Honda lost a sale
By flyhi152 on
2014 Toyota Corolla S Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)
I was going to buy a Honda Civic but then I changed my mind because the red color is only available with a disgusting beige interior, the seats reminded me of my grandfathers TV couch. So I bought a Corolla S-Plus with the convenience package. I just returned from a 700 mile test drive to Los Angeles. What I can say is that I am less tired now compared to the same trip in other vehicles. Driving at speeds of up to 80 mp/h feels like driving 60 in other vehicles. The noise level is low, the suspension and steering are excellent, the climate control is very user friendly.
Favorite Features
Design of front end, alloy wheels and dashboard. Good performance in combination with great gas mileage. User friendly controls like for example for the temperature.
Suggested Improvements
Fuel range display stayed at 45 miles, even after adding 5 gallons. When entering "Gas stations" "All" "Along route" between Blythe, CA and Mesa, AZ the GPS displayed "no results found". There were also other issues with the GPS, very sad since I paid about $ 2,000.- extra to have a GPS unit in this vehicle. What I was also missing was a power driver seat but it looks like the car manufacturers decided to make this feature exclusive to luxury vehicles. Other improvements: integrated headrests on rear seat look terrible, headrests on front seats should have a tilt mechanism. Radio should have buttons for stations.
By ntassistant
on 12/24/13 18:47 PM (PST)

I agree, the integrated rear seat headrests look horrendous on non-premium models. Premium models come with Softex seats and have adjustable rear headrests. With the integrated rear headrests, it reminds me of a roller coaster seat! I think aftermarket leather would look awful. Little cost cutting measures are very noticeable with the new Corolla. No more auto on/off headlights, no hood insulator, cheap trunk and gas door release handles with stickers that peel over time. I have been a huge Corolla fan and continue to hold interest in them, however I have seen the quality deteriorate over the last and present generations. Over time, cars should improve as prices rise. It is sad to see Toyota cutting corners but at least overall reliability is still up to par.