Used 2006 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

RAV4 I$ A LEMON!!
By RAV4 I$ A LEMON!!

2006 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I commute from the SF Bay Area to Sacramento,70 miles each way. The stretch of freeway is rough & you feel every bump in the road. The seats are stiff and not enough thigh support. I had to get the brakes replaced at 40k with almost all freeway driving, not stop & go. The car sometimes doesn't start immediately (since purchase) and what I hate most is you can't get the key out of the ignition without moving the gear shift in park back & forth. The dealer says NOTHING WRONG... It had a major oil leak (covered w/power train) air noise from windshield, and rear door. rattles if not on a completely smooth surface. Needs torque & power to rear wheels in turns, & quick acceleration r feels unstable

horsepower

best way to improve would to buy a HONDA Pilot

Excellent value and utility
By medina607

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in an Explorer for the RAV4 and haven't regretted it. Amazing cargo space with the back seat down, and pretty good with it up too. The 4 cylinder engine is very peppy, although with my lead foot and in-town driving I average 21mpg. No mechanical or electrical problems at 33,000 miles. For a single person, couple, or small family its great.

Exterior looks; cargo room; peppy 4 cylinder.

Seat/steering wheel/gas pedal relationship off, like it is in Corollas. Steering wheel too far away when seat adjusted right for gas pedal.

Good little SUV but no sizzle
By RavCanuck

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Nice little SUV that my wife loves to drive. Great for driving with car seat age kids due to ride height. 4wd pretty good in Canadian snow and has never been stuck even with the all seasons. Not the quietest or fastest with the 4 cyl but racing is not this SUV's forte anyways.

4wd, ride height, styling, cargo space.

Make aluminum wheels standard(steelies rust to early), give us a least a 5spd auto on all models, make the paint a little hardier. NVH could also be a little improved.

Expected a little more!
By cayugajim

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'll begin by saying that my RAV4 was purchased to replace a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. So for comparison purposes, the RAV is a far superior vehicle. However, the 4 cyl in my base model is underpowered and hesitates when cold. According to the dealer, this is normal and part of the vehicle's computer program to maximize efficiency. Fuel economy is also a bit disappointing. With a ratio of 70/30 city/hwy driving, I've never exceeded 22 mpg (usually around 20). On the plus side, the all wheel drive is great and the vehicle is very reliable. It's also quite roomy and easy to drive. The hard plastic spare tire cover looks great, but is a bear to put back on!

Reliability, comfort, looks, rear seat fold-down latch. This vehicle is also great in the snow!

4 cyl power and hesitation, fuel economy, road noise, radio is not as clear as my Corolla. The spare tire cover is difficult to replace and will destroy your knuckles. Also, the tire pressure monitor is extremely sensitive (I always find myself adding air when the outside temp changes).

Best vehicle we have had.
By Donna

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Love the car. Gets us through the snow. Gas mileage is better than we could expect for being called a "truck". Stay with the higher rated Ethanol gas (manual states tested). We have on occasion had to fill up with the regular brands. Expensive!! Had a 1995 Altima before. It got us 100km more on ethanol. This vehicle gets us 100kms more than the Altima on a fill-up. (Both same size of tank.) Averaged 32 mpg on a trip that had freeway and city driving. Original tires were 17 inch all seasons. Very stiff ride. Felt all the bumps in the road. When needing snow tires, we called around and found out you could put on 16 inch tires. Saved us a lot of money, and, have a smoother ride.

The ease of driving and feeling of stability on the road in adverse conditions.

Do not like the accumulation of snow and slush on the back window. If driving in a heavy snowfall, the snow accumulates on the side of the window and tire and eventually covers the tail lights. If rear window is heated, how about heated tail lights for better visibility for oncoming cars?