2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
I got the lemon
By ed on 12/14/05 10:13 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Nothing but problems since day 2 of ownership. The first 30 days car was in shop for repairs 33% of the time.

Mecedes Getting It Right
By D. Stumpf on 11/08/05 15:43 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

In spite of the negative press MB has received of late, I do think they are getting it right in the 2005 and 2006 model years. In particular I have nothing but praise for my trusty E320. This is my third MB (2nd in the last 3 years) and by far the best. In fact, I think it outshines anything in it's class. I now have nearly 15,000 miles and my only service has been for scheduled maintenance. It's been a trusty vehicle for over a year now, and I would not own any other brand for this type of car. My only complaint (and this holds for the 2003 models as well) is extremely poor wear on OEM tires. I have over 45,000 miles on my 2004 Acura MDX with less apparant wear than the MB.

E55 Review
By L Osmont on 11/02/05 13:51 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

The automotive know-how that went into this car is simply amazing. It is incredibly versatile and user friendly. It will willingly comply whether you want to go slow and smooth or fast and hard. The fit and finish is superior and the outside looks elegant and powerful. The engine is scarily powerful. You will NEVER AGAIN wish you had more horsepower at your disposal, and braking is very authoritative. This is an everyday car, a super car, a family car and a commuter car all in one.

My E55
By Bernie Nelson on 09/23/05 23:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

When I bought this car I knew it was very powerful as the dealer gave me the keys to a demo and myself and my thirty year old son went for a test drive. The power the car has is unreal. It takes off like no other. It gives you a feel of pleasure and is actually much safer than a car that is much slower as it allows you to get out of the way of others in defensive driving and gives you great confidence by the way it handles. I drive a canyon fifteen miles each way everyday and love the way it handles. Don't get me wrong I am not a speed demon buy why would you want to spend an extra twenty thousand on a car when you can buy the E500. Its a great car and I recommend it highly

My Baby
By Lincoln Walther on 09/20/05 13:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Why buy a E320 when you can get a E320 CDI! Amazing torque (no hesistancy), smooth ride, great handling, huge trunk, and unbelieveable fuel mileage (not to mention diesel is cheaper). On the road I get around 36.5 miles per gallon, that's driving 70 mph. The only way I will get rid of this car is when Mercedes produces a CDI wagon.

Driving feel being lost among electronics
By jgo on 09/09/05 11:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd MB. Owned an E500 4m for a year, and decided to sell. First the good news, the car was totally reliable and finely finished inside and out, but a few months of driving revealed a series of irritations that added up. There's throttle lag in this model, and brakes are hard to modulate due to the 'SBC'. The steering power assist at lo speed is non existent, and at any speed the wheel needs constant input to stay on line. The airmatic works well at speed in corners and to isolate cabin, but go over a bump at lo speed and your head will bob. My old E430 4m felt roomier and easier to drive in suburbia and city. This car is engineered to compete with BMW in autobahn conditions, not on Long Island.

Fast and Fun
By C Hilton on 09/04/05 18:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

It doesn't corner like my old 7 series BMW -- but this is perhaps the most fun car I've ever driven. Classy, comfortable, easy to drive, and the raw acceleration is hard to beat. Nav is overly complex -- but the surround stereo is hard to beat. (goes through tires fairly quickly, though).

Sweet CDI
By granite on 08/20/05 21:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is the vehicle that blows away all the old dirty diesel tales. It's quiet, burns clean and with all the torque available, absolutely hauls the mail. Add to those qualities the fact that I get almost 38 mpg on the highway (Reno to Phoenix on one tank)...the fuel efficiency increases with high average speeds (75-85)...and about 30 mpg in town. If you're on the highway a lot...you gotta go for the 6CD changer and Sirius system (when's the IPOD dock coming?!)...COMAND is cool. I'm never leaving this car.

Lovin it
By CDI Impressed on 08/09/05 00:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is an amazing car. Luxury, power and economy. Our test drive sold us on the CDI. It was more powerful than an E320 gas model.

Wonderful Ride
By Ohio Driver on 07/27/05 14:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Recently purchased the E500 at several thousand under dealer invoice. This car is fantastic. It has great power, comfort, and with the adjustable suspension, a great ride for any occasion. The dynamic seats are a feature I'll never be without again. The mileage is good considering the power and my heavy foot. Better than 27 mpg highway and 22 overall per the onboard computer. Navigation makes driving in new places a breeze. Takes the guess work out of knowing where you are. The transmission is smooth, but the brakes are a bit touchy. Takes a while to get used to them. My other car is a C320 and it now feels slugish by comparison.