Used 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Base Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (36 reviews )

It is a beautiful, but very un-safe car.
By Rebecca

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I love my loaded 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. It is comfortable and a great looking family car. However, I would never put my family actually in it. It is unsafe. Delayed acceleration and then a "surge" of acceleration, shuts off randomly while driving, the radio often does not work. These three issues are well known and Hyundai is unable to fix them. Please read other reviews prior to purchasing for a family.

Totally different ride experience
By Dale Bohenstengel

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Car shifts different, seems to run and shift points are off when cold,nice ride on e-way, easy to use options, braking is awesome, style and looks are noce

3 points of disappointment
By Nancy Kneip

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

1. Passenger seat 4-5" lower than driver's. Dealer made no attempt to correct.
2. Mileage lawsuit didn't make up for cost, didn't address carbon exhaust (pay extra for hybrid!)
3. Lease end fee $400 + "damage" from normal wear for 3 years = $1000 additional cost of lease!
Will never buy another Hyundai!

terrible experience
By gesiggie

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I bought my 2012 Sonata Hybrid last year and was originally very pleased with it, with the exception of the seat design. The headrest comes too far out and pushes your head forward. I could get over that, though. What I can not get over is the shuddering that began just over a month ago. I've had it into the dealership 4 times, and after upgrading the software which didn't solve the issue, they tell me the shuddering I experience every time I stop is 'normal'. The drive is no longer 'fun', but stressful, as I brace myself each time I see a stop sign. It's a rough ride for driver and passengers alike. I would not recommend this car to anyone. Sadly, I'm stuck with mine.

Exterior sporty look.

The mysterious shuddering needs to be addressed.

Finally Got it Right!
By gilbertgirl47

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Purchased 2012 Hybrid in Aug 2012. Loved it.
After a week, it started 'lurching' sometimes and the gas mileage wasn't what I expected.
After complaints to the dealership my car's computer(s) was upgraded twice at no charge and now I get great mileage and no more lurching. Drive 60% in town and 40%
highway.
I average 37mpg but on long road trips get 39-42mpg, sometimes higher. Have seen 50mpg. Hubby loves to drive my car more than his!
One reason we chose Sonata is that three of our grandchildren can ride in back with no problem. Stylish, fun to drive, roomy and we love it!
The trunk in the hybrid is smaller than the regular Sonata, but plenty of room for luggage for a road trip for 2.

Interior design, abundant leg room, comfortable seats in front and back, dual air controls in front (for driver and front passenger) and separate controls in back. Windows can be opened/closed after car has shut off (but before door is opened). Love the silent electric engine. That caused many startled looks when we first got it. No engine noise when first on and rolling at a low speed. Key-less entry and key-less start button. Wonderful warranty. No premium gas required! Exterior design is beautiful, too. Very sleek.

Please make the front passenger seat with electric adjustment controls to raise/lower the seat. Right now, it only slides forward or backward and the tilt controls with a lever. I feel like I am sitting in a bucket when my husband is driving and I am in the passenger seat (I am 5'5") in both his Sonata and my Sonata Hybrid. Still, it is a comfortable bucket! Other than that, I love it just the way it is. Waited to post my review until the bugs were out and I had a chance to drive it for awhile. I would buy it all over again, especially since I think they have ironed out the problems in the newest hybrid model. A great car with a wonderful lifetime battery!