Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Most Helpful|
great car
By bddog

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've had the car for two years and have had no complaints. Still loving it.

Favorite Features

Looks terrific.

Suggested Improvements

Everything is an option which got a bit pricey. Incorporating standard options (leather, sunroof, cd, seat warmers) in a discounted package would be great.

Love this little car!
By JAG

Recently purchased this car for commute to and from work. Averaging 25 mpg, over 30 on the freeway! The car is sporty but not overly flashy, and is a lot of fun to drive. It is our second MB, and now I wonder why we ever drove anything else. It is a much stiffer ride than most MBs, but that just adds to the sporty feel of it. Bigger back seat than you would think for the size of the car, and the seats fold down so you can fit a surprising amount of cargo when necessary. This car is destined to be passed to our oldest when she begins driving.

Favorite Features

MB prestige, steering wheel controls, hatch back and folding seats, sporty feel

Suggested Improvements

On board computer menus are complicated

Geat Car For The Money
By Mouse

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C320 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Been a very good car (close to 100K miles now). The only failures have been the hood struts, pano roof, and the multi function display. Both hood struts and MFD are easily fixed by anyone with the slightest mechanical skill. Pano roof is basically unfixable because of the significant cost (and lack of utility anyway). Handles very well had has adequate power. A bit slow off of the line though. Very practical as it is a hatchback and storage is generous. Rear seats fold down which gives even more cargo room. Simple to maintain yourself (both A & B service). Get one used with the leather interior and the Bose sound system (sound is excellent). Avoid the pano roof if possible. I give it an A-

Favorite Features

Bose sound system Summer/Winter suspension modes V6 engine Leather seats very comfy Oil check system is great (no need to open hood)

Suggested Improvements

A pano roof that is not prone to failure. Same for the multi function display.

If Mercedes Benz built a Mustang
By RGrant

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C320 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

If Mercedes Benz built a Mustang; this would be it. I have had my C320 coupe for almost 3 years and a little over 30K miles. It is one of the rare ones equipped with short throw a six speed manual. (Less than 50 C320s with manuals where imported from Germany). The car continues to make me smile everytime I drive it. The acceleration is impressive, the handling tight and the fuel economy, surprisingly good. There will never be a Mercedes quite like this one in the US again; too bad. I've heard that the C350 version in Europe (278HP) can do 0-60 in 5.4 sec.

Favorite Features

SLK/Crossfire performance with room for four or very large packages.

Suggested Improvements

Continued availablity. It would have been nice to be able to get the diesel version (45mpg)

C230 Bag for not much Buck
By kompressorking

Recently bought my C230 Kompressor w/ manual 6 speed tranny. So far so good. It's just over 100,000 miles, 1 owner and care for... it shows. Also purchased and very extensive 5yr/100k extended warranty too. I've owned 72 cars (all different makes/models) and have been a BMW fan for ever. This is my 3rd Benz and its a pleasure to drive. 30+ mpg on the freeway @ 85+mph, shifts smooth and has decent power to climb freeway hills with ease, even in 6th gear. Traded in my Jaguar S-type for this and I have no regrets. I will say the Jaguar was a better looking car, but that's it. I'll update more as I add more miles...

Favorite Features

6 speed manual, supercharger, 1/2 power - 1/2 manual from seats. Metal interior accents (none of that boring wood stuff), factory 17" rims, pretty kick-a$$ factory stereo system...

Suggested Improvements

Front cup holders are worthless, "auto-on" headlights don't activate with the fog/driving lights which means if you like using the fogs, you CAN'T use the auto on, really??? The Kompressor engine is a little noisy but seems to be the norm with different years I've observed/heard, The bright RED paint wasn't my favorite choice, but its growing on my. Besides, small price to pay for a manual 6 speed Benz...