Used 2012 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Big Disappointment - Oil Burning and Other Problems
By jbv1105

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car, with only 26,000 miles on it, has not lived up to my expectations for build quality and reliability. The car burned oil at an alarming rate. One dealer claimed there was nothing wrong, then a second finally agreed there was an issue after the car failed an oil consumption test. They replaced the entire engine under warranty. Also I had an ignition problem, which had to be addressed due to the car not starting. Additionally, the car's battery was defective and had to be replaced. The Bluetooth on this vehicle is terrible, won't connect and has had to be replaced. There are unsettling rattles in the dashboard and excessive wind and road noise. I plan to get rid of this car.

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive, versatile hatchback design.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, build quality, engines that burn oil, poor sound insulation, rattles, rubbery and finicky manual transmission, Bluetooth, manual needs a 6th gear, excessive rust, sluggish performance especially in 3rd-5th gear.

Good company, fun car, but maybe not for 75-80 MPH driving or long commutes
By cbtx01

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought my Impreza in Sept of 2012. has been a good car, great on rain slick texas roads. CVT gave out at 80k miles, Subaru assisted with most of cost to replace. I recommend the company, but maybe not impreza CVT, which is not the same CVT as Legacy and Forrester according to what I have read.

Favorite Features

Handling, downhill cvt speed governing, bluetooth stereo connection ability, roof rack option, yokohama tires - first time I have used that brand and they lasted well.

Suggested Improvements

better quality, longer lasting CVT; backup camera; lubricant warmer to reduce warm up idle time; seats that promote good posture instead of enforcing bad. Impreza is not as bad as some, but could use improvement. Most car seats force my head forward at an awkward angle and give me headaches.

good things and frustrating things
By Bill Kowalewski-Barrera

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is our fourth Subaru. We do like the CVT transmission, quiet enough, and the car is peppy. The gas mileage is just what is published. What bothers me? I don't like the leather seats, too cold in the winter, too stiff. With cloth, you don't need seat warmers. In the 25k miles we've owned it, the fog, tail, and headlight bulbs have burned out, and both front half-shafts and the brakes were replaced. The dash has developed an annoying rattle. And twice a year, we need to take it back to the dealer to get the tpms switched between the summer and snow tires. The dealer has to reprogram it. Still a reasonable car, but not quite up to our Subaru expectations.

Favorite Features

AWD and real-world handling (for a non-performance car). Also, the sunroof, although pretty small. We will only have hatchbacks, so we like that too. The Subaru stereo with bluetooth is good, working well with our phones. Dealer is very friendly.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better quality control. Better electrical system. Bring back led tail lights. Get better batteries. Not up to past Subaru standards. Bring the car back to 2011 Impreza standards.

Very Disappointed
By greg1971

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my car in February of 2012. Like a lot of other users I noted that my oil usage was terrible. On January 6, 2015 I was in a serious car accident in which I struck the rear end of a truck. My airbags did not deploy and the vehicle immediately caught fire after impact. I am very lucky to be alive, but cannot get any kind of straight answer from Subaru as to why the airbags failed and why a fire started, nor have they expressed any interest in examining the car further.

Favorite Features

Very well equipped for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Oil consumption was a concern from my first oil change. The issues outlined with the airbags and fire, and the lack of interest expressed by Subaru is of very significant concern. I have taken my business to another vehicle manufacturer.

made of cheap plastic
By neveragain70

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Driven 46k. Mtor and drive OK, But burns oil, doesn't delver promise mpg and airbag and track warning lights continual go off and on due to poor engineering and sensor designs. Particularly digusting is fact that the outer body is made of thin cheap plastic with parts held on without screws. As such fog light covers are continually failing off and the body parts break with even gentle contact. I have been driving for 40 plus years and I have never seen such poor quality.

Suggested Improvements

buy a higher end car