Used 2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Not for Seniors
By Jay R

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have had this 1st time Subaru for 1 year and find that it is not comfortable for us older citizens. The passenger seat is very low and cannot be raised. Passenger has a difficult time exiting car because the car is set low and the seat is low. Driver, 5'11" & 175, is hard on the legs for the same reason. With seat lowered for driving comfort car it is difficult to enter and exit. MPG not up to rating for all in city driving. But, once inside the car is very good driving and fun to drive. We will go back to a Camry even though the price on the Subaru is terrific. No service problems in the year. Be sure seats are comfortable and park at a curb on your test drive.

Trunk space is great, automatic doors and trunk useful, parking very easy, standard am/fm/cd very good.

Passenger seat needs height adjustment, side mirrors need improving.

A surprised 1st-time Subie Owner
By TITAN911

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser for this car, and I have been pleasantly surprised. It gets WAY better mileage than the FJ, which required premium gas. I took advantage of the smokin' $199/month lease that Subaru was offering, but I had never had one before. Needless to say, I was a little skeptical of just how good a Subie could possibly be, and I NEVER thought I would purchase one. All I knew was that they were equipped with all wheel drive, and there were many of them in Colorado. After my first test drive, I was sold! This car is every bit as good, and in most cases better than all the Toyota and Honda sedans I've owned. Better looks, handling, traction, interior, and comfort.

Mileage - I've been getting about 23 city and 31 highway. Looks- sleek and timeless looks that won't get old anytime soon (I think it looks better than the 2010 model)! Interior instrument panel, gauges, and seat comfort - I'm a sucker for cool-looking red and blue lighting scheme. The stereo ROCKS!

Maybe the 4-speed automatic. However, if you put it in Sport shift mode, it makes a big difference. It's much quicker to downshift, and it holds the gears longer. You can either let the sport-mode shift for you, or manually shift it yourself. Very cool. A little small, but perfect for 4.

Love this car!
By legacylover

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My new Legacy 2.5i SE is our 6th Subaru and arguably the best. The car is the smoothest riding and shifting car I've ever owned. At the end of a long day there is nothing like my commute home in it (1/2 hour, city and country driving) to make me forget my day. Better still the fuel mileage is way better than I was expecting (about 29 MPG mixed driving conditions). The seats are really comfortable and the stereo is pretty awesome too. Even though the interior is a little smaller than comparable models, it fits around you giving you a nice blend of sport and luxury. Now I can't wait for wintertime driving and its AWD / traction control. Our other Subaru is 14 years old and we still love it.

Smooth ride and shifting, plenty of power for this size car, well laid out instrument panel, comfortable seats, nice sound system, and really good gas mileage for an AWD vehicle. I like the front end and wheel styling as it gives a sporty appearance. The variable power steering is also great.

The 2010 will be quite a bit bigger inside which is nice for passengers as the interior is a little small in 2009. As the driver though it's a nice fit giving the feel of more of a sports car than a boring sedan. The plastic parts inside are a little cheap. Changing them would add a lot to the car.

Highly Underrated Performance Sedan
By Eric D.

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.0R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my 2009 Legacy 3.0R with nav for almost three months now and I absolutely love it. Its 3.0 V6 is incredibly smooth and quick, the interior (mine is black leather) is gorgeous -it looks like a much more expensive car on the inside- and its exterior styling is unlike other cars. I love that you don't see many Legacys on the road. It makes them somewhat unique. The AWD, 18" rims, Bilstein shocks, paddle shifters, and SI Drive make it a performance sedan. Although it's a four-door, it doesn't feel like one on the inside. It sits low and is narrow. It's the perfect size. I do wish the car had more technology features like an improved nav system, proximity key, HID headlights, etc.

Nav system works well. Harman Kardon stereo sounds great (but read below). Electroluminescent gauges are easy to read. I love the exterior color (diamond gray metallic) and the 18" rims, and of course the AWD. Seat leather is high-end. SI Drive is fun. I have gotten so many compliments on the car!

Update nav screen graphics. Harman Kardon front door speakers cause the plastic door trim to rattle and it's MADDENING. The dealership can't figure out how to fix it. Needs HID lights. More torque. Glove box & vanity mirror lights don't illuminate unless key is on, which is strange.

New Legacy
By John

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My sixth Subaru (79 and 87 wagons, 81 Brat, 95 Legacy, 03 Forester). Still have the Forester and Brat. Just picked up a 2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited-$21,800-and 2.9% financing. This is a good time to get the 09 models with the new 10's coming in. Initial impressions-firm but sporty ride, seats are hard (but I am coming from a very soft seat in a Ford Explorer), drove smoothly on the 125 mile trip back from the dealer. Nice sound system from the Harmon Karden stereo. Very similar in size to my old 95 Legacy -on the smaller size of the competition but my 6-year old fits fine in the backseat in her booster seat. 22.6mpg on the drive home but that should improve with time.

AWD, stereo, autoclimate control, sunroof, sport-shift transmission, stereo and cruise control on steering wheel, has a sporty look with dual exhaust, wheels, spoiler. Fold down rear seats.

Not a big fan of the red interior lighting-like my Forester better (has green lighting), Lowbeam headlights have a distinct cut off line on the horizon, parking brake intrudes on right leg, No rain channels-with open windows, water dripped in windows while driving