Used 2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Love it
By Inland Northwest

2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've had it 4 months and 5000 miles. It's awesome to drive, and has plenty of room for family of four (2 teenagers) and dog to go on vacation. More than that, you'd need a car-top carrier for stuff. Third row seat is okay. Our mileage has been pretty good; we're averaging 24-25 overall. 28 on highway and 23 or so in town (we live in a small, very hilly town so anywhere we need to go is uphill and less than a mile away. Doesn't help us take advantage of hybrid very well). It drives beautifully. When we need to merge we turn off "econ" and boy, do we zoom. It's more comfortable than any car I've owned (including other Toyotas).

Econ mode; comfortable seats; roominess in front and middle seats; overall drive experience; all wheel drive system

get rid of blind spot at front left and right (difficult when turning)

Still early, but lovin' it!
By wvgasguy

2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm at about 1000 miles and still breaking it in. Averaging 24.5 in winter weather so extremely happy with that. Traded a Camry Hybrid in after 63,000 miles so I know how to maximize this from the "get go". It's so much more functional than the Camry, and I wanted an awd for the wife who is now driving daily in all types of weather and needs the space to haul the grandkids around. I am pleasantly surprised at how much more comfortable it is over the TCH. It is extremely versatile yet an economical vehicle to drive. You do have to "baby it" to maximize the mileage, but even my wife is getting around 23.5 and she does nothing special.

Second row seats have excellent leg room! Does not drive like an SUV, holds to the road well (I do have the 19" wheels and big tires which I'm sure make some difference)

Would like leather without having to buy the loaded Limited models. Would be nice to have a few "stripped" Limiteds shipped in. They don't seem to exist.