Used 2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Still going after 5 years
By KSierra

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Elantra just a little over 5 years ago and itís still going. I purchased the extended 100,000mi/10yr bumper to bumper warranty. Iíve had to have my air bag sensors (both driver and passenger)and Kenwood CD player replaced. Iíve also replaced my headlights a few times. Didnít have to pay for any of it! I leave my headlights on ALL the time so burning them out is to be expected. Over all Iím am super happy with my Elantra. I drive between 20 and 30 miles every day on average and get great mileage. Maintenance is a little pricey (in for my 60k,today ouch!) but the dealership is reliable and friendly (same guys in the service department since I got my car!)

All the standard options make it a great value-especially the safety features. Love my color - Tidal Wave (Blue). Handles well. Fabulous warranty that is far outlasting my car payment! Fun to drive. Good amount of space for a "compact" car.

Paint is a little thin. And road noise can be a little loud sometimes. Keyless trunk entry would be great.

A big time lemon!!!
By John N

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car gave me problems practically from the get go. The air conditioner went out literally 8 times in the 5 years I owned it!!! The first 6 were covered under warranty, but after the warranty expired, the dealership refused to stand by their work and fix it for free. Also, both cv joints went, and the cooler system needed major repairs. All of this before 80,000 miles, and I was meticulous with the maintenance. I never missed anything. I will never buy a Hyundai again.

The warranty, because with Hyundai, you'll need it quite often.

Make a more quality vehicle. There was simply no excuse for this car having all of the problems it did.

Great Little Car for Everybody
By nr1989

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car a few months ago from a lady who rarely drove it, only 9,000 miles in 5 years. Bought the car for my Grandmother, she likes the compact size because it is easier for her to drive and park. Have taken the car on small tips and 2000 mile trips, it is comfortable and will drive all day without a problem. Car has a lot of power, even my 20 something friends who have driven have commented on how quick it is. I never thought I would buy a foreign car, but this little Hyundai is great for everyone.

Power from a 4 Cylinder, Classy upholstery, smooth and quiet engine.

Separate seek/tune knobs, alloy wheels

Some Problems but overall a decent car
By Former Truck Guy

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle used in August of 08 to replace a wrecked vehicle. It is fun to drive. I average 28 miles to the gallon. I have replace two headlights and have had numerous break problems with both the rear brakes and the E brake. Hyundai has not been kind about repairs.

Power moon roof and manual transmission

Brakes and headlights. This could be just maintenance issues.......time will tell.

good little car
By robert

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for 4 years and put 150000 miles on it I am on my 4th set of tires found out not all tires work on this car have had a brake caliper stick right front that wore that pad out quick it was fixed under warranty just drove to Indiana from texas and back 2000 round trip and on a couple tanks of gas got 41 miles per gallon I have enjoyed this car and would buy another for the price been very dependable never left me stranded on the road like some other cars have

driving -handling lots of fun sound system dependable

not good in snow i agree with another review almost dangerous price for repair parts outrageous rotors and calipers might as well own lexus