Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

MX-5 experience
By mx5 sport

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I like the Miata for its sporty feeling and it is fun to drive. It is the roughest riding car I've ever owned and definitely wouldn't want to drive it on a long trip. This car is like it's glued to the road which is good for handling but not for ride comfort. It rides like it doesn't have springs much like a Go-Kart. The road noise inside car is quite loud also. Power wise it has no problem for get up and go. Miata is probably the best bang for the buck as far as little sports cars go. When driving in heavy rain you better slow way down as this car will get scary as it will hydroplane easily.

Favorite Features

Ease of putting top up and down. Handles very well. Gas mileage 31-35 mpg. Handles and corners like it's on a rail.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for driver. Soften the ride a little. Lessen road noise also. Move the engine oil filter or make access to it better as it is hard to get at to change.

Excellent car
By Tom Briggs

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club Spec 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The MX5 is the closest thing to a motorcycle you'll get with 4 wheels. Exremely fun to drive. Very responsive. I love driving this car almost as much as riding my motorcycle. Excellent fit and finish. If you want a fun to drive car, this is it.

Favorite Features

Transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.

Kyle's review
By Mazdaguy

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I really enjoy my 2006 roadster. It is the best handling car I have ever owned. It takes turns at 65 miles an hour, not too shabby. I will take handling over real fast anyday.

Favorite Features

Handling, look, feel.

Suggested Improvements

A little more horses.

Simply Too Much Fun
By RW

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is actually my second Miata (I had a 2003) and while I loved the 2nd generation, the improvements to the third are fantastic. The car is just a blast to drive - feels much more rigid and refined than the 2nd-gen, while maintaining the car's signature dynamics. The additional room (I'm 6'1") was more than welcome, and more power is always a good thing as well. It splits commuting duty with a motorcycle - and is as close an equivalent to a four-wheel bike as you're going to find for this price. It is just impossible to have a bad day behind the wheel. Do NOT test drive unless you are completely prepared to buy, because there's a really good chance after a spin you'll be signing papers.

Favorite Features

There's probably not enough room here. Power (and sound), handling, trunk large enough for a week's worth of groceries, tremendous grin factor.

Suggested Improvements

Not much - I wish the center console cupholders were deeper for storage (I do my coffee at home). The cover intrudes to where it's not deep enough for a garage door opener. The door holder does sunglass duty. The car rides pretty high in stock form - MAZDASPEED springs will correct this shortly.

An excellent fun car
By Justin

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I use my car as a daily commuter in Northern VA and couldn't be happier. While the stock suspension is a little soft for me - I used to have a BMW M3 - the top operation is amazingly simple and quick, the build quality is great and the engine is free-revving and makes nice power for putting out 170hp / 140tq. Remember that the car weighs under 2500 pounds!

Favorite Features

Telepathic steering.

Suggested Improvements

A little too much body roll into the corners hard with the stock suspension.