Fuel Gauge, Estimated Range, and MPG
By djg77 on
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
I recently hit 3,200 miles on my 2.0T with front wheel drive. I've noticed some strange issues with the fuel gauge, and after some research on various message boards, the issue is very common. The dash display of the Santa Fes includes digital readouts that show you your average MPG on your current tank of gas , your estimated range (how far you can travel until you need more gas), and a bar composed of little "bricks" that shows you how much gas you have left. The bricks disappear as your gas tank empties. Until Hyundai fixes whatever is wrong with them, expect wildly inaccurate readings.
Favorite Features
1. My digital dash display routinely tells me I have about a 330 mile range immediately after I fill up. Based on a 17.4 gallon tank that would mean the computer is estimating an average of 19 mpg. Either that or it is actually estimating the distance until the fuel light comes on, which I think is around 14 or 14.5 gallons (3-3.4 gallons remaining). I'm not sure which is true. 2. If I drive exclusively on the highway I can get my average mpg rating up to 31 mpg or so, according to the digital dash display. Using simple math that means the range indicator should compute a range of about 540 miles on a 17.4 gallon tank. And yet the range indicator still counts down from ~330 miles or so.
Suggested Improvements
So obviously I'm not actually averaging 31 mpg at all, and something isn't working properly. 3. After filling up the first time along the highway this past weekend, my first fuel gauge "brick" disappeared after 78 miles. The second one disappeared about 11 miles later, the third about 15 miles after that. By the time a full quarter of a tank had counted down, I'd gone almost 110 miles. By the time I had one bar left on the gas gauge, I'd gone about 350 miles. On the next tank the first brick disappeared 60 miles after fill up, the second one 15 miles after that, the third about 15 miles after that. On that leg, one quarter tank had yielded about 90 miles. Same driving conditions.