2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (33 reviews )
terrible experience
By gesiggie on 08/02/14 10:12 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I bought my 2012 Sonata Hybrid last year and was originally very pleased with it, with the exception of the seat design. The headrest comes too far out and pushes your head forward. I could get over that, though. What I can not get over is the shuddering that began just over a month ago. I've had it into the dealership 4 times, and after upgrading the software which didn't solve the issue, they tell me the shuddering I experience every time I stop is 'normal'. The drive is no longer 'fun', but stressful, as I brace myself each time I see a stop sign. It's a rough ride for driver and passengers alike. I would not recommend this car to anyone. Sadly, I'm stuck with mine.

Finally Got it Right!
By gilbertgirl47 on 06/15/14 17:00 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Purchased 2012 Hybrid in Aug 2012. Loved it. After a week, it started 'lurching' sometimes and the gas mileage wasn't what I expected. After complaints to the dealership my car's computer(s) was upgraded twice at no charge and now I get great mileage and no more lurching. Drive 60% in town and 40% highway. I average 37mpg but on long road trips get 39-42mpg, sometimes higher. Have seen 50mpg. Hubby loves to drive my car more than his! One reason we chose Sonata is that three of our grandchildren can ride in back with no problem. Stylish, fun to drive, roomy and we love it! The trunk in the hybrid is smaller than the regular Sonata, but plenty of room for luggage for a road trip for 2.

Bad Mileage....Worse Customer Support
By badsaturn on 03/20/14 11:42 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I own a 2012 Sonota Hybrid Limited. I am currently getting 24mpg in city driving. I have done all of the service upgrades recommended by this forum and it's readers. I met with a field rep today to discuss the poor mileage. He told me as long as I get 23mpg or better Hyundai won't do anything for me. I have spent numerous hours on the phone with Hyundai and several trips to dealerships without any effect. Sorry, that is not good enough...this is the third Hyundai we have purchased since 2010. One would think Hyundai would value me as a customer. Apparently not. Too bad....I like the car other than the mileage. Hyundai does not stand by their customers based on my experience. Won't buy again.

Missing the Mark, but still a nice car.
By michelangelo7 on 10/09/13 07:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I purchased my 2012 Sonata Hybrid new from the dealership. This was my first "fancy" car, as I had always gone either base model or used in the past due to financial difficulty, but I was finally in a position to spoil myself a bit, and was able to justify my expense in the fuel savings, or so I though... Highway miles truly are 38-40, and I can even get that if "cruising", but only if the weather is nice, and traffic is light. Here in the Midwest we get temperature extremes which effect the fuel economy a great deal, and stop and go city driving averages 32 mpg which is no where near what they had advertised. My friends all say I drive like an old man too, so I know it's not just me...

Very comfort ride but poor gas consumption
By gleung81 on 08/25/13 19:21 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I was attracted by the high tech package and the exterior design. Very well designed on the looking. But absolutely disappointed with the MPG. I knew the MPG will be off a bit from the sticker, but didn't expect THAT MUCH of a difference. Sticker states 5.2L/100km combined, I am getting 7.1 - 7.3L/100km. This is no where near to the sticker MPG. I am a gentle driver, so it's not my driving style issue. Acceleration response time is slow, need to give an extra 1 - 2 second when making a left. I wasn't aware of this when I had my test drive, start to realize as I drive it daily. Not sure if this is common for all hybrid. Alignment is starting to pull to the left after 2 weeks.

Best car ever
By ancasterguy on 06/02/13 20:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I purchased my hybrid with everything. I took the Nav package with red and the tan interior. The handling is great. Mileage is great! Looks of the car is great. I get so many compliments. Awesome car! LOVE IT! It drives so smooth and quiet. I have read where some people complain of slight delays when they hit the gas. I've never noticed that. It has lots of power when I push the pedal. Just a wonderful car. The selection on here for model only gives "base" as a selection. In Canada we get base, then LTD then Navigation package which has the works. Not really any options to buy other than winter floor mats.

Over sold
By secrets on 05/14/13 10:49 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

We bought this car strictly for the fuel economy. We were trading up from a 23mpg vehicle to a 40mpg car. We have never gotten more tha 35mpg with an average of 30.1mpg. I normally never buy new, and I will not buy a hybrid ever again. Knowing then what i know now i would have bought the cheaper turbo model. We are very disapointed with the MPG.

Has not delivered on mileage
By chauffeurboy on 04/22/13 16:55 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I purchased this vehicle as a replacement for a 2011 regular Sonata that was written off in an accident. I thought this would be a good opportunity to take advantage of the potential fuel savings given that I commute 110 kms daily. I cannot understate my disappointment. My 2011 Sonata averaged 31mpg and my hybrid averaged 35 mpg. I did a comparison of my fuel expenses and mileage. Over a 26000km period I saved approximately 198 litres. Based on todays gas prices of 1.14.9 this translates to an annualized savings of $227.00. Over a 5 year period the savings is nowhere close to the $5,000 dollar premium I paid to purchase a hybrid.

Great hybrid owned it 1 year now
By gome1 on 04/21/13 23:56 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Great buy I have top of line loaded wht pearl /tan leather, glass roof best sunroof! 23 k miles on it I commute 45 miles daily average about 37mpg city & hwy combine ,40mpg traveling I drive normal some times on curies control I due use high octane fuel ,tire air pressure 35 psi ,syntitic oil every 3700 miles ,air filter every 15k.I get lots of compliments from friends & strangers asking what is it how nice.I owned Lexus Mercedes Cadilac BMW same quality so far for the money lots more to offer two many to list,example rear heated seats!

Awesome and It gets the MPG+
By hisliving on 04/15/13 07:44 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I read all of the Edmunds review. In a very minor way, i saw a small bit ogf the "lurching". Nothing I would not have expected at all...very very minor. I proudly got 38.5 driving to and in the mountains. Upon return, I recevived 42.5 mpg due to less hilly route upon return. Best vehicle coice I have made. Price, value, MPG, comfort and style!! looks awesome!!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid in VA is:

$130 per month*