Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Really good car
By ildd

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Well, 1st let me say that I am 17 and this was my 1st car. We've had it since 2004, it has 56k miles on it, and we have never had a SINGLE problem(knocks on the beautiful wood inside the car). I like alot of the things about the car, but if your 6'1 it can be a little challenging getting in and out comfortably. It rides nice, it looks great with a couple minor upgrades(tinted windows, non-stock M-B rims) and it handles very well. The only thing I don't like about it is, of course, the engine and how it works. I've driven 6 other cars and this is the slowest in 1st/2nd gear, but it flies once you hit 3rd. It also doesn't help taking premium gas, while getting 16 MPG. Gotta love it. It's a MB.

Favorite Features

Rides nice, very comfortable once you get in it, handles very smoothly, a lot of features other cars don't have, even now.

Suggested Improvements

Better Headlights, sometimes if you press brakes too hard it gives an awful smell, better fuel economy for premium gas.

2002 C230 Kompressor /Coupe
By johnny3691

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Do not buy a 2002 C230 Kompressor, I bought it new in Mid-2001 and now have 155k. The following work are being done now and some work were done last year: Cost around $3000.00 Front Suspension shock absorbers Front Right sway Bar link Adjust wheel bearings Left and right torque struts left lower ball joint Sway Bar Front Brake Pads and Rotors Maintenance average $2000.00-$2500.00 in 2008-2009. Right lower ball joints/Arms. The engine lights problem was very expensive to fix. I spent $2500.00 for check engine light problems and the problem only went away for about 1 week. The dealer simply told me to pay more money to replace more parts. I finally gave up on the engine light.

Favorite Features

Performence, fast.

Suggested Improvements

Build better quality parts

I can't even Lie about it..
By Mike in VA

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

To be perfectly honest I was going to leave an excellent review, Why? Because I need to get rid of this absolute failure of a car! But I thought and came to the conclusion: I can't even lie about this piece of junk, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I bought it used in 04 with 22K, still under warranty, within 2 months the transmission went out, they replaced free with a new one, not too bad right? WRONG! then (no warranty) due to the tranny problem (or visa versa) the torque converter and radiator went bad: $3500 2 catalepsy converters: $1100 ea 2 alternators: $1000ea 2 mass airflow intakes: $900ea 5 SETS OF TIRES AND 4 BREAK JOBS (with rotors), they don't give us enough room to list all failures

Favorite Features

-auto door locks don't work, ac has been charged 3 times, twice after leak supposedly fixed $850) cd changer gone, sun roof. Gone. To the person (of course) that wrote they are getting 28.9 mpg. In this car? It cant even get that hanging off the back of a tow truck (it's most frequent position)

Suggested Improvements

Truthfully, the worst car I've ever owned. Seriously, Mercedes is taking us for fools, they're selling us way over priced junk and pushing it as old school German quality and then their cashing in on ridiculous maint and repair costs. Proprietary to MB service centers only of course. Crooks

REPEATED COSTLY REPAIRS - NIGHTMARE
By WARRENFDS

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

expensive repairs. seat electronics cost $4000. remote key did not work, omni bar changed $1000. Spark plug wires defective recommeded fix $1500. Defective Lower front control arms fix $750. These are not routine maintenance issues but defective manufacturing which I do not expect on a $40,000 german car. Pls do not buy Mercedese if they are not able to guarantee defective products in their vehicles.

Very satisfied
By Jean-Michel

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this 2002 c-240 in October 2009 with only 62,000 Km. 6 months later, the odometer is 82,000 Km and never had any problems with this car. I maintain my car with synthetic oil.

Favorite Features

The car feels solid for a 2002.