1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Tranny Problems Up the Wazoo
By gampa on 01/16/10 07:15 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Have Had nothing but problems with this car, many factory recalls, leaky tranny after torque converter replacede by factory, tranny problems since 50000 dealer states "nothing wrong". Brakes replaced more times than i care to count, the DOC design tranny impossible to find in order to replace. Teansmission shpould be on the recall..know numerous people with same year Aand same exact problems

Realiability at its best
By derson on 11/27/08 13:40 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased car for $1500. Needed car for personal/work. I use car on occasion for mail delivery. Roomy enough for trays in driver's seat, and comfortable enough to right-hand drive without hyper-extending the legs/arms. Gas mileage is excellent - 26mpg personal (I have over 141k), and 15-17mpg for work (I drive 72 miles and have over 300 starts/stops.) I recently replaced rack/tie rods/ball joints, but it was not Ford's fault. I curbed the tires when delivering mail. Great in snow. Have never been stuck - even in 10 inches of snow! Use Havoline oil & Seafoam - increased mileage 3-4mpg. My carrier just replaced his Taurus for new one. Wouldn't replace if wasn't reliable!

Crappy Taurus
By Kevin on 07/25/07 11:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Well, the only reason that I am driving this stupid jellybean is because it was free. My mom bought it and handed it down to me. I've been driving it for a little over a year, and I dont like it. Its somewhat reliable, but my power locks stopped functioning after 2 months. The stock rims are crappy, they are all corroded and gross. Also, it is a jellybean. There is not one corner on that car, everything is round and stupid looking. Its very comfortable though. Gas mileage isn't great but its not the worst I've seen. Lately the engine has been revving itself so thats not good. Check engine light never goes off because Ford designed a crappy gas cap.

It could be better, what is up with Ford
By Toni on 06/29/07 21:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

It was an OK car. No major repairs, but I guess I was lucky. I have another Taurus that was a lemon. I will never buy Taurus or Ford again. I hoped Ford could improve it rather than make it less reliable.

70K miles, no problems
By Golfnut on 09/10/06 14:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this new w/ incredible discounts, $8,000 off and 0.0% financing, no Japanese car can compare with that. The interior space is great, I'm 5'11", 270lbs and I have no problems getting in or out. I can not get into hardly any Japanese vehicle. I have not had to make any repairs on this vehicle and saved over $10,000 compared to comparable Japanese cars. I love my Taurus and will be giving it to my 16 year old son to drive because I know it is dependable.

40k and it's ready for the junk heap
By JoeCool on 04/09/06 09:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

A poorly constructed, planned obsolescent American embarrassment. All major components have worn out at about 40-50k miles. A strong reason why the Japaneses are decimating the American auto industry. Not recommended

Great car
By djeve715 on 11/23/05 23:23 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car for us. We have owned this car since there were only 4 miles on the odometer and the only repair has been the alternator and that was just this month. I have replaced brake pads once, that was only because I abused them. I am very satisfied with this car.

Detroit must do better
By Withheld on 10/26/05 16:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Bought after light use as an executive rental car. At 37,000 miles, power steering on front-drive car required complete replacement at great expense. Electrical system problematic (wipers turn on without human intervention). Full 60,000 mile maintenance done by dealer. Within one week, battery dead; car wouldn't start when hot. Finally died completely. Alternator/generator replacement. Auto transmission shifts taking longer and longer. Transmission locked into third on steep hill, engine lugged up hill, check engine light on, diagnosis: two cylinders blown, substantial repair required. Car being sold as-is, at substantial discount from nominal value, with 71,000 miles. Ford unresponsive.

Buy it again
By Raymond Allen on 03/10/05 14:31 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my parents 4 years ago. I have put over 80,000 miles on it without anything more than normal maintenance. The only problem I've had with the car is the brakes. The rotors warp after 8,000 to 10,000 miles, faster if driving in mountainous regions.

Good Car for the Price
By dhermesc on 02/14/05 11:57 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

We bought a '99 LX used in 2001 with 17,000 miles, paid $9,500. Pretty base model, no power locks, no power seat, steel wheels, base V6. It does have the AX4N transmission, the same one that goes in the Duratech powered cars, should last longer then the car - much better then the AX4S that normally goes in the Vulcan powered cars. Driven the car 66,000 miles with two repairs; the wiper washer pump and an exhaust sensor - total about $150. New rotors on the front at 60K, trannie flush at 40K. Paint looks good, interior is in good shape too even with two kids tearing it up. A good rock solid car for the money; bought my mom one just like it a month later for even less.