2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Great little car...
By glassfern53 on 05/01/08 17:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This Elantra was my second Hyundai (and, I'll probably buy another). Never had a single problem with this car. The gas mileage is ok (24 mpg city and up to 30 mpg highway). I'm a fanatic about maintenance, but, great quality at a good price. Thanks Hyundai for this baby!

Awesome Car
By shall14 on 03/12/08 13:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my GT used in Oct 2005. The car has ample power off the line and for passing on the highway. The ride is quiet, and the Sport Tuned Suspension improves handling over the GLS. The interior has held up very well in the time I have had it. Plenty of room in the back, I actually fit four girls back there during a night on the town. Hyundai really dropped the ball eliminating the GT sedan in 2006. The current SE model offers a lot of the same features, but it does not handle as well as the GT and the electric steering does not give the same feedback.

A great buy, few problems
By Rings on 01/14/08 05:34 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2004 Elantra is definitely something i will be keeping around for awhile. Some people might say that Hyundai does not make reliable cars, I don't know about Hyundai's past but i assure you that this sedan is nothing but reliable. I had purchased the car with only 18,000 miles on it and now it has over 50,000 in just one year. I still have not run into a single mechanical problem nor any interior problem. I had to replace the brakes but those are wearing parts. I drive both highway and city getting a 28mpg. It is most definitely not at its best when in snow though, it is actually not a snow friendly car at all. Ill just take it easy in snow and keep driving fun, good on gas, reliable car

Great overall, lousy in snow
By alfagirl on 12/21/07 08:14 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd Elantra, first being a 99 wagon; pleased with both, but one consistent problem: both are horrendous in snow. I think the tires are just too wide, and they float. I've driven in snow all my life - Italian sports cars to trucks; these are the first cars I've ever been seriously uncomfortable in. Snows all around help, but narrower rubber would be the best. Overall, great car, 5- spd gets 34 mpg consistently - on my 8 mile commute and highway (at 80 mph last time). Just replaced rotors all around - I don't normally go through brakes, but..??? Would recommend to anyone - great package for the price!!

Everything I wanted
By Rudy on 08/18/07 20:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car because I regularly travel on two lane roads for two to three hours at a stretch. I wanted something that gave a comfortable ride, had good pull up hills, and got 30+ miles to the gallon. My Elantra gave me all of that. We are now looking at the 2008 Elantra for a family car.

04 GLS Elantra
By Ashley on 04/21/07 17:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car brand new. Very good for about 1.5 years, then had to replace brake pads 2 times in 1 year, among other problems. Not good handling, car does not want to turn. No acceleration.

Love this car!
By someone_somewhere on 04/12/07 14:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car over 2 years and never had a problem with it except one little dash light that stuck on and Hyundai fixed it free with no hassles.

So far so good
By Mike on 01/06/07 14:00 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I received this car new as a graduation gift and since I have put on 78,000 miles and have had it just shy of 3 years. It has been a dependable car, and has had no mechanical issues since 2004. I don't know if I would by a Hyundai again, not that it has been bad, but rather because although it has been a good car, the scheduled mantainence is rather pricy, and rather frequent. Gas mileage also needs to improve over what it is (never above 30 in city...expect around 27/8, never above 34 highway...expect 31) If looking at cars, definitely give this one a look.

watch out for that warranty
By john o on 07/25/06 14:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

they fail to tell you how much is excluded from the warranty and non warranty repairs are very expensive

Exactly what I need.
By JeffGuidry on 07/01/06 12:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I use this car as a daily commuter in Houston and for about once monthly trips home to Louisiana. Gas mileage averages 27/28 mpg in combined city/highway driving, and mileage on the highway varies depending on how much speeding up/slowing down I have to do for 18 wheelers and slower traffic. I have gotten as good as 40 mpg on one trip setting the cruise control on 70. The car is remarkably comfortable and quiet for a compact car. The OEM tires have nearly 40,000 miles on them and will soon need replacing (strangely, the rear tires wore down sooner than the front tires, having never been rotated.) I am a very heavy man and the car is quite comfortable, even on my 4 hour road trips.