2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
Super automobile
By billyq on 09/07/12 09:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned my car since 2003, it currently has 212,000 mile runs as new, everything works. Maintenance is a must- after warranty never never take to a MB dealer - find an independant shop that work on MB's. The car drives better than the new S550, just missing the technology of the newer car, but rides and handles much better. take care of the car and it will take care of you in comfort.

No other car compares....
By adrockj on 08/07/11 21:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

i purchased my 2001 s500 with 86K miles on it for $12K. i now have 188K miles and it still drives like new. i am still amazed that people still bring their cars to the dealership for repairs??!! ANY vw mechanic can work on your benz. it is not rocket science. i needed to have my water pump replaced and it cost me $500.00 out the door including parts and labor. other than that, i just bring it to jiffy lube for the fluids and oil changes. this car has cost less in repairs than any other car i have owned and gets about 20 mpg.

Beware of Dealers
By jgbecker on 02/09/11 14:49 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2001 S500 with 8,000 miles back in 2004, and it presently has 110,000 miles on it. I have been generally happy with the vehicle. My worst experience in owning this vehicle is having to deal with Mercedes Benz Dealers/Dealerships/Service Departments. Once your Mercedes warranty runs out, the service departments at Mercedes dealers are forever trying to recommend unnecessary repairs to the vehicle. The dealers are constantly looking to fabricate repairs to bill to the extended warranty company. Most, if not all of these repairs are unnecessary. The Mercedes dealers make the ownership experience miserable. Stay away from them and you'll do fine.

S 500 not a lexus but a great car
By srosa on 01/31/11 16:34 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my car with 50k on it. It now has 75k so I fell I know the car pretty good. I had to replace the air suspension($350) if you do it yourself. Also the radiator fan motor(bought fan onling) and a fuse for the left side of the car electronics(not happy about that). Also some rust at seams of the body. If you are unable to do some work yourself and dont like car repair bills by a lexus or bmw. This car is nice to ride in, very comfortable. A bmw is a nice car to drive. Great pick up for a big car. Timeless look.

Pay to Play
By S500 on 07/27/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The car has been amazing to drive over the past two years, I purchased it with 50,000 miles thinking I was getting a steal, but in the past year the radiator has cracked and my front right air suspension went out. Both were close to 2 grand in repairs. When it's running good its fantastic, but be careful past the 8 year mark

Don't buy Mercedes S500
By Abi Vahdatinia on 07/07/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I am sick and tired of having problems with my S500 all the times. I took my car to a Mercedes dealer for oil change and inspection, the estimated cost for repairs is over $11,000. $1,600 for a headlamp replacement, $1,600 for replacing spark plugs and wires, $2,400 for replacing a leaking ABS pump, and so on. The estimate does not include the broken moonroof and tire pressure system. I don't recommend this car to anyone.

Ultimate Driving Machine
By Quarterbacking on 06/05/10 17:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I still own the S55 AMG I purchased in 2001. I use it as a pleasure vehicle (Driven 1 to 2 times per week), as a partially driven car over the last 10 years it has been a pretty decent vehicle w/ it's share of problems. Overall, it's great vehicle and a huge conversation piece.

Nice Car. A monster
By Nas on 05/29/10 21:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

Great speed and handling! Love the outside sport look and the large room compared to my previous BMW cars. Will keep it for sure.

Mercedes Benz S500 year 2001
By peter Ulrich on 03/02/10 17:20 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This car in the new generation of electronics, after almost 10 years of driving still excellent.

Electrical nightmare
By Muskmelon on 12/27/09 22:04 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I have mothballed this car after a little over a month of driving. Cooling fan motor bearings bad ($830 for the part!), bad starter solenoid, entire center row of buttons on the dash do not function, small rust spots on fender seams, flickering headlights, intermittent trouble light telling me I have a bad bulb in the rear that is not bad. Can't get parts except from dealer and then they need to be programmed to the vehicle. I want my 1996 Ford Taurus back but until spring I will drive my 175,000 mile Suburban which is reliable and can be repaired with parts that are cheap and readily available. Car ran great for 2 weeks!