Used 2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Couldn't Ask for a Better Car!
By Niblackfeet

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just can't say enough about this little gem. What I "sacrifice" in luxury and styling (and not a big sacrifice, it's a conveyance, not a living room!) I make up in performance and fuel economy. I have had this car for 4 years and have, admittedly, been pretty rough with it. I haven't yet had it in the shop except for yearly inspections. Recently, on a long, flat, straight trip, I traveled 500 miles on a tank of gas. I estimate the tank to be about 11 gallons so you do the math! 5 people can fit comfortably and the trunk space is phenomenal. It's easy to park and easy to drive. If you want a reliable car and feel responsible for environmental impact, this is the way to go

Favorite Features

Trunk size, fuel economy, ease in parking and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a flatter dashboard (but then again, I can just finish my coffee at home!).

Who needs a Smartcar??!
By Justin

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I drive my Echo, I forget that it is a 1.5 liter VVT-i and not a sports car. I was surprised when I test drove it, as I was expecting the response to compare to a Ford Tempo. The car has more interior room than my brothers 2008 Aveo, and my other brothers 2008 Focus! It is not the fastest car on the block, but it sure is fun to drive! I own the manual, so I wouldn't even want to ever drive an auto again!

Favorite Features

45 hwy MPG! 33 city! averages about 37! The room, the response, and the handling!

Suggested Improvements

Body style could have been more suited to both sexes, not just female! Mine is red, and reminds me of a cherry. NOT GOOD.

45 mpg gold mine
By Carla J.

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car because I was traveling 136 miles daily to and from work. I don't know how Toyota made a car that is so peppy (it made me feel 10 years younger just driving it) yet so easy on gas (45mpg). It's a small car but it rides great. The trunk room is unbelievable and if you need more room the back seats fold down. I love the simplicity (fewer things to go wrong with it). I've added flames and white letter tires to spruce up the looks of it. I call it the little car nobody wanted because it had been on the car lot for several months and nobody wanted it because it had a manual transmission and the way it looked. Their loss, my gain!

Favorite Features

I love the way i can zip around and get great gas mileage. Roomy inside. This car drives like no other I've owned!

Suggested Improvements

Add more radiator protection in the front. I had to put a peice of screen in front of mine to protect it!

It's all good from here!
By Joshie

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the best car for your money. It is so roomy and has so much storage it seems unnecessary to have the amount that it does. I have had 5 people in my car and everyone fits comfortably. I am also 6'8" and I fit in with no problem. Although the fuel economy is not what is listed (28 city) I think I drive too fast to get what is listed, but highway seems very good. Even though this car is small it can sustain a speed hovering around 80 mph. This car is great.

Favorite Features

The amount of space, price, fuel economy, reliability, and instrument placement.

Suggested Improvements

The front grille is nasty, the head lights are ugly, but the rear lights are cool, the interior could be more modern.

Great Car!
By Krystal

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is tops! I got an ECHO in 2001 for Christmas, I've never had a problem with it (other than a recall in 2006). Starts up in bad weather and is a great car for teens. Cheap to maintain and the gas mileage is wonderful. I drove from Madison to Chicago and back (~350miles) and still had 1/4 tank of gas left! Very roomy, especially the trunk. People are always surprised how much room is in that small of a car. Extremely reliable and REALLY fun to drive (5 speed manual)!

Favorite Features

5 speed. Trunk space. Speedometer placement (get comments on it all the time).

Suggested Improvements

None, this car is excellent!