Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Great little pocket rocket
By Timothy Lacke

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very good all around car. Good mileage, great acceleration with decent handling in all conditions. Creature comforts not luxurious but functional.

My Gold Buggy
By mary ofield

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I LOVE my faithful RAV4; sturdy, reliable, zippy, easy to park!!

Rushbaby
By Rushbaby

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First, I have been driving toyotas before I was aloud to drive...35 years. I have owned used and new. I had a 2005 rav4 ...great car. Everything about that car...5 stars. I bought a 2009 limited V6 3.5 and it is a nightmare. The suspension recall fix involves an epoxy seal on the links which make the adjustable links...unadjustable. meaning...if the rear is out of alignment. ..you have to pay $500+ to have the recall fix done again. I have never had to do anything other than maintenance to my toyotas. This one...3rd pair of shocks...this time i used monroe shocks. ER brake cable...drive train assembly ($1400 part). Blower motor...Such a disappointment... I have 150000 miles on the odometer and it runs great. Done with it.

Not sure what all the hype is about
By villagefish

2009 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The RAV drives more like a dune buggy than a 21st century vehicle and leaves an unrefined impression not generally associated with a Toyota (I have owned two other Toyota vehicles).

The 4 cylinder engine is very loud and road noise is pronounced. I can hear suspension, wind, and tire noise at even the lowest speeds on newly paved surfaces. The ride is stiff and the steering feels artificially weighted. Throttle response is jerky, especially at low speeds.

The lack of a rear bumper is a safety concern and the side hinged tail gate is inconvenient. I think this vehicle is cheaply made and not worth the high used vehicle price it commands. Suggest looking elsewhere.

The front and rear seats are roomy. Cargo space is generous. Braking performance is good.

More insulation from road, wind engine and tire noise. A rear bumper and top hinged rear tailgate. Better quality interior trim, steel rims that won't rust after 5 years. Reprogram the throttle response for smoother power delivery.

Love my 2nd RAV4 even more
By jduffy09

2009 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1999 RAV4 that was bulletproof. I recently upgraded to a 2009 Sport V6 w/appearance package.

The power of this V6 is amazing and yet fuel economy is not compromised. On a recent 500 mile round-trip I got almost 28 mpg.

The 2009 is much more refined and significantly roomier than my old 1999 model. Rear-seat room is significantly improved, as is cargo room, and it is great for families with children and pets.

The only disappointment for me is the ride. You feel every little bump, but I think that is specific to the sport model. And hey, it's an SUV after all, not a Cadillac.

The V6 really rocks!

I wish they could find a way to include a spare tire with the appearance package. Even if it was just a temp. (Our van has the spare mounted underneath.)