2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:
On par with Toyota and Honda
By SarahG on 08/07/09 11:12 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been in my family for approximately 10 years now, and has given us no major problems. Acceleration is better than adequate, handling is excellent, and fuel mileage is good. It was my mother's to start, and then when it turned 8 years old, she gave it to my brother, who has a tendency to break things. He hasn't broken this yet, which is amazing. Neither my mother nor my brother have taken care of it as they should. I can't even remember the last time its been in for an oil change. My brother only had to replace the shifter cable @ 130,000 miles, and the radiator @ 135,000. Other than that, only regular maintenance, or lack thereof. I will only go foreign.

10 years and counting
By Irie on 06/10/09 10:17 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 4dr Sedan

Purchased in 1999. Fun, comfortable car to drive. I needed quick acceleration because of commuting on the beltway. Am not giving this car up, will be passing this car down to my children.

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES Cheap Parts
By Galant ES on 05/28/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

This car only has 73,000 miles on it and it runs great but, the parts are way too cheap and the value goes down like a rock in water. I see one of these cars in every corner. They are very common. Exterior parts aren't glued too well. The interior parts are aren't either. Not lots of room in the back. I've seen lots of these cars with the exterior paint fading. To be honest I do not think this car is one of the safest out there. Besides all that, the transmission is great I've had no mechanical problems with it. Just the brakes. Ive painted it once already. This is like a Honda except it has cheap plastic parts.

She Got the Job Done
By Brade on 12/10/08 18:39 PM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant DE 4dr Sedan

Well, I finally did it. I had a little fender mender with ole Bessie Lou, and she was totaled. But this was a fantastic car. I bought it new in '99 and it almost made it to ten years. I've always really liked the styling, especially for its class, and it proved to be very reliable too. Only routine maintenance (oil change, timing belt, brakes, tires, hoses) that never cost much. The only issues I had were build quality with the glove box (had to replace the latch) and the blinker switch that was weak plastic and finally snapped after 8 years (but it still worked). So if you see one of these on the cheap, hey, you could do a lot worse.

Great car
By maurice on 11/30/08 08:13 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

Bought mine in 2001 with 10000 miles. Now at 182000 and still going strong. Every couple of years It suddenly needs a new battery. I don't know why, but don't care, I have had no other issues with the car. I was going to trade it in, but my wife talked me out of it because it is such a low maintenance car. I replaced the radiator because of a small leak, do my regular services after they are due and change the oil every 5-7000 miles. The timing belt takes me about a half hour to replace and I have done it twice just as a preventative thing. It is not the prettiest car due to a couple south Florida hurricanes and I will probably repaint it soon.

Fun to drive but has serious problems
By Pete from NY on 09/25/08 14:27 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new in Jan. ’01. It was great for the first 4-5 years. Fun to drive, great pickup and sound system. Traction control works great in the snow. I did all required maintenance at the dealership. First, the horn stopped working (sensor in the steering wheel had to be replaced in ’04). Then the hood started rusting from the inside out together with several seams in the engine compartment. The hood was replaced by Mitsubishi but I had to pay for paining and installation ($400). The struts had to be replaced at 105,000 miles together with wheel bearings and other parts of the front suspension (total cost with new tires $2,200). The car is only worth $3,500.

Galant ES
By kh on 07/21/08 09:30 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my Galant ES new in August of 2000. After 8 years and 170k miles, this car still runs great. I still get 27-28 MPG and it starts as easily as it did in 2000. The only maintenance I have done besides brakes, tires, oil, is timing belt at 85k and plugs & wires at about 100k. I am starting to get some rust on wheel wells and around the bottom of the doors, but Ohio winters will do that to a car. When this car finally does quit running, I will definitely consider another Galant, just wish they got a little better MPG.

Cheap, Reliable % Good looks
By Mitsubishi ES on 06/24/08 15:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

I got the car with 40k miles for about 7500 usd and so far i think this is the best car that i could have gotten for that price. It's been super reliable, I have not had any major repairs done to the car other than maintenance like brakes, fluids, etc. I would definitely buy another galant. My galant has 120K miles currently and it still works perfect. This is the perfect car for commuting. Nothing will beat it.

Decent Car
By MJ on 05/17/08 19:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

I've been driving the Galant for about 4 years now. No major repairs, so I can't complain.

Love it!!
By joecool69 on 08/21/07 18:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

I have had mine for 4 years and it truly is a wonderful car. I named him Jack because he's a jack-of-all-trades. Comfortable, I still get 24 mpg in city and 37-40 hwy, reliable and just a good car. It's amazing. Never any real problems. I even was hit by a drunk driver going 57-60 mph and was not hurt except for a minor concussion and that was only because my car hit a tree in the back and I went forward. Had it completely restored and am still driving it now. Amazing!