Used 2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.4L V8 Supercharger 6-speed Manual - (22 reviews )

Good Car
By mustangfan

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased mine after my GT was ruined in an accident it was not stock so I purchased a GT 500 hoping it would have more potential and it does In stock form. It is a very fun car but feels heavy to me. If looking for true monster Mustang upgrades are needed. Interior upgrade package is definite yes. Much more leather makes it feel nicer to me than plastic dash of other cars. Got Shaker 500 instead of Shaker 1000 no difference in quality just little less bass compared to other car. Replaced Goodyear tires with Nitto 555's and car sticks much better. I love this car but it was as expensive as a faster Vette. If I wasn't such a stang fan I would not have paid this much

Lots of potential. Lots of aftermarket suppliers for parts. Great look. 6 speed transmission

Heavy pig needs some weight out of front end.

Expectation shortfall
By Hawk

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased the car about two months ago. I didn't test drive it prior to purchase and I will never make that mistake again. I have owned most popular sport cars in the last decade from a Z01 Corvette to a Porsche Boxster and everthing in between and this car has been the biggest disappointment. The NAV quit working after a week. The shifter buzzes in neutral with the cluth out and the whole car shutters when you shift into first gear and the tranny is hot. Took to the dealership and they produced a factory notice saying this is "normal" on some lucky owners cars. Not worth the money. Sad it didn't live up to the legend. Wish I still had my Mustang GT.

Acceleration is good although the car is fairly quiet. The GT's exhaust note is much more throaty. This car you hear the supercharger and that's it.

The transmission needs improved no doubt. The cheesy cup holder lights need to go. The shaker 500 stereo sounds horrible.

Shelby GT500
By Todd

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Fun to drive. Sharp looking car. Wanted a little more throttle response, but very satisfied by overall performance.

Engine, and exterior design.

Antenna in windshield, and paint the stripes on.

Talk of the Town
By DPB

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

True Mustang fans can tell anyone, hey if your not a mustang fan keep your comments to yourself. Since I purchased my Shelby most people always ask "is it fast"? My first response is to say no, a 1976 Pinto could trash this junker. So I give in and say ya 500 hp can make anyone grin. People always want to compare cars. If you like Vettes buy a Vette, if you like Vipers buy a vVper, etc. All cars are different in shape size hp, torque, etc. That's why living in America is so rewarding. An average Joe like me can build his credit up and buy what ever he wants with in reason. Point to my story, Shelby Gt 500 holds true for being first once again, so here comes Dodge and Chevy trying to out do Ford.

Leather int. racing wheels, eaton super charger. All the wanna bes looking my way wishing they coud have a GT 500. Metallic paint. The break in period. The effort Carol Shelby and Ford Motor Company put into bring American muscle back to the USA.

A plaque signed by SVT racing team and Carol Shelby to seperate each GT 500. Dealers need to be less price happy $15,000 dealer price increase. I talked mine down to $55,995. Mine was built in 02 of 08. Give the sale time and the dealer will break a little.

Totally Awesome
By Gary

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I grew up in the 60's and 70's, road in and drove the fastest cars of the day-Shelby GT 500's, Charger 440 6- packs, SS 396 Chevelles etc. None of them hold a candle to the 08 Shelby. It is just plain scary fast. But, if you want a nice Sunday drive and keep it at 60 mph it will run all day at 25 mpg. The live rear axle is not the handling problem you may have heard about, even on bumpy entrance ramps and curves. Yes, you feel the bumps but the car stays on track. The shifter takes time to break in so be patient, the brakes stop the car as fast as the engine can accellerate it. My car is Vista Blue and it turns heads. I can't thank Ford enough for building this car at an affordable price.

Power, handling, fuel economy, appearance

Interior is just lacking something, its not "inviting." I can't put my finger on it exactly.