2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Disappointed in Rav4 dependability
By Kerry Ross Boren on 11/12/09 14:22 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned several other Toyotas and I liked them for their dependability. I purchased a 2007 Rav4 for that reason and have been greatly disappointed. The brakes went out at 17,000 miles; an oil hose broke at 23,000; the tires wore out at 20,000 and had to be replaced; the paint job is chipping; the exterior is made of fiberglass and is easily damaged; the power steering column is failing and will have to be replaced at 23,000 miles. What a disappointment. Toyota fails to warranty any of these defects or make a recall for potentially dangerous ones. I have had this vehicle a little more than two years and it has proved to be an expensive liability. I will not purchase another Toyota.

Steering Shaft and Rack Problems
By chris on 11/03/09 16:24 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I loved this car, until I hit about 50,000 miles, then I noticed a knock in the steering, Total cost of repair on the vehicle will be close to $3000.00. Needs steering shaft and rack. Over 36,000 miles this is not covered and I just turned 52,000. I took it to the dealership complaining of an occasional knock at 20,000 and then again at 30,000 and they could find nothing wrong; they told me to get an alignment, this made it a little better but know it is highly annoying to drive the vehicle. There is a Tech bulletin out there for this problem, too bad they don't recall these parts. With the bad publicity you would think they would rectify this problem. I am not sure I would get another Toyota.

Great except for one thing!
By daf62757 on 09/30/09 08:31 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is actually my wife's car. I drive it about once or twice a week. The car now has 55K miles and the problems, or complaints that I want to mention are the lack of power when the AC is on, and the knocking that comes from the steering column linkage. The power is expected because it's a 4 cylinder. The linkage problem is a flaw that has received a technical notice, but no recall. Very frustrating that Toyota won't recall this and fix a potentially dangerous problem. Otherwise, a very good car and excellent for your wife to use for work or kid hauling.

Poor Toyota quality and service
By sandy on 09/22/09 21:07 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I experienced a windshield tick soon as I purchased the vehicle. Toyota service attempted a fix and it got worse. The tick was intermittent and after several trips to the dealer, and test drives, the dealer resealed the windscreen. The problem resurfaced recently. The dealers are unable to diagnose and fix it. My 36,000 mile warranty is expiring. There is also a rattle around the dash on the passenger side. Toyota is unable to diagnose that problem as well. I occasionally hear other noises and vibrations as well in the interior from the sun roof area and around the passenger door. Toyota replaced defective sun visors, and the glove compartments. The radio display mysteriously would go blank.

Be careful with the spare tire cover
By TS3787 on 09/08/09 14:16 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We got our RAV4 in 7/2007 and since then we haven't have any problem at all. There are two areas where the 2007 design failed: 1) The rear bumper upper part is too exposed to scratches during loading/unloading. 3) At winter ice forms between the spare tire and the rear bumper. That ice eventually tends to damage the rear bumper. 2) the spare tire cover was removed during a car wash and totally ruined. Someone mentioned that TOYOTA said only they know of one case... that is simply not true, it is pretty common and a big design flaw. After 2007 they changed the design of the car cover.

Engine Whine
By Les on 09/07/09 16:44 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our Rav4 problem is that the engine(6cyl) starts to whine at 40mph and continues at higher speeds although it is somewhat less obvious due to wind and road noise. I have never seen a review where an owner is concerned about this problem. Dealer says no technical notes from Toyota. Looks like we dump the car.

Little Maintenance?
By Rav4 on 08/03/09 10:35 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this new in 2007. It has 36,000 on it now. At 26K had to replace all 4 tires. They are 17" tires ($$$) and the dealer wanted us to pay 800 dollars to get it inspected. I bought them at a tire place for half. They said it was normal on Rav 4's that the stock tire wears out by 25K miles. The 30K maintenance cost us almost 400 dollars and I'm not really sure why. I get carsick in it if I'm not driving, same thing with my wife. My kid gets carsick on long trips as well. At 36,000 miles the check engine light came on accompanied by a light that said VSC and the 4X4 light too. Took it in and had to replace the coil. Paid 109 dollars for diagnosis. Also hard to tell if 4WD is on or not.

Watch out for the VVTi oil line
By genkuro on 07/24/09 09:18 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Coming soon to a recall near you: the external VVTi rubber hose of the 3.5L engine fails spraying quarts of oil all throughout the engine compartment. This is a very common problem in Toyota's 3.5L lineup and potentially affects Avalon, Camry, and Rav4. Engine seizures are a possibility. Toyota has redesigned this rubber hose as a steel hose for 2009 models but hasn't done much of anything for current 2006, 2007, and 2008 owners. This line broke at 45,000 miles for me. For other owners, it broke outside of the power train warranty. Many Rav4s have needed short block replacement due to this defect.

Great Suv
By Robert on 07/10/09 10:25 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is nimble and quick. It is still fun to drive after 2 years and 30K miles! The gas mileage - even for the V6 - is great, usually 22-23 mpg in mixed driving and 27-28 hwy. Acceleration literally blows anything else off the road and almost stops on a dime. It handles like it's on tracks. I have not had any mechanical issues with the vehicle. The one thing it needs, however, is a mounting bracket for the front license plate. In a 2- plate state like this one, that can be a problem.

A Rav4 Can't Start
By ToyotaNoMore on 07/01/09 09:04 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned many Toyota (4Runner, Camry) - this is the third one and the last one - quality control has been an issue for my Rav4. There were quite a lot squeeze noise on the plastic part in the interior even when it's brand new. Spent some time to fix them. Now second year - the vehicle won't be able to start every 5 to 7 days. It's not battery for sure. It could be security system, starter, spark -- dealers (yes, I tried two Toyota dealers) won't fix it because they can't duplicate the error so they can't fix it. Oh, by the way, the audio system display started to not show anything, or strange Japanese characters. If you press the panel really hard - it fixes the problem.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.