Used 2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

LIFE SAVER!
By ringman

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in May, 2005 for my daughter (it only had 28000 miles). I own 2 mercedes' and a vette, but this car was quite comfortable and well built for the price --- definitely a great value. On July 4, a drunk driver collided with my daughter head-on on the freeway (est. closing speed of 140 mph!). My daughter survived with bruises and a back injury which she will recover from --- but, she may have been killed or paralyzed in another car (as was the passenger of the other car). As I see it, this car saved her life!!!

Favorite Features

SAFETY. Of course, the value, standard features, all of that cargo space, style, ride, etc. were great. But, the safety is the most important! After all, what good is all of the other stuff if you lose your life in an accident?

Suggested Improvements

Are you kidding? She's alive and walking!

Great car for the money
By J. Glaser

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In less than 3 years i have put 60,000 miles on this car. I had a few issues in the begining with superficial maintenance, but overall this has been a fantastic car for the money. It has reasonable performance, great cargo space, stylish, and as I already said, economically priced.

Favorite Features

Body design, a lot of cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Dash could be more user friendly. A bit underpowered with 4 people and the A/C on. Up it to a 2.2L or offer a turbo model and I would definitely get a new one.

Reliable and roomy
By Astrid Klocke

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in 2002, put 38,500 miles on it since. Only complaint: brakes started to wobble at 15K, dealer said the rotors need to be resurfaced. Supposedly the extreme temperature differences in the AZ mountains warped the metal. Not covered by warranty! That stinks, especially since my brake pads are still over 1/2 good. Car is roomy for my huge dog with the seats folded. Tires and FWD perform well in snow at 7,000 feet. Love this car and will buy another Hyundai when this one is out of warranty - despite the brakes. I just live with the wobble. Had Chevy, Grand Marquis, Audi before. The GT is the most reliable by far.

Favorite Features

Foldable seats, roomy interior, moonlight, stereo, good tires, inexpensive service, okay gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the clear coat, it scratches easily. Brake rotors! Improve lighting in back. Make sun visors more flexible. They are either only up or down. Mid position would be nice for tall people. I have to slide down in seat with visors down, can't see the car in front of me well enough otherwise.

HyundaI Elantra GT
By NMayer

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think it is a GREAT car. Would buy Hyundai again.

It's still just a cheap car.
By Big Muggle

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has a few things going for it: leather interior, blue dash lights, fog lamps. It seems reasonably solidly built, and the engine is powerful enough for me. However, I think the essential cheapness of the car is evident in some of the mechanical and safety components. There have been 2 safety recalls, the catalytic converter had to be replaced (warranty) and the transmission had to be reprogrammed (warranty). The transmission is still clunky, the car vibrates under braking (cheap rotors), and also at highway speeds. The steering is totally numb (think '72 Olds), so the car is no fun to drive. Headlights awful. Windshield awful in rain. Hey, it was cheap. Next time, Mazda 3.

Favorite Features

The interior is OK, although the seat is not so comfortable for me. Leg room limited. Cup holders very good! I like the sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Need quality breaks, headlights, windshield, transmission, steering, etc. This could have been a really good car with better components. Gas mileage -- very average, 23mpg in mostly local driving.