Used 2006 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

A Really Great Car
By JULES KIRCHAIN

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was purchased in California and driven to Florida, back to California and back to Florida. Absolutely no trouble. I recommend the Hyundai Elantra very highly. The front seats are not comfortable on long trips however around town they are adequate. This car gets great gas mileage. The only mechanical problem was the original catalytic converter failed at 60,000 miles but it was covered under warranty and was replaced. Oh, by the way, the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty is simply fantastic. I wil never buy another car unless it has the 10/100000 warranty.

My Car Air Bags don't deploy
By Raul E. Garcia Sr

2006 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was involved in an accident and the airbags did not deploy. I contacted the Dealer here in town (Mesquite TX) and they send me to the Manufacturer, did not fix my airbags. Manufacturer did not accept any responsibility and just said: contact your dealer. Never heard of them again. I have to drive my poor car, with no airbags, and the dealer won't listen to you. Don't buy Hyundai cars. They stink! No customer service, and they don't care if you are injured or not. Tires have to constantly be replaced, specially the right rear tire. And Power Steering pump went out at 35000 miles. no warranty cover.

Ralph in Mesquite Texas

Best car I have owned.
By Karen

2006 Hyundai Elantra Limited SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

It has been totally dependable. I have not put it through alot of miles so I can't testify for long term. My problem is getting in and out all the time.

Nothing but problems
By pinache2

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

On one hand, I have made this little car work hard. This car has driven from Florida to California and halfway back pulling full 5x8 Uhaul trailers. It has driven from Northern to Southern California and back. On the other hand, I have had this car since 35k. In that time I have replaced the power steering pump 6 times. I have replaced everything else power steering-related at least twice. I have replaced many aspects of the exhaust system, the wheel bearings, anything and everything brakes including the brake lines, most fuses, the controls for the locks and windows, and more. I continue to average a few thousand every year in repairs since I bought this car.

Easy drive, simple layout

116,800 mi, 8 years--never let me down!
By jasonhk

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I'm surprised at all the mixed reviews here. I live in PA and bought my Elantra new in '06. roughly 6 months are cold, some snowy. I do 50% highway, 50% city. I do all recommended maintenance and in almost 8 years, changed brake pads 2x, tires 3x, headlights 4x, radiator 1x (102kmi), and an 02 sensor. The car NEVER let me down and repairs have been minimal and reasonable. I'm considering getting a new Elantra due to greater safety specs, but I'm leaning towards just putting in another new timing belt at 120 and doing the service. I totally see myself getting over 200K. Those who report bad things probably beat the hell out of their car. Just take care of it!

Fuel economy has been good...I generally get ~ 400 mi/tank. Don't ask me why I measure it that way! It comes out to what, 35 mi/gal? It's been an inexpensive and reliable care...there is at least one thing I'd improve...next section.

The windows tend to get very foggy...like more so than they should. The AC blower usually fixes it, but the windows get foggier than they should and more often they they should. Don't know what's up with KAG, but oh well.