Used 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

VERY Tough Truck
By Nate

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

My truck is a bare-bones model set up for hard work--manual trans and 4WD, no carpet, plow mount, etc--and it's main use is hauling firewood. It's often driven off road into the forest on extremely rough ground, then out again fully loaded with green oak. I've got to be at the 9200lb GVW, but the truck still performs very well. The granny gear gets the load moving with no problem, and the dual-piston calipers stop her just fine. On the road and unloaded, the truck rides very nicely for a vehicle with so much load- handling capacity. All-in-all, I've been very impressed.

Pleased
By Gary

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We enjoy our 2500K HD Diesel powered truck except the cloth seats (front) are not comfortable on long runs. We are of average weight and find ourselves having to stop frequently. The seat become flat and loose cushion after being seated for short lengths of time. Order leather bucket if you can.

Favorite Features

Love the diesel torque power for towing and it's quietness compared to others

Suggested Improvements

Interior seats (front)

Best GMC I have owned
By Great truck, Rich

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

End of year clearance when I bought it. I got a good deal. I use it for work and hauling a 5th wheel camper. You hardly know you have the camper behind it. It is a pleasure to drive and with nearly 90k miles it is rattle free and quiet. The long bed makes towing a pleasure. The 4 wheel disks brakes are3 greatpaired with the ABS, I still have more than half the pads left, my other car is a Ford ambulance, I'll take the GMC any day over the Ford, Dodge is noisy and only has short beds with the crew cab. I'm planing on a new GMC soon with a few more bells and whistles.

Favorite Features

The steady ride I get with the long bed and the Duramax diesel that starts in the coldest weather. That seems to be just braking in now. And did I say it was quiet?

Suggested Improvements

The same as all trucks, better fuel economy. I would like to see the fuel filter more accessible, I'm sure there is more but I can't think of them now.

2002 Gmc Duramax, 4wd Crew Cab
By Rich Hartmann

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

One of the best trucks I have owned. I have had no problems whatsoever. the biggest repair (only repair) was a universal joint. I tow a 5th wheel camper and am quite satisfied with the performance. Braking is smooth and sure in all conditions, the 4 wheel disk brakes still have a long way to go when checked at 80+k miles. I do my own maintenance and have crawled under and around this truck and I am impressed with it's sturdiness and build quality. It has what appears to be one of the most massive frames in any similar truck I've looked at. I like everyone else would like to see better fuel economy. I would like to see an easier to change fuel filter. Yes I will buy another GMC, probably in 0

Favorite Features

Appearance width and stability, the antilock 4 wheel disk brakes, don't need a step ladder to get into the 4wd truck. A real truck with a solid frame. A great tow vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy (All trucks) More accessable maitainence (fuel filters) and such. Don't make it look like a Japanese truck or Dodge. Teach the dealers to properly service diesel trucks.

DMAX
By Herc

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have put 52000 miles on this truck and it has performed well. I had a few problems at first but the only problem I still have is the AC. The AC still does not blow cold off and on during the summer. Been in 6 times for it now it is out of warrantee. I tow a 5th wheel rv and a 36' flat bed trailer and it does supurb.

Favorite Features

DMAX, Allison Trans, Seats

Suggested Improvements

Overhead console is pretty much usless, rearview mirror does not go dark enough or fast enough, larger standard tires.