Used 1998 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 GMC Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

My GMC is still strong
By Phillip T

1998 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

Not sure with the others, but with 162,000 miles, our Jimmy has never failed on the road. Great, timeless looks, comfy ride and comfy interior. Very reliable, in its time the Cat-converter was replaced at 150k, fuel pressure regulator at 155k (typical of these motors), and the rear axle seals leaked ruining the parking brake, and rear brake rotors, a 600 dollar repair. And recently the master cylinder was replaced due to a weak brake pedal. But no major failure ever, and still runs very strong. The 4.3L V6 provides great torque. And the 4L60E transmission is smooth, and originally responsive, though a bit sluggish sometimes. I love this little Jimmy, I'll drive it 'til the wheels fall off

Great ride, reliability, front seat comfort. The stout 4.3 will last a long time. Timeless looks. The dash is meant for the driver, with easy to read guages, and driver facing Sterio, and A/C controls.

90s GM dash quality. Rear seat comfort, you don't want the back. Cargo hooks on the cargo floor are impossible to get up by hand. Transmission is getting weak after 160,000 miles, the last 2,000 are getting iff-y. Shifts into 2nd in the summer heat.

I must be one of the lucky ones
By e5husmc

1998 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought vehicle with 5000 miles on it in 98. We have used it to pull a 2600 lbs bass boat and my wife drives it everyday. Replaced alternator around 80,000, replaced A/C compressor and right front wheel hub around 127000, and I am now putting in my 4th battery. These are normal problems with a vehicle with high mileage. Also had to take out turn signal switch a clean it to make it stop clicking. Rides nice, back seats are big enough for children but kinda tight for adults. Overall has been a good vehicle.

Smooth ride, shift-on-the-fly 4wd, cargo space

Redesign steering linkage so #3 spark plug is accessible.

Absolute Horror!
By cmmbowl300

1998 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

My Jimmy has almost 180,000 miles on it ,but I have replaced just about everything on it, and in fact it is in the shop right now again. I have a new engine at 100,000 miles and new transmission at 80,000, new fuel lines, brakes, wheel bearing, fuel pump, starter, waterpump, front axles, and that not all. I don't have enough words to state what all I have done to this. Fun to drive, I guess that is my best feature on it. Waiting to find out what this next thing is going to cost me as the ABS light is on and I don't think I can take it much longer. Would never ever in my life buy another GM product!

Fun to drive

Put it on the train tracks so it can be destroyed when a train hits it, or in the bottom of the ocean would work too.

GMC Jimmy
By gmc owner

1998 GMC Jimmy SLS Sport 4dr SUV

Really have liked the car. Have had no problems with it. Regular mainrenance has helped to keep it in good condition.

Seating, able to haul large items. Fold down seats, ability to see over the hood due to automatic seat.

Seat adjustment for backrest is plastic and breaks easily. Need more compartment storage.

Too many problems
By MakeItAdouble

1998 GMC Jimmy SLS Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Lots of trouble; Heater core plugged 2002 blew out w/water hose. Water pump 2005, brakes & rotors every two years, Ignition switch cause many starting and performance problems 2003, Wipers stopped 2005- This is from the motors cicuit board getting cracked soldered joints, look up online to repair yourself. Door hinge pins shot-2005. Passenger seat handle broke off-2002. Intake manifold leaking 2005, Alternator-2005. Thermostat-2003. Hub assemblies-2002. Battery-2004. Other minor stuff. I learned a lot working on this piece of junk. Its no wonder GM is faultering.

Stereo is okay. Ride is good.

Take responsibilty for faulty parts GM. Like that circuit board for the windshield wipers. That can get people killed when they suddenly stop in the middle of traffic.