2008 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Review: Thoroughbred

2008 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Review

Thoroughbred
By 1969Ben on

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car in early October and have already hit 5000 very enjoyable miles. We've run from NYC to Boston and back twice, one of those trips in the thick of the recent snowstorm. The AWD plowed through several inches of fresh snow (the electronic AWD lock being a very useful feature when the plows haven't come through yet). Having a V6 gives added confidence, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this car. I'm 6'2" and quite comfortable up front. I have 4 kids under age 7, so the optional third row gets used at weekends. It's a little tight back there - cargo space pretty much disappears with the third row up & in use. When the kids are older we'll go for a Sienna.

Favorite Features

AWD is handy in the snowy northeast, very peppy V6, surprisingly roomy interior with the 3rd row stowed into the floor. The optional 3rd row works well with young kids but *one* adult can't really sit back there for more than short trips. Gas mileage is about 24mpg combined town/highway.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes feel a little spongy, and it would be good to have a chime for lights left on with the door open. Otherwise, pretty much delighted with this car. I think "I love this car" everyday I drive it. I have the base model V6, AWD w/ 3rd row.