Used 2006 Toyota RAV4 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Bad Engine
By Tracy

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was having some issues regarding quality - replaced ECU and water pump and for the last 25,000 miles I've had an oil issue and was told last week that I need a new engine. A new engine with less that 100,000 miles. Don't buy a Toyota.

NO GOOD BUILD QUALITY
By DSANCHEZ

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My first SUV, good fuel economy, good comfort & easy to drive. But in my opinion no good build quality, the brakes have been replaced twice, the first time was in Dec. 2007. The dampers has been replaced once. Noise in the back started six months ago, finally the last month Toyota Shop found the cause of the noise: one large screw of the left damper support is damaged!!!

Favorite Features

Fuel Economy & Easy to drive

Suggested Improvements

Improve the manufacturing quality, make it stronger

Loved our Rav
By Warren

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our Rav was one of the best cars we've owned and we were so impressed on Toyota that when we needed a larger vehicle we bought a Sienna. The interior was so cool and everything was well placed and plenty of compartments to put stuff. Great car!

Favorite Features

The interior, looks, reliability, Ipod connector, gas mileage was good, etc.

Suggested Improvements

2wd Rav does not handle well in the snow, paint quality on the metal wheel rims was peeling and rusting and an intermittent radio problem when it's hot out.

Expected a little more!
By cayugajim

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'll begin by saying that my RAV4 was purchased to replace a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. So for comparison purposes, the RAV is a far superior vehicle. However, the 4 cyl in my base model is underpowered and hesitates when cold. According to the dealer, this is normal and part of the vehicle's computer program to maximize efficiency. Fuel economy is also a bit disappointing. With a ratio of 70/30 city/hwy driving, I've never exceeded 22 mpg (usually around 20). On the plus side, the all wheel drive is great and the vehicle is very reliable. It's also quite roomy and easy to drive. The hard plastic spare tire cover looks great, but is a bear to put back on!

Favorite Features

Reliability, comfort, looks, rear seat fold-down latch. This vehicle is also great in the snow!

Suggested Improvements

4 cyl power and hesitation, fuel economy, road noise, radio is not as clear as my Corolla. The spare tire cover is difficult to replace and will destroy your knuckles. Also, the tire pressure monitor is extremely sensitive (I always find myself adding air when the outside temp changes).

Best vehicle we have had.
By Donna

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Love the car. Gets us through the snow. Gas mileage is better than we could expect for being called a "truck". Stay with the higher rated Ethanol gas (manual states tested). We have on occasion had to fill up with the regular brands. Expensive!! Had a 1995 Altima before. It got us 100km more on ethanol. This vehicle gets us 100kms more than the Altima on a fill-up. (Both same size of tank.) Averaged 32 mpg on a trip that had freeway and city driving. Original tires were 17 inch all seasons. Very stiff ride. Felt all the bumps in the road. When needing snow tires, we called around and found out you could put on 16 inch tires. Saved us a lot of money, and, have a smoother ride.

Favorite Features

The ease of driving and feeling of stability on the road in adverse conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Do not like the accumulation of snow and slush on the back window. If driving in a heavy snowfall, the snow accumulates on the side of the window and tire and eventually covers the tail lights. If rear window is heated, how about heated tail lights for better visibility for oncoming cars?