Used 2011 Lexus GX 460 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Lexus GX 460 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GX 460 model:

Great new features over the 2004 if they worked
By haultj

2011 Lexus GX 460 SUV Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in my 2004 GX470 for this in March of 2011. I have been driving this every day and on some vacation trips. Overall it is a comfortable vehicle to drive and has all of the new toys including the Mark Levinson audio. I had the Mark Levinson in my previous and both sound amazing. I have driven both in rough terrain and in bad weather. I prefer the 04 for handling over the 11 because the 11 feels more sloppy in the turns. The 11 also drinks more fuel than my 04. My biggest complaint is the poor functionality of the voice controls. Lexus has refused to resolve this and said that without error codes in a log, they will do nothing more. Perforated leather was a bad choice.

Safety features are wonderful. I was hit by someone who ran a red light doing 50mph and the vehicle did what it was supposed to do; it protected me. There was close to $30k in damage but the passenger compartment was untouched. USB and Bluetooth connectivity for the audio system. Steering wheel controls for the audio are great. Have I mentioned that the Mark Levinson audio is fantastic? I sometimes have it cranked while on the road and it performs very well.

Fix the hands free interface. In this vehicle I find myself arguing with the voice command system or just plain laughing at how bad it interprets what I say. The same problem exists when I use the Bluetooth for telephone calls; more than 60% of the time I need to turn off the speaker phone and pickup the telephone so that people can understand what I am saying. Never had a problem in my wife's 11 GS; it works flawlessly. The perforated leather is a bad idea because the leather is more prone to damage and is less durable. Return the DVD updates for the navigation. The new hard drive system cannot be updated by the owner which means the $300 DVD in the old system is now a $600 cost.

Comfortable but No Soul
By ponch

2011 Lexus GX 460 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is a quality vehicle with nice features. I could not believe how comfortable the driving position was and how smoothly it drove around town. However, I ended up trading out of it for the following reasons. 1) It LABORS on the highway and is a tiring ride on long trips. 2) It feels unnecessarily big 3) The NAV and iPod systems are annoying 4) It chugs gas making you ask the question, "Do I really need this vehicle?" 5) Overall, this is a very pretty vehicle, but it has no soul. If you absolutely need a USEFUL 3rd row and you don't care about sending your college savings $$ to the Middle East, then this vehicle might be for you. Otherwise, I would absolutely recommend a BMW X5.

Comfortable Seats, Back-up camera, Overall expensive feeling cockpit.

Needs an friendlier iPod and NAV interaction. Very tedious. Needs better fuel economy. Should feel greater thrust on freeway and should hold lane with tighter steering and confidence and not give you that floaty, trucky feel.

Still the best on the road!
By ccdcn

2011 Lexus GX 460 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

we traded in our 2009 470 for the 2011 460 and have had it for over 1 year. It still performs and rides as it did the day we drove it off the showroom. Quiet, smooth acceleration, a 500 mile trip is just a smooth ride - no back ache or sore muscles. I have owned a 4 runner and anyone who compares that to a 460 doesnt know what they are talking about. Great vehicle highly recommend it -

seat comfort - driving on long trips - highway performance is effortless - hard to stay within the speed limit

none

2nd GX...
By bobbio56

2011 Lexus GX 460 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Traded loaded '04 with 119k miles for '11. The '11 is much more refined, smoother and more tech'ed savvy. Mileage for first 1400 miles has been at least a 25% improvement. 3rd row seats are easy to use. Very quiet and stable at all speeds. Cooled front seats are great. Kinetic suspension performs really well, had that on my '04 as an option. blue tooth phone quality is excellent, voice commands for all functions is sub par. Paint quality is a vast improvement over '04! Looked at every suv & crossover out there and came back to Lexus/GX.

Ventilated seats Keyless everything Ventilation system Power 3rd row Center console storage USB port Bluetooth reception

More power outlets More Ambient Lighting Bigger individual options list

Great Purchase!
By csmith37

2011 Lexus GX 460 SUV Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We couldn't be happier with this purchase. When you buy a Lexus, you know it's going to be pricey, but you also know it's going to be outstanding in its quality. Although it's big, you don't feel like you're driving a bus like some of the others SUVs. Of course, the gas mileage is not ideal, but you know that going into buying any large SUV. This is our first Lexus, but I have a feeling it won't be our last!