to be able to write a 300,000 mile review. No rattles to date! Great truck so far. Couple of more years and maybe I will have gotten my monies worth outta it.

Love my Little Filly!
By Cher on 09/03/09 12:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My Tacoma can go just about anywhere, in any kind of weather! :) Tacomas are the most eye-catching small pickup available, with an outstanding reliability record. I have hauled heavy loads of furniture and appliances with no problems. Makes for an outstanding second vehicle. Not very family oriented though...

Good little truck
By john in GA on 08/09/09 22:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It's a great truck for the work commute. About 22mpg. Then, when I need it - hauling furniture, groceries, lumber, propane, gravel, yard work, etc. There's some room for stuff behind the seat, and while a full car seat would be tight, my 4 year old fits well in a booster seat behind the passenger seat. I was also surprised to find it can haul U-Haul's largest trailer straight on the bumper, just had to buy the ball and lights. I've kept up with the maintenance schedule and have only had to replace things I've actually physically broken (advice: don't drop a tree near your truck, it may hurt the paint job.)

2001 Toyota Tacoma
By Toyota Lover on 08/01/09 10:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle brand new in 2001 and still use it for delivery business. I have put 328000 miles on it with only minimal problems. Replaced auto transmission at 300000 but that is the only thing major gone wrong with this many miles. Still starts easily and drives perfect. Does not smoke or burn oil and runs like a sewing machine. Most dependable reliable vehicle ever owned.

Solid
By ResQ198 on 07/26/09 17:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had 3 Toyota pickups, an '89, '99 (my all time favorite) and now an '01. The '01 is great in the snow, reliable as can be, and easy to drive. The four cylinder is underpowered, and as some people have mentioned, the gears need some adjustment. I would never discourage anyone from buying anything Toyota, but like everything out there, if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Good but not great
By DD on 03/03/09 07:32 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

First of all, let me say this has been a really good truck, so if this sounds like a negative review, these are relatively minor points. Gas mileage has been a disappointment for a V6: 15- 17 combined city/highway. I have a bit of a lead foot, but still, when I see full-size Fords and Chevys advertising 20 mpg with V8s, I cringe. Also, not as sure-footed as I'd like in snow and ice. Interior: The rubber inserts have all cracked and fallen out of the cup holders. And last, despite fastidious care, my rear chrome bumper has started to rust. Those negatives aside, this truck has gone all over with poise and confidence. Also, your picture's wrong; 2001 models had a different grille.

Update from OKHunter
By OKHunter on 12/31/08 14:38 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Update to a review written not long after I bought the truck. Now have almost 130K miles. Did the normal timing chain/water pump at around 90K, and have had all the scheduled maintenance performed. Only problem I thought was a design flaw was the front ball joints, which wore out at about 60K miles, due to poorly designed seals. Also replaced the stock muffler w/ a Flowmaster, and the stock air filter w/ a K&N cold air induction kit; that raised the mileage to about 19 mpg combined. I plan to drive this thing until the wheels fall off, then I'm going to put 'em back on and drive it until they fall off again. If you want a solid truck for the long haul, look no further.

01 tacoma
By john9310 on 12/04/08 11:09 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I live in northeast Ohio and the winters are bad here. My driveway is straight uphill so I need 4wd to get up it. I had a full sized Chevy 4wd but that truck was old and tired and didn't owe anybody anything. My buddy had a 99 Tacoma and I liked it so I bought mine. I only had a few problems 3 bumpers (the clearcoat peels off and rusts), power steering pump went out and catalytic converters rotted out, otherwise a great truck. I only have about 53,000 miles on it. I can beat on this truck and it asks for more.

Class of it's own
By accelrviii on 11/25/08 01:47 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I drove mostly American made pickups while in high school. After driving one of these Toyota pickups, I will never own anything else. It's really a no brainer. Looks, performance and yes untouched reliability put it way above the rest. I have 135,000 miles on mine and no problems. Toyota will never have financial troubles when they make trucks like these! These trucks will be around for ever.

Hit 200,000 miles today
By cst010 on 11/18/08 13:02 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Hit the 200K mark today. What a great vehicle so far. No major problems to date. Vehicle is well maintained with all scheduled maintenance performed by the dealers.