2006 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Excellent overall
By CBM on 05/29/07 11:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've now owned this vehicle for almost a year, and have found quality and reliability to be excellent. The power from the V6 is without peer in this class, and the fuel economy is the icing on the cake (note: a light foot helps achieve those window sticker EPA numbers). Interior room is excellent both for passengers and cargo. The JBL stereo is decent for a factory upgrade. With AWD the RAV4 is surefooted in winter, and with the side curtains and stability control it's a safe ride. No complaints about seat comfort (ours is the Limited with leather). The ride is firm but comfortable. After almost a year on the road it's still tight and a pleasure to drive. Recommended.

Consider your purchase wisely
By Mick on 05/24/07 22:23 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great car for resale and possible reliabilty. V6 is peppy but hard to handle when flooring it to get up to speed or pull out into traffic, the steering wavers. Very choppy bouncy ride. Has had loss of power when accelerating onto freeway twice. Shifts late at times, just enough to be annoying. Have actually had to give it gas to go down hill. Don't let the fancy controls of the Limited sway you, simple dials are easier to use. Seats are hard. Tow package does not include wiring, you can't do it yourself, because it has to be wired from the dash to the back. Rear suspension can't handle 1200 lb. tent trailer. Snow/rain gets in through the door controls and freezes.

Good small car with huge trunk
By jim on 05/18/07 09:11 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have driven our base RAV4 for one year and 16000 miles. Drove it 1300 miles to Florida in fall and back again last week. Vehicle was fully loaded inside w/18 cu. ft. cargo carrier on roof. The 4 cyl was amazing in cruising, passing the big truck rigs on the interstate and just flattened the mountains of Virginia and Pennsylvania, very imressive power for a 4 cyl. Handling is crisp and nimble but not harsh. Driving between 70 and 80 fully loaded, we averaged 27.4 MPG. We get 28.7 around Florida . All in all its a decent small car with a huge trunk.

Almost a year
By raverrr on 05/02/07 11:17 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Rav last year. I have absolutely no complaints about it. It has performed very well, no problems at all. I have the 4cyl 4WD which is very peppy, no problems passing on highways. Handles flawlessly on snow and ice. The only thing I would suggest to anyone considering a base model... don't. Mine is a base and I regret not getting the Sport for about 1200 more. Am not crazy about the base seats, they're light colored and can easily show stains.

Love my RAV
By RICarol on 04/13/07 07:59 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love it. As I do heavy traffic driving it has all the power I need to get me out of any situation. Plenty of cargo room, great fuel economy.

Practical All-Around Vehicle
By Harky on 04/04/07 07:02 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Owned this car for one year, so far no issues. Before buying I test drove both Camry and Rav4. Both cars felt same in terms of driving dynamics and both cars share some mechanical parts, but picked Rav4 for its high-seating position. Fuel economy is above average and pretty roomy inside. A little bit sluggish from stop, but this is a 4 cylinder (get 6 cylinder for quick starts). The space in the driver's side needs to be improved especially in left knee area. Also, the tire noise is little bit high during the highway cruising, thus the sound insulation in the cabin needs to be improved.

New 2006 is awful!!
By alicat2441 on 03/17/07 12:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I previously had a 1997 Toyota Rav4 that was much superior to this piece of junk. The 2006 model is cheap and nasty. The metallic covered pieces in the interior are already scuffed and scratched and have to be touched up or repainted. The AC knob has been pushed through the console and needs to fixed. I have dogs and the inside is already showing scratch marks on the inside door panels. Never had any of these problems with the 1997 Rav4 and wish I could have my old car back. The 2006 is not made for any off roading of hauling of objects, the inside is just too delicate. Another problem is that the 4 cylinder response lags. Want to get rid of this car ASAP.

Disappointed
By T. Thompson on 03/12/07 18:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Couldn't wait to get a RAV4. I did get one in April 2006, trading it tomorrow. Complained to dealer on the 11 mpg around town, 17 on trips. I was told it would get better after 4-5000 miles. Now have 8400 miles - yes after 11 months and getting 17/21 and the small tank, not good. Three times I have had my ignition key not turn and keep trying, one time it took 4/5 minutes (no joke) before it turned, almost ready to call for help. I dislike the swing tailgate and find it very hard to clean. So, no more RAV4, taking a chance on another SUV that is well reviewed and hoping for better mpg.

V6 4WD Gas Mileage is not very good
By Rob on 03/04/07 14:40 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the vehicle, but the 15-23 MPG I get, and that is driving conservatively, is not the 22-28 that the EPA stickered the vehicle as. I'm disappointed because the mileage isn't much better than the Explorer I traded in and I wanted much better mileage.

I like my RAV
By beverly on 03/02/07 11:22 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I do love my RAV, but there are things that are disappointing since it is a Toyota. The ride could be smoother and I do not get the gas mileage reported on the sticker, my 6 disk indash CD player display also messes up a lot. I love the look, design on the inside and the room that it offers for a small SUV.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.