Used 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Lancer Sportback model:

Love My Sportback; Gets Me Everywhere
By lighthouse333

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback LS 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Buying this car was a major improvement for me, and I previously owned a luxury sedan. The Lancer is extremely practical, I can easily sit five people and maintain ample comfort room, and in back I can store a great amount of groceries and packages (one of the many pros of having a wagon). I am around 112k miles and the Lancer hasn't failed me once, even when missing an oil change every now and then. Aside from the common Lancer issue with the climate control knob breaking, I haven't had to put much money into the car. Thanks to the reliability of my Mitsubishi I am definitely going to look into purchasing another from this company! (:

Dashboard and interface are clean and sleek and shifting gears is extremely smooth!

The seating in the car as a driver can be a bit uncomfortable if you are a bit shorter in stature, as they aren't necessarily ergonomic to that body type, but sitting as a passenger is perfectly fine.

Still love it after 10 years
By niftybergin

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback LS 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just turned over 155,000 miles in my Sportback, bought new in 2004. Have to say that I still love this car! I've kept up with the annual maintenance, use fully synthetic oil and high-test gas, and it runs great. Smooth and quiet. One major repair -- the A/C -- in all this time. Everything else has just been regular maintenance. Love that it has good pick-up when I need it to and that it's got enough power to handle mountainous roads. Even after 10 years and 155K miles, I still get 25 MPG city / 31 MPG hwy.

Great interior space. I use the far-back cargo space for hauling my large dog, but even the back-seat legroom is not too bad. I test-drove the 2004 Outlander at the same time, but ultimately chose the Sportback because it handled like a smaller car, which I liked. Also like that the driver's seat is height-adjustable, which picks me up off the road and makes the car easier to get in and out of.

Could wish that it had a bit more external style and flair, but it's an economy car, so the plainness is not objectionable.

A Great Sportswagon
By craig24

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This sports wagon is perfect for me. It has everything I want and none of what I don't. I wanted; a used, fun-to-drive, reasonably priced, reliable, roomy, comfy, fuel efficient, wagon with great visibility, low insurance and a compromise between sporty handling and good ride quality. I didn't want; expensive repairs & maintenance, electric leather seats, a sunroof, climate control (A/C button & dials are best), paying extra for a badge, a boring vehicle, an SUV. The Lancer Ralliart wagon has all of this and more. It's a great car for; commuting, driving spiritedly (it's not fast but sporty and rewarding), highway cruising, moving furniture, grocery shopping, carrying sports equipment.

I have only had the car 2 years and it's been fantastic. This review may sound redundant after reading all the others but here goes; Excellent build quality (reliable so far), tons of fun to drive, interior space is deceivingly large, decent fuel economy, well programmed auto trans., outstanding visibility (newer cars are terrible in this aspect), seats are amazingly comfortable in short and long trips, cloth (cool in Summer, neutral in Winter) and hold me firmly in spirited driving, engine is torquey at low revs and once it hits 3500 rpm it races to the redline, throaty exhaust sound but not buzzy while cruising, nice sound system (replaced head unit w ipod input), simple ergonomics.

Make it again so I can buy a (newer) used one that has depreciated significantly when mine dies. The new Ralliarts are hatchbacks, not wagons. The auto is great but I would have liked to try one with a manual transmission. Slightly higher ride height (1 inch) and sometimes I wish the suspension was a little less firm (only when I drive on some of the abominations that are referred to as "roads" in the Mid-West). Hit the industry with a marketing campaign similar to one that made small hatchbacks cool again. Wagons should be the future, they perform as cars but can have as much space as SUVs. Hopefully higher fuel prices will push us in the direction of Europe, where wagons outsell cars.

Buy it if it is cheap
By MD driver

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When you need a cargo space, there is no better choice than this car, really. Mivech works great and runs surprisingly good for a wagon. In reliability and built quality, this car will not be as good as any other major Japanese makers, but again, this car got cargo space that no other matches, at least with good gas mileage of a car instead of an SUV. So, there is only 2 reason to buy this car, cargo space, cheaper price, at least in used market, Mitsubishi goes way cheaper than Toyota or Honda. If money and cargo space is important to you, this car is for you.

cargo space, good engine, could be found cheap. the location of oil filter is good. I can change them without jacking up. for DIY, it is important.

engine noise. Mitsubishi cars are always noisier than others. needs a better Paint job.

Storage and performance
By Don Andretti

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback LS 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new. The seats are great, the head rests sit perfect so I can leave my head on the head rest while driving. The roof rack is great to hold cargo box. Suspension is stiff enough that the cargo loaded down for camping is forgotten about. I normal drive with a tool box in back and corners and pulls like a sport coupe. I bought this to keep up with my Datsun 280ZX that I still drive. The Sportback will out straight line and corner the Z but will not give you the precise feedback of the Z saying that about a wagon that gets the same MPG as My Z is amazing I now have 66k miles on the Wagon. MPG 29 hy "towing a HondaTRX450R" 26 hy PS this replaced my Dodge D-50 SP 5 sp

Power and MPG Mivec for MPG and power I did not like auto until I drove this. stiff suspension is a big plus for me but it is also compliant over bumps. and hardly notices wind. I do not like front drive but this is a good one. Mitsubishi makes more reliable autos than manual.

I installed The Injen intake to open up throttle response and MPG and optional manual 5 or 6 speed maybe a 5 or 6 speed auto would be nice not a CVT. Tires awful I installed Michelin Hydro edge for good all season handiling and tire life