Used 2003 MINI Cooper S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Super Fun But Also Expensive to Own
By Vespa2t

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

After owning a MINI S for 2.5 years and 15,000 miles I can say this is the most fun car I have ever had. However, it has been the most troublesome car for me to date as well with $2000 in repairs, and that is parts only because I can repair it myself. Now, this is a car that was owned by the lead MINI tech at the dealership for its first 70,000 miles and maintained religiously since new. And now it has rust, yes rust on a 7 year old car. There are two big holes in the sheet metal just below the taillights. Keep in mind when buying one that you are buying a BMW product and thus comes with BMW prices for parts and service.

Favorite Features

Super handling, solid feel, rocket acceleration with JCW kit, BMW quality interior, good MPG, and surprising cargo capacity with seats folded down.

Suggested Improvements

Make it so it doesn't rust and all those electric bits don't fail.

trouble ahead
By joe Hanafin

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is my first and only car. This has also been my baby I live in upstate NY and this car spends most of the winters in a garage this is the FIRST real winter out in the salt. The car has been great until this year... I have gotten in a minor fender bender were my rear passenger side was taped in a inch or two. The only reason this is relevant is I want any one reading this to know the entire story. I Have since found a hole in each of my mufflers. MINI wants $400 for the divers side and $300 for the passenger side exhaust. Also I have found a leak in the headers...I am just hoping thats a gasket problem. The current exhaust also has broken loss of the hangers twice now. In the past week i

Favorite Features

speed, agility, nice interior, conferrable ride and a fun six speed manual with a punchy supper charger.

Suggested Improvements

the stock exhaust sounds great but doesn't hold up, interior starts to rattle after some time, synchronizer troubles.

A little good, a lot of bad
By mini s

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I had this car at 40k it currently has 72k. This has got to be one of the funnest cars to drive until something goes wrong. Where do I start, let's just do a list: 1. Passenger seat (can't recline) cost $600 to fix 2. Driver side door will no longer lock by itself or with key $900 to fix... yup just to make the lock go up and down. 3. power steering went out at 67k. So many people have post the same problem but Mini says no recall, cost to fix $1300 4. Pinging and clanking noise from the supercharger might be bearings. Yes I do keep up with normal maintenance cost to fix. 5. Currently at 71k car is overheating. I am hoping it is just the thermostat

Favorite Features

Supercharger. A true go kart. Handles like a glove.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is a question.

The best!
By roadhogmini

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have had mine for 5 yrs. Just made my first repair tonight for $131. I kept up my maintenence and it's paid off. No problems what-so-ever. I have had 2 wear & tear replacements that I would consider normal. New brakes put on last year (bought them from online site & had local mechanic put on for much less than dealer) and am on my 3rd set of run-flat tires, also purchased from online site. Shipped to my house and put on at mechanics shop. At 107,000 miles, several friends are in a bidding war to buy mine when I upgrade in about a year. How many cars have that kind of draw? Everytime I think I will go back to a regular car, I drive a regular car and go running back to my MINI!

Favorite Features

Handling, exterior styling, fuel economy, low maintenence schedule

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if it didn't require premium gas!

I love Minis
By coryelli23

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is honestly the best car I have ever driven or ridden in. It is very fun to drive and has amazing handling. Also, the turning radius is very tight. The only bad thing about it is when you have to replace the tires. They are very expensive and hard to find. Honestly, I cannot see myself wanting another car.

Favorite Features

Sun roof, dashboard features, 6 speed

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement would be move the front cup holders. I never use them because they are inconvenient.