2003 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Super Fun But Also Expensive to Own
By Vespa2t on 08/19/10 05:54 AM (PDT)

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

After owning a MINI S for 2.5 years and 15,000 miles I can say this is the most fun car I have ever had. However, it has been the most troublesome car for me to date as well with $2000 in repairs, and that is parts only because I can repair it myself. Now, this is a car that was owned by the lead MINI tech at the dealership for its first 70,000 miles and maintained religiously since new. And now it has rust, yes rust on a 7 year old car. There are two big holes in the sheet metal just below the taillights. Keep in mind when buying one that you are buying a BMW product and thus comes with BMW prices for parts and service.

trouble ahead
By joe Hanafin on 04/07/09 19:13 PM (PDT)

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is my first and only car. This has also been my baby I live in upstate NY and this car spends most of the winters in a garage this is the FIRST real winter out in the salt. The car has been great until this year... I have gotten in a minor fender bender were my rear passenger side was taped in a inch or two. The only reason this is relevant is I want any one reading this to know the entire story. I Have since found a hole in each of my mufflers. MINI wants $400 for the divers side and $300 for the passenger side exhaust. Also I have found a leak in the headers...I am just hoping thats a gasket problem. The current exhaust also has broken loss of the hangers twice now. In the past week i

A little good, a lot of bad
By mini s on 02/24/09 19:33 PM (PST)

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I had this car at 40k it currently has 72k. This has got to be one of the funnest cars to drive until something goes wrong. Where do I start, let's just do a list: 1. Passenger seat (can't recline) cost $600 to fix 2. Driver side door will no longer lock by itself or with key $900 to fix... yup just to make the lock go up and down. 3. power steering went out at 67k. So many people have post the same problem but Mini says no recall, cost to fix $1300 4. Pinging and clanking noise from the supercharger might be bearings. Yes I do keep up with normal maintenance cost to fix. 5. Currently at 71k car is overheating. I am hoping it is just the thermostat

The best!
By roadhogmini on 06/09/08 18:55 PM (PDT)

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have had mine for 5 yrs. Just made my first repair tonight for $131. I kept up my maintenence and it's paid off. No problems what-so-ever. I have had 2 wear & tear replacements that I would consider normal. New brakes put on last year (bought them from online site & had local mechanic put on for much less than dealer) and am on my 3rd set of run-flat tires, also purchased from online site. Shipped to my house and put on at mechanics shop. At 107,000 miles, several friends are in a bidding war to buy mine when I upgrade in about a year. How many cars have that kind of draw? Everytime I think I will go back to a regular car, I drive a regular car and go running back to my MINI!

I love Minis
By coryelli23 on 02/07/08 10:17 AM (PST)

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is honestly the best car I have ever driven or ridden in. It is very fun to drive and has amazing handling. Also, the turning radius is very tight. The only bad thing about it is when you have to replace the tires. They are very expensive and hard to find. Honestly, I cannot see myself wanting another car.

Love it, but not the maintenance expense
By christalhp on 10/18/07 16:35 PM (PDT)

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I love my MINI, it's quick, responsive and fun to drive. But I've had to replace one run-flat tire for every year I've owned it - 200-500/tire. Add that to the three times I've had to replace parts for the window, the consistent rattling noises, and a guy wire in the door that pops off so I can't easily open the driver side door - I've spent more money on my Mini in the past four years than I ever did on my first car - a Honda Civic SI. You WILL be paying BMW prices for labor and parts. The allure of the initial price tag of the Mini (substantially lower than a BMW) is overshadowed by the maintenence costs - with alll the electrical problems of a BMW to boot.

Street Legal Go-Kart
By tcchadwell on 04/24/07 12:11 PM (PDT)

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Bought my '03 S used last year with only 25k miles. Runs and looks like new. Great paint job (British racing green). Gets lots of looks wherever I go. My daughter wants me to keep it for her (10 years until she drives thank goodness). Two friends have one as well and we have all been happy with them. Lots of local owner clubs around metro areas too. Would definitely recommend to anyone wanting a truly enjoyable car to drive. I look forward to going fo a spin every time. Resale value is at the top of all vehicles made today. Good gas mileage too.

Fun to Drive When Not in the Repair Shop
By Joe & Cindy on 02/10/07 15:31 PM (PST)

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is a great car to drive, but our Mini Cooper S has had multiple trips to the repair shop for various quirks - a replaced key reader (after 3 visits), squealing clutch, replaced head, noisy blower fan replaced, electric fan for power steering replaced, vented gas-cap issues, short run-flat tire life (<25,000 miles). All of this at under 30,000 miles and 3 years. The dealership was very supportive, though, and took care of the problems, even towing our car back to dealership for most of the repairs (100 miles, one-way) for no charge.

Love the Car
By John on 12/01/06 14:05 PM (PST)

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The Mini Cooper holds the road like a magnet. Has great responsiveness and engine bite. It is excellent on winding roads in my area, as well as on the highway. The amenities in the interior make it feel like a luxury car. It brings me back to my TR4A days, only no rust or oil leaks.

Good Bang for the Buck
By PJ on 11/04/06 07:48 AM (PST)

2003 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Without exception this is the best car I have ever owned. This automobile is solidly built, extremely well finished, and just pure fun to drive. I have owned a number of high end cars but none of them compare to this gem. Mini has the smartest marketing and support from the factory to the dealer, it's a total winner.