Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

145,000 Miles and Going Strong
By Rod

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Original Owner of my 2001 Tacoma, 145,000 miles no issues at all. Oil changes every 4 to 6,000 miles always used Valvoline 10/30. Live in ABQ so no rust issues. Pre-runner (TRD) with rear locking differential, great for snow and mud. Had some early issues with the front brake rotors but went back to Toyota original parts and issue was resolved. This is a GREAT truck and would recommend it to everyone, they are however very hard to find ($8,000 to $12,000 price tag) now since the 2004 and newer Tacomas are having the accelerator problems with the Toyota recalls. 300,000 mile old school Toyota's will live forever!

Versatility!

TOYOTA - BRING back this body style and watch sales go back up! New style after 2004 model is too large for this market class. I would consider a new one for my wife if one were available (Hilux not available in US either) of course I am keeping my 2001 and it is not for sale or trade!

Swiss Army Knife
By looseshoes

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle does it all -mostly-. Hauls 4 or 5, carries cargo, gets decent mileage, super-dependable. Not too sporting on the road, but not expected really. I get about 21 mpg with 50/50 city/hwy driving. Has 70k miles and only problem was I had to have power steering pump replaced - under warranty.

Versatility and mpg for what it is. Had good factory tires that lasted until 60k for me.

Dashboard clock is in a weird place so you cannot see it easily. Harsh ride.

She's my baby!
By Carl B

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Toyota pick up; I've owned 1 1986 1/2 ton and now 2 Tacomas. My 2001 Tacoma Pre-runner Doublecab is still as exciting to drive as the day I drove it off the lot. Fuel economy with the 2.7L 4 cylinder (which isn't offered in the new Tacoma Pre-Runner Doublecabs by the way) is absolutely outstanding (around 25 to 28 hwy and 20 to 22 city) if I don't drive like a maniac. I'll neve give up this truck; it's the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Looks (She still looks great after 7 years and 98000 miles), fuel economy and overall comfort.

None.

It's been great
By JDWOITON

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this truck for 6 years and it's held up very well. I've added a matching color camper shell on it. It well serves my two biggest hobbies, music and camping. I can pack a bunch of equipment in it and keep it secure wherever I go. It's been wrecked twice and the value of the truck was always too high to total it.

Reliablity, I live in a suburban area where a car is vital to everything.

My biggest complaint is the turning radius with a double cab wheelbase, it's hard to park in tight spaces. I'm also often hitting the curb on a tight right-hand turn into traffic. I think later models are bigger, but I feel slightly cramped in the drivers seat and I'm an average build 6 feet tall.

The Best!
By grbarnard

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought at 21k, now 125k in 1 3/4 yrs. Excellent truck, beat on it and it keeps on going like the Energizer Bunny.

Durability