2000 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Aint she cute? and Sporty too!
By Betty on 04/01/10 18:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

Bought this car about 1 1/2 yrs ago w/73k miles on it, little 'ol lady owned it, now has about 107k. Figured we'd get good mpg since it's small, about 28 avg. right now, better than 17 we replaced it with! Really wanted a manual transmission, that would have really made it even more fun to drive, and probably better mpg. Put synthetic oil in at about 80k miles after lots of research and believe that made a difference. We all enjoy the drive (ages 19-50), handles real good, tires can make BIG difference though! Four bangers seem to be a little noisy but after we replaced bearings due to accident it made quite a difference! Picks up & go's pretty good and overall Nice car!

I loved my car.
By zachisawesome on 11/01/09 00:28 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2004 and kept it until this year when I unfortunately crashed it. It was a wonderfully reliable car in the 5 years I owned it. The battery failed once but I cleaned the alternator and it was back to charging just fine, and never failed again. Handled great except in rain, but that could have been tires and brakes getting old. Never had a problem with the CD player volume not working like some people have said. Interior and exterior was still holding up well. It only went into the shop once for regular maintenance though needed to go back for brakes and suspension. Definitely a much nicer car than my friend's civics and corollas, and just as reliable. I loved this car

The best car we've ever owned!
By mazdabois4life on 04/29/08 00:31 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

We bought our Protege brand spankin' new - she only had 7 kms on her. Today she has 278,000 kms. We have only replaced the alternator and the thermostat - that's it! This car is by far the best car we have ever owned. It took out a deer at 60km/h with a minor ripple in the hood and broken headlight. The gas mileage is incredible, we can easily go 700 kms on a tank of gas. The only recurring issue is something with the electrical. Last year we began blowing headlights every other day - the backyard mechanic we took it to rigged it so we only have headlights now, no highbeams - no biggie. When and if this one ever dies we will definitely be buying a Mazda again - more then likely a Mazda3.

Amazing little car!
By sexylondonboi on 10/14/07 23:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

We bought our Mazda brand new off the lot. Our commute to work and back is nearly an hour each way and 9 mths out of the year is during the harsh canadian winter so we needed something that could stand up and be reliable. Our Mazda was nothing less then that. Being young drivers with our first car we weren't quite aware of "regular scheduled maintance" - we just drove. Our car currently has 256,000 kms on it and the only thing we have replaced was the alternator last year. This car is amazing, it's been in the ditch twice, hit a deer and yet the darn thing keeps on going. It is going in for its second tuneup of its lifetime this Thursday so we can get another 256000 from her

Ok
By Vince on 12/13/06 11:01 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

Just bought this used to act as commuter car. Styling is more boring than white paper. Engine is very loud at highway speeds. For a small car, gas mileage isn't too impressive. Probably due to the fact that engine is around 3500 RPM's when cruising @ 70 MPH. Fairly agile and nimble. Fun to drive backroads, unless you have a lot of hills, then expect a struggle. Not too shabby as a commuting car, but I'm glad this isn't my pride and joy.

Fun to Drive for so little
By ozman406 on 12/23/05 11:24 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I got a great deal on this car at end of year. I wanted every option available. I log lots of highway miles due to commute. This car is a hoot to drive. I put better tires on it and it handles beautifully. I perform all scheduled maintenance on time and have had no issue except for the ABS brakes. The last time I had them replaced about 10k miles ago, the dealer didn't even do a test drive. I started to drive off the lot and the noise and grabbing was unbearable. Lost another day without it until they fixed the issue.

Nothing but problems
By Kassie on 10/14/05 17:29 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

This is my third and final Mazda that I will ever own. I have had nothing but problems with it in one way or another since I drove it off the lot.

Miracle Car
By mazda rocks! on 09/09/05 13:09 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

This amazing car has survived a major ($7k) deer attack when it (my Protege) was just a few months old, a crappy dealer that forgot to replace the oil cap so had 100 miles of driving with no oil, and still -- at 80k I have only replaced tires and brakes. The car handles like a true sports car. I still surprise other drivers, and is comfortable and just unbelievably reliable.

Nice Ride
By Dude on 03/03/05 14:50 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 5 years and put on 98,000 miles. Over all it has been a nice little car; it is fun to drive and has been fairly reliable. There have been some problems with it - the starter coil has burned out twice and the catalytic converter went on me. All of these problems were covered by the original warranty. Additionally, two of the automatic door locks have broken which is a real pain. I have had 3 or 4 sets of tires and the poor weather handling has always been a problem. If I didn't have a 5-speed to slow the car on snow, I don't think it would ever stop sliding.

Mazda All the Way
By DA2799 on 02/01/05 22:43 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

Purchased my Protege and have had 50k trouble free miles to date. What this little rocket lacks in power it makes up for in handling and sheer driving pleasure. I've replaced the original tires with Pirelli PZero Nero's and they are a blast on this car. Other than the lack of sheer power I love this car. Other than normal maintenance this is the most trouble free car I've owned; starts always not a worry to report.