Used 1999 Ford Taurus LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Tranny Problems Up the Wazoo
By gampa

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Have Had nothing but problems with this car, many factory recalls, leaky tranny after torque converter replacede by factory, tranny problems since 50000 dealer states "nothing wrong". Brakes replaced more times than i care to count, the DOC design tranny impossible to find in order to replace. Teansmission shpould be on the recall..know numerous people with same year Aand same exact problems

Favorite Features

Get up and go of the dual overhead cams, comfortable quit ride

Suggested Improvements

Fix the stupid transmission problems, would buy one for the change in my pocket

Realiability at its best
By derson

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased car for $1500. Needed car for personal/work. I use car on occasion for mail delivery. Roomy enough for trays in driver's seat, and comfortable enough to right-hand drive without hyper-extending the legs/arms. Gas mileage is excellent - 26mpg personal (I have over 141k), and 15-17mpg for work (I drive 72 miles and have over 300 starts/stops.) I recently replaced rack/tie rods/ball joints, but it was not Ford's fault. I curbed the tires when delivering mail. Great in snow. Have never been stuck - even in 10 inches of snow! Use Havoline oil & Seafoam - increased mileage 3-4mpg. My carrier just replaced his Taurus for new one. Wouldn't replace if wasn't reliable!

Favorite Features

Everything. I especially like the safety ratings on this vehicle. Rides like a full-size car - very smooth.

Suggested Improvements

As other commentors have suggested, bring back this style of Taurus. I have owned two Taurus', and have not been disappointed.

Crappy Taurus
By Kevin

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Well, the only reason that I am driving this stupid jellybean is because it was free. My mom bought it and handed it down to me. I've been driving it for a little over a year, and I dont like it. Its somewhat reliable, but my power locks stopped functioning after 2 months. The stock rims are crappy, they are all corroded and gross. Also, it is a jellybean. There is not one corner on that car, everything is round and stupid looking. Its very comfortable though. Gas mileage isn't great but its not the worst I've seen. Lately the engine has been revving itself so thats not good. Check engine light never goes off because Ford designed a crappy gas cap.

Favorite Features

Uhhh.... its comfortable, the engine sounds cool when you floor it, somewhat reliable considering its got 105000 and counting on it.

Suggested Improvements

I wish my power locks worked, and my engine didnt rev itself, and it wasn't more round than an egg. I wish I could turn off the daytime headlights, I wish the gearshift wasn't on the side of the streering wheel cause thats real dumb. I wish I has a mitsubishi eclipse spyder instead :)

It could be better, what is up with Ford
By Toni

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

It was an OK car. No major repairs, but I guess I was lucky. I have another Taurus that was a lemon. I will never buy Taurus or Ford again. I hoped Ford could improve it rather than make it less reliable.

Favorite Features

It is a very comfortable car.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission. Radiator, rack and pinion went bad.

70K miles, no problems
By Golfnut

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this new w/ incredible discounts, $8,000 off and 0.0% financing, no Japanese car can compare with that. The interior space is great, I'm 5'11", 270lbs and I have no problems getting in or out. I can not get into hardly any Japanese vehicle. I have not had to make any repairs on this vehicle and saved over $10,000 compared to comparable Japanese cars. I love my Taurus and will be giving it to my 16 year old son to drive because I know it is dependable.

Favorite Features

No mechanical problems after 70,000 miles, Leather interior, ABS brakes, stereo, tires, interior space, truck space, folding rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

CD changer in the rear trunk is stupid, more powerful engine.