2002 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Family of Xterras
By tex500 on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

purchased this 2002 Xterra, 11 months after purchasing the previous years model for my wife. I have driven many miles in this Xterra, shooting photos at race tracks across America. It has has been down some of the roughest roads, and not skipped a beat. The (e)Xterior, when washed, looks as good as the day I drove it off the lot. I even use it to pull a cargo trailer at times. Before the trailer, we amazed ourselves at how much equipment we could fit in the back with the seats folded down. Highway mileage is about 18-19 mpg. Not what I expected when I bought the first Xterra, but actually an improvement over the 2001 model.

Nissan
By ringrose69 on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Not bad but heavy on gas!!!

My Xterra
By Kaykamaka on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Xterra, but am thinking of trading it in for a new car after our recent ice storm. I know that all cars have problems on ice, but I could not even get traction in my driveway. I felt very unsafe in it even after the roads cleared a little. The noise from the road is bothersome while on highway. Should come equipped with rainguards on the window. Basic interior, awesome exterior. Really sporty and fun to drive. Hard to clean interior for messy drivers (like me).

The X-terrible
By negative slope on 12/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I mean X-terrible in a good way like not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good (Run DMC). This is a fun to drive great to look at vehicle. Forget going over $30K for a few meaningless bells and whistles, this truck has and does all that those trucks do. Plus it looks tough, this is no Estrogen-UV like some of the other, wimpier looking new entries into the market. Keep those jacked up mini-vans and give me a truck with raised white lettered tires and aggresive styling. The dirtier it gets, the better it looks. Rock on in your X- terrible.

Nissan Xterra
By MMR on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

fun to drive; always

Disappointed
By Amanda7 on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

We have had this SUV for two years. This is a truck based SUV and therefore, not always a comfortable ride. The gas mileage is horrible and the V6 engine isn't very responsive. At 45,000 miles, air conditioning started messing up. It only works half of the time and we are still trying to figure out what is wrong. Very disappointed with the overall performance and reliability of this Japanese vehicle.

Sluggish '02 XTerra
By SeaDweller on 11/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Vehicle looks great and is fun to drive. The Solar Yellow turns alot of heads as well! It is perfect for my lifestyle with the real-truck features I need with relative comfort for its class. Not much pep, however. It is sluggish on acceleration.

COMMENTS
By GLENREEDER on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

WORST VEHICLE IN MY 40YEARS OF DRIVING, WITH 12MILE TRANSFER CASE LEAKED OIL. HAD TO GET REPAIRED 3 TIMES.NISSAN SAID THEY NEW ABOUT PROBLEM. TOLD DEALER FOR ME TO KEEP DRIVING IT AND JUST KEEP PUTTING OIL IN. YOU BET! PULL OVER ON THE SIDE OF ROAD AND PUT OIL IN A TRANSFER CASE.BIGGEST BUNCH OF JERKS I EVER HEARD OFF. NISSAN IS AN OVER-RATED, LOSSY CAR COMPANY.

Love this SUV
By cmontoya on 10/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This SUV is tight. This truck does not lack power even though it's a 4 cylinder. It's geared for low end power so it's not too much fun in stop & go but I've proven it can climb hills with ease. Excellent control in snow without 4x4 also. I was already rear ended and slambed into the car infront of me. The car behind went under and only damaged the bumper. This truck is SAFE! I owned a Nissan truck before this with the same 2.4 motor for 12 years. 198,000 miles and it was a performer with no problems. Sold it to a friend and he loves it.

mom43bz
By mom43bz on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

watch out for rear window switches abs light may not come on while it is malfunctioning