2007 Honda Odyssey Consumer Review: Problems, Problems, Problems -

2007 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Review

EX Passenger Minivan (3.5L V6 5-speed Automatic)

Problems, Problems, Problems - UPDATED
By edmund21 on

2007 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is an update of my 4/10/14 review. Since then I have had to replace the power steering rack and pinion and the front motor mount. The rack was a $1700. job and the mount $450. Honda USA refused to admit their recalled power steering pump damaged the rack and did not offer any "good will" discount. It's a money pit. I'm going back to German for my next vehicle. Here's my 4/14 review: I bought this van used. My mechanic, a 30 year veteran, did pre-purchace inspections on six Odysseys before we found a well maintained one with 60K. I was happy with the van for the first few months, and then....problem after problem: a blown power steering line, overheating caused by a faulty Honda fuse.

A bad power steering pump, and a leaking power steering rack (at 64K?!). I called Honda USA about the leaking power steering rack and asked them for what is known in the business as "Goodwill". They were arrogant, refused, and could care less about repeat customers. I will never buy another Honda. The power steering pump was recalled by Honda a month after I bought it, and three months after the new pump was installed the power steering rack started leaking. The power steering rack seal leak is a common problem in Odysseys - and is a $1700 repair. The defective pump Honda recalled let air into the system damaging the rack. The Odyssey is a badly designed vehicle. 4 SAFETY RECALLS SO FAR.

DO NOT BUY AN ODYSSEY, they have all kinds of hidden problems, buy a Toyota or a Nissan minivan, Consumer Reports rates their reliability well above the Odyssey. Don't buy into the Honda reliability myth. My BMW 1999 328i had fewer problems in fourteen years than the Honda Odyssey has had in one and a half years. I'm stuck with it for now. What's going to go next? This is one LOUD NOISEY VAN AT HIGH SPEEDS.