Used 2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

SUV that ACTUALLY performs off road
By Patric Payette

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

One of the best SUV's I've ever driven. It handles on road well and off road even better. With no after market parts I've taken my Liberty far into the bushes and it handles mud pits with ease. When on pavement it drives nice, has good power and does everything an SUV should do on the road. Other SUV makers should take note. This is a true offroad vehicle unlike most SUV's in its class. If your a soccer mom I'm sure it would fill your needs as well. Nothing is more fun than driving downtown with my Jeep Liberty covered from top to bottom in mud after mudding and seeing all the looks you get from "city drivers". I have absolutely pounded on this Jeep and haven't had any breakdowns.

Great 4x4 system. Good clearance offroad but isn't too hard to get in and out of under normal circumstances. Perfect sized engine for the work. Great heat and A/C. Nice visuals out all windows making driving very comfortable and easy.

Tanks is kind of small for its gas mileage, limiting how far into untamed wilderness you can go into.

Love It
By Matt

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We LOVE our 2003 Liberty. We bought it used with 20,000 miles on it and have added 60,000 to it and only replaced the belt and belt tensioner. (plus brakes and tires) I replaced the original tires at 70,000 only because I was worried about them being so old. They still had 1/2 tread. When our son turned 16 last month, we gave him the 2003 and went and bought a 2008 Liberty. Like it even more and it's hard to believe but the 2008 is even faster. These things are rocket ships. The seats in the 2003 are a bit uncomfortable but the 2008 has that fixed. You could nap in those puppies. And the new sky-slider roof is just about the coolest feature on any car anywhere.

Power, overall quality, low cost of ownership, holds it's value very well, can go absolutely anywhere, it is actually fun to change the oil since it has that built in funnel to catch the spillage from the oil filter.

Gas mileage and nothing else. Don't fix it, it ain't broke.

197,000 Miles and still going strong!
By shemp76

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just hit 197K miles the other week and have had very few issues outside routine maintenance. Replaced the AC compressor two years ago, rotors twice (due to my own neglect). Still only on 3rd set of tires and they have at least another 30k in them. Local mechanic said it will need new rear shocks soon. Tremendous value for my money vs. needs and it still averages 21 mpg hwy!

Good fuel economy considering it's an suv. Comfort. Reliability. Very low maintenance.

Easier access to lights needed for replacing bulbs. Better speakers. Make tow hitch standard.

Great Northern Vehicle but!
By John

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this Jeep since new and it's a lot of fun to drive and for the most of it my wife drives it to and from work a two miles total but after it turned 50,000 miles a lot of little things started to loosen up like the front fenders, shift knob etc. Had to replace the alternator twice and went through three batteries. It now has eighty thousand miles and had to have the transmission seals replaced and now the transfer case for the four wheel drive. So if I ever buy one again I will have to BUY the warranty extended plan but what a shame when other vehicles come with a 100 thousand mile and ten year warranty for free.

I do love owning a Jeep it has great handling and excellent 4 wheel drive handling in the winter.

Stop using cheap parts for making the transmission And build a stronger alternator.

Fired Up!!!!
By Fired Up!!!!!

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Liberty for 5 years and have had zero problems with it. It has been wonderful. The problems that have been described with tires and handling I have not experienced. My Liberty has taken everything that has been thrown at it from hail storms (without a dent) to near blizzard conditions (without a slide off). Awesome vehicle.

4x4, AC, Stero, interior comfort, all weather handling, stability & SAFE

Improve the chrome package. Within one month the fake plastic chrome (Mopar) wheel covers were gone and the fake chrome grill will fade. That's it