Used 2003 Honda Civic HX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Transmission!
By Cyndee

2003 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2003 brand new and most of my mileage was freeway for 4 of the 6 years. Positives: Mileage 38 mpg town and over 45 Hwy. Fun and zippy Negatives: Transmission at 90m bad noise and at 110 embarrassing. It's said to be a Civic problem avg. at 120m. Heater vents above stereo. In the winter with loud music blew 4 different Honda stereos before they put a Pioneer in for me. Replaced catalytic at 60m. Trunk leaked from day 1 under trunk and they never found it. Thank God I'm in So.Cal. I have had a bad time with my Honda, but still loved it. I can say I will not buy another when it finally dies!

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage 36-38 mpg still around town.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, Road noise, No heater vents near stereo

No So Happy Anymore
By Used to like Honda

2003 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

While the engine and gas mileage are good on this car the rest of it is not up to typical Honda standards. Right after purchasing it the trunk was leaking due to a seam that wasn't welded properly. The little bit of metal that is used on the body is cheap- dents very easily. Had light bulbs burn out in less than a year. Original tires are cheap-had to replace after 2 years and that's with snow tires on at least 5 month/yr. At not quite 3 years old new shocks and brakes. Oh and my favorite the turn signal/4 way relay switch I believe it's called just died for no reason-replaced at my expensive of course. And now the cd player decided to stop working. It loads and ejects w/o a cd in it.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is the only redeeming quality of this car.

Suggested Improvements

How about a bigger trunk opening? The trunk itself is a good size but the opening is useless. Why can't Honda make another hatchback that isn't that ridiculous SI model? Heck why can't Honda make a car that lasts more than a couple of years? Oh yeah because they're made in the USA now.

Best of both
By HappyHX

2003 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my HX Civic for a year now and I thank Honda for making such a great car for people who want to be environmentally friendly without sacrifice. The lean-burn V-tech engine is amazing in that it produces good power and the best gas mileage of any non-hybrid car in the U.S. You have to rev it up to get it to go, but it happily revs to redline and spins the front wheel in second gear. The transmission is silky smooth and I love the styling inside and out. And I saved $6k by not getting the hybrid. Smart car.

Favorite Features

Amazing drivetrain. Sexy interior and exterior styling. Excellent gas mileage and low emissions. Cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

I'd suggest upgrading the handling. Why not put the HX engine in a sedan as well to improve family mileage?

Love it
By asurfc2

2003 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This thing is gets as good of gas mileage as the Toyota Hybred and at $5000 less. not to mention it has a better look to it. A great buy if you want the hybred but can't quite afford it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Economical (but slow and noisy) Honda
By V-10PowerBaby

2003 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Let's get one thing straight. I love Hondas. Not because I'm "on the bandwagon", but because I've owned five of them. Accords, Civics, and even a DOHC Del Sol. I have always been treated with the utmost respect by all of Honda's personnel, and the darn cars just refuse to break, no matter how hard I've pushed them (did I mention the 160+hp DOHC VTEC Del Sol?) My work commute suddenly grew to 35+mi. each way last Nov., so I had to trade the V-10 4X4 in on something, shall we say, more practical...and a whole lot more reliable.

Favorite Features

Great MPG (if you set the cruise right at the speed limit). I'm getting 42+MPG. This car is SOLID. The 5spd is smooth as silk. Proven Honda reliability and customer service.

Suggested Improvements

Engine is gutless (Civic is 3rd slowest in Car and Drivers top 100 tests, check near the back of the mag.) Way too much road noise. Interior is 99.9% plastic, which breathes and leaves a residue fog on the windows. The engine DOES surge. The braking and roadholding are sub- par.