2006 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Uglee tires
By grumpy guy on 11/13/08 08:35 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle justified our reasons for purchasing. It performs decently in off road situations, has good clearance, mileage has been 22 city, 27 highway, exceeding expectations. Did not expect the rattles from Toyota. Did not expect the tires to be bald at 30,000 miles. Discovered Yokohama tires are crap. Am surprised Toyota's famed quality experts chose this particular tire. We knew we were sacrificing a soft ride to get limited off road capabilities. We like the spare tire where it is. Like the rear side opening door. Anybody who thinks differently should buy a danged van.

Great compact SUV for the price
By gregpro50 on 10/04/08 14:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We basically bought the RAV4 to be able to tow a boat and haul the family on a 4 hr trip to the lake every weekend in warmer weather. It is worth it to upgrade to the limited package and the V6 which still gets pretty good gas mileage especially for having 269hp. Plenty of room for the kids in the back seat and the dog in the back. The under-floor storage area in the back is very handy too. We were very happy with this vehicle.

Fun Efficient Hauls a large amount
By 96gc1owner on 09/24/08 19:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Went from a Dodge Grand Caravan to the RAV4 and am totally happy with the excellent use of space available in the RAV. Smart engineering makes reconfiguring interior to haul stuff a breeze. The V6 is the way to go. Gobs of power and a low of 22 mpg and high of 28 mpg (AWD model). Did not know we would like it so much or I would have popped for the Limited. However, Base has all you need.

2 Years with the Rav
By Toyotanot on 07/29/08 13:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Noticed that many have only had their cars for 2 months and are extremely pleased. Had mine for 2 years so here's a real review. Fit and finish, build are very good. I have the base 4WD. Handles great in the snow. The only thing I would improve on is the mileage. I get 22 city/hgwy. After 2 years am bored looking at it. Am waiting for something a little more sporty, that gets better mileage. Am sure I'll plenty to choose from, then I'll say bye bye Rav.

Didn't want to own it for long
By thinkingman on 07/02/08 17:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Well, it's gone. Bought it for SUV room and all weather capability but it didn't deliver. And the reliability wasn't what I expected, either. Problems with rattles, stereo, air in brake lines, and loud road and wind noise all doomed the RAV. I did average 23 mpg, and the tires had plenty of tread after 31k, but the Toyota reputation didn't deliver. It does have good room inside and a comfortable back seat (no third row on Sport). Missing a lot of features that are standard on other cars like homelink, 5sp automatic, heated seats, good stereo, audio controls on steering wheel. It just failed to live up to the Toyota hype. Sorry.

Never Again!
By donor on 06/29/08 12:22 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I would never buy a RAV4 again. I had problems with the steering that took 2 dealerships to repair. I also hate the cup holders which allow everything to flip out of them. The lights automatically shutoff after 30 when you are unloading it, especially annoying in the winter! The tires have not lasted 20,000 miles! There are 3 bad blindspots. The car has slid since day one in rain, snow, sleet, doesn't matter!

Best All-Around SUV You Can Buy
By Chris G on 06/21/08 12:04 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is great, quality is world class and the power is unsurpassed in similar small SUVs. Regarding the MPG, if you drive it like a hot rod all the time then you will not get great gas mileage. Yes, I certainly like to experience the raw power every once in awhile - but for the most part I drive like a normal person and don't always test the limits of this car every time I take off. I easily get 25 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway.

$mart Choice
By stephen on 06/20/08 16:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased vehicle new w/ leather, sunroof, JBL, 30 months/21K ago. Choice was based primarily on "return of investment" having shopped for used versions (CRV/RAV) realizing their high resale values. I am still pleased with my choice, my RAV is roomy, rattle free,comfortable, easy to live with, nimble, relatively quiet, dependable, versatile and averaging 23 mpg in mixed driving. Sure I see more exciting, faster, sexier choices out there (I still struggle with the tire on the back) but whether hauling 4 adults to the airport, 3 dogs to the groomer or 30 bags of mulch I am hard pressed to find another vehicle that comes close to doing them all as well. The RAV has been a $mart choice.

Just what I needed - thanks Toyota
By Susie on 06/15/08 15:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Love my Rav4! Needed ease of entry for Mother and it is the lowest SUV seat to slide into and not climb down into a car. Love uplift hatch when loading cargo, more available space and easy on back (selling point for me). Easy to attach car seats and load the grandkids. Occasional hesitation on acceleration. Wish it had rear A/C vents. Good handling and easy parking. Good mirrors, but I added convex for side blind spots. Slightly noisy, but expected for SUV. Gas mileage not bad for SUV, but I drive 44 miles roundtrip to work on highway, and should be better than it is (about 20mpg). All said, I don't think I could find anything to fit my needs any better. This was a God blessing!

OK but Disappointing
By trekkingOn on 06/12/08 13:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is our fourth Toyota and second RAV4. The most disappointing feature has been the atrocious fuel consumption - actually getting 16/20 mpg (city/hwy). This amount of deviation from specs is very unlike Toyota. Another gripe is the v. poor visibility of the electronic displays (radio, clock) which become impossible to see during the day with sun glasses on. The car is solid, reliable, handles well, feels safe, has good seating and luggage capacity, has a fairly comfortable ride and is fun to drive.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.