2002 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Very reliable
By gp8283 on 01/04/14 16:14 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 5.4L XLT that just passed 160K. Hardly any problems at all except for the air suspension needed to be worked on. Engine, transmission, and suspension are solid and runs great considering the mileage. Very roomy and can fit lots of people.

2002 4x4 "5.4L" Expedition
By memo217 on 03/18/13 10:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our expedition used. With 74,000 miles on it. We have all the spark plugs sleeved so we dont have to worry about it. It cost us $850. It runs like a top. Its a 5.4. So mileage is terrible. It broke down once only. Fuel pump. But at 130,000. I wont complain. Everyone wants to buy it from us. Not for sale says my son. So my wife drives a different car. I bought a 4 banger. And the expedition will be there as an extra or when needed.....next to my 02 f150 harley davidson. Great vehicles so long as u maintain them. Like any other vehicle.

Good Solid Truck
By drdavid1 on 12/14/11 13:43 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The only bad part of owning this vehicle is the gas consumption. Mine is the 5.4 Triton XLT and I have been the owner from 40,000 miles till a little over 100,000 now. If you need a solid vehicle with lots of room inside that tows a boat with no problems than you couldnt ask for more. Much more room inside than my friends Yukon and no road noise like the Pilot. Michelin tires make it smooth as silk on the highway. Its a little clumsy around town but what do you want from 6000 plus pounds. Ford should be proud of these vehicles. Mine has no rattles, none and cloth interior looks like new which is amazing at near 10 years old.

200,000 Miles?
By Terry on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

My Ford Expedition, believe it or not, actually has 200,216 miles and runs like brand new. It has the 4.6L and yes the spark plug has came out of my cylinder head, but that does not change that I LOVE THIS TRUCK! Got the K&N Intake, FlowMaster (single in-dual out, dumped), BF Goodrich 265-70 All Terrain T/A, and about $2,600 in interior goodies. The ride is unbelievable. 65 psi tires set at 42 psi make the handling awesome. And that FlowMaster really promotes the power that the 4.6L actually has when you put extra goodies on. The keyless entry and lighted side rails really puts a smile on my face. =)

Great Expedition
By Ceo's Expedition on 04/10/10 11:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle purchased it with 5 miles on it. Every single mile is accounted for. Have had some minor issues with it. Stock radio was overheating and shutting off so they had to install some type of fan behind it. A/C system had to be replaced under warranty. Since these issues back in '02-'03 haven't had any other problems with it. Have driven 3 times to Guadalajara, Mexico about 3500 mile round trip without any worries.

Great vehicle!
By HardLiquor on 09/13/09 14:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle in 2007 with 70,000 miles on her. Great truck...nice fit and finish. Very solid feel. Drives very much like a truck and not like a car. Can be a bit hard to maneuver in small parking lots. Has been very reliable though we really haven't driven it much. Truck has just over 90,000 miles now 3 years later. Nothing has broke...no fluid leaks. This is the first vehicle I've owned with this kind of mileage that didn't leak oil or tranny fluid.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS WITH 5.4L TRITON V8
By smileeeintiffin on 04/14/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I loved my expedition up until it left me stranded on a major highway due to a spark plug popping out!! And it is not an easy fix let alone how costly it is. Ford is aware of the major defect in these transmissions but will not correct the problem. To correct the problem the entire head must come off. Also if it is #4 spark plug than you must remove front of vehicle body to get to it properly. What a Joke!! Stay away from these vehicles. It will happen to you. They say the average mileage when this happens is 95000 miles. Mine has 94500. Imagine that. It is junk! Buyer Be Ware!

Passed up Lincoln Navigator
By LW on 02/09/09 21:18 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am happy with my vehicle. It was used and purchased for less than $5K. I wanted a Lincoln Navigator, but settled for the Expedition. I found that I made the best decision! Gas mileage is not that bad. If you buy a 2002 Expedition, just make sure it is mechanically sound. My truck is definitely Ford tough.

Not worth it!
By matt on 12/17/07 02:05 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my expo for the look, size, and extras but soon realized that I made a horrible mistake. I have had the air conditioner worked on 4 times with hot air coming out of the rear vents, celinoid has gone bad, possible cracked head gasket, pass side mirror will not adjust to set position, and oh yeah the gas mileage does hurt; duh. The room is great and the interior is fantastic but the little tick tack problems are killing me leaving me stranded in 13 degree weather twice. Oh well, live and learn!

Safe is Good
By Safe is Good on 11/01/07 19:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This was a great vehicle for us. The power was very good for pulling our ski boat or driving in heavy traffic. Being able to see above most other vehicles was very nice. The size and design proved to be a great benefit when I had a head-on collision at about 50 mph. I walked away with small abrasions to left leg (PTL).